Lemorseaplumes ESB Fett build (WIP)

I need to put the groomets in the vest I‘m very nervous!
BudaFett
I’m totally not saying my way was the best way to go about it. But it worked for me! Nerve-Racking? Absolutely, but once you get going on it, the rest I felt just fell into place so to speak. I started with the Collar Armor first, which I believe was key.

But like most, I was so nervous about messing up my $100 Arkady Flak Vest. Ya just gotta commit to it! I see that Lemorseaplumes used a smaller grommet than what I chose. My choice was based on what the 501st showed on their CRL.

-Iron

Clearly it can be done and done well! But the geometry of the armor can be so vexing to get right I just won’t take the risk with my vest. :rolleyes:
jedisushi
I totally don’t blame you for NOT wanting to take on such a daunting task. I contemplated for two full days before I made the jump! I think it helped that I bought the grommet kit and had it at my disposal, cause I was on the fence between that or Velcro. Glad I opt’d to do the Grommets. I know the guys at the 501st we’re impressed and thought it was ambitious of me to do it first try too.

Just curious, has anyone heard of or seen pics of any horror stories of it NOT working out for them? (Doing the Grommets) cause I think hearing about or seeing that would definitely have changed my mind.

-Iron

Impressive sewing! You’re well on your way.

Re: the cape, the stripe should be in the middle.
Thanks !

Oooops... ! As I said this cape is the only remain from a previous costume made for a carnaval 10 years ago. So go for a new one.
I have this large piece of beige wool cloth that might do the trick, very heavy, remain of my medieval reenactor days. What do you think ?
20220724_190450[1].jpg

I need to put the groomets in the vest I‘m very nervous!
Can't blame you... I have to say it wasn't a very pleasant experience !

First I determined the center of the vest and draw a line from collar to the edge, then (unlike Irongladiator :) ) I started with the abdominal plate because I wanted to have the right space betwen this part and the lower edge of the vest. I placed all the pieces and outlined them with a special chalk for tissue.

Then I determined the place for the groomets and started to put them. I had a full kit with a special little klamp with different tips that you are supposed to hit with a hammer to cut the tissue, then to seal the groomets. This was absolute sh**, it didn't cut properly the tissu, and I broke the damn klamp after 15 groomets. I had to slowly and gently hammered the edge of the last ones to make seal them...

The result is that some of the groomets shifted from their position... and look weird (from the inside of the vest so I don't really care :) or have bitten on the tissue...

20220725_200707[1].jpg
20220725_200646[1].jpg

Finally I placed all the armor pieces and marked the spots for the screw from inside the vest, through the groomets holes.
Turn out well, but if you look closely, their position are not very symetrical from the inside !
Fortunatly no impact on the way the placement looks from the outside, and that's the main thing !

Not a horror story, but close enough ;)

Lemorseaplumes
Kinda the reason I went a little bit bigger, so if need be I could shift them around. which for me…worked out great. I’m sure someone here has a horror story.

All I can say is that is not a quick and easy process. It took me close to 4 hours to get that done on mine. Especially the measuring 3 to 4 times per armor piece.

Slow and steady I think wins the race!

-Iron

Made my first attempt to paint by layers with humbrol masking fluid.

It wasn't that simple because this thing is quite difficult to place. I gave up using a brush and used a wooden stick instead, which was easier. The result is nice, although a little random.

However I have the impression that my green is a little too dark...

20220715_151849.jpg
20220715_164233.jpg

BIG STEP : time for the first suit up ever ! (except for the Jetpack, still working on the harness...)
Nothing is finished, but I wanted to see how it looks.

There is still so much progress to be made to be at the level I want o_O ...but do you feel this little Boba vibe ?

20220720_212103.jpg
20220720_212048.jpg
20220720_212014.jpg

Lemorseaplumes
Your setup definitely has that Boba-Vibe to it! I'm not an ESB Fett myself - so I'll leave it to better experts in the ESB arena. But if BudaFett approves, then I'd like to think yer on the right track!
1660319603127.png
1660319609073.png

That is some serious skill your daughter has there (for a 5yr old) I'd say that work of art is a keeper for sure!

Keep up the good work!

Best,
-Iron

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back