Superjedi's FPH2 ESB for Covafett

What size tape do you use to mask the killstripes? I've seen a narrow tape that conveniently fits the width, but am unsure of the measurements (height, width, and spacing)

If you can help with me with that it would be greatly appreciated! I'm working on my first ESB paintup.

Thanks!

What size tape do you use to mask the killstripes? I've seen a narrow tape that conveniently fits the width, but am unsure of the measurements (height, width, and spacing)

If you can help with me with that it would be greatly appreciated! I'm working on my first ESB paintup.

Thanks!

Hi, yeah Tamiya makes their yellow masking tape in several widths. I use the 6mm tape to mask off between the stripes.
The size of the stripes will vary slightly based on which type of helmet you're doing. For example, the GMH is noticeably smaller than the FPH2, so the killstripes will be scaled a little differently.
It's best to just try to space them so that they line up with the other features on the helmet as much as possible.
That's one of the reasons I wait to do the killstripes until I have most of the dome painted. That way, I can use other damage on the dome as well as the rear panels as "landmarks" to make sure I'm scaling the killstripes correctly.

Thanks so much! Your work is outstanding. I used one of your paintups as a guide to get my progress moving. Lots to learn and for my first paintup it's going well with the "landmark" approach since I'm freehanding the paint with printout references.

Thanks for the reply!

You're welcome!
Like I've told many people, don't rely on any painter's work for reference. Use the real deal. There are a slew of shots in the reference gallery. (y)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back