Iron's Jawa Build

Hi Lazerjock
Interesting on the container size. I’m gonna continue to move forward with it and just not expose as much. If it still looks off I can re-do it. Thanks for the feedback!
(y)

-Iron

Last edited:
Looking good Iron. Here is one I built years ago before I embarked upon Fett-def not as good as yours but thought I'd share. Also think its a good time to finally give you and Lazer a big shout out for your threads helping me on my ROTJ hero approval- BH60313 finished last March! Couldn't have done it without both of your build threads and many others here on TDH!! Awesome community and support here.

Attachments

• IMG-7595 - Copy.jpg
    IMG-7595 - Copy.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG-7594 - Copy.jpg
    IMG-7594 - Copy.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 236
603Fett
That's a great looking Jawa you got there! (y)

AND....Bravo by the way, on gaining entrance into the ranks of the 501st with your ROTJ Fett! Would love to see pictures of your setup!

Best,
-Iron

Another Update!

So, I think I'm nearing the end of the Jawa Ion Rifle - just need to seal it up. But it is crazy to think that it came from just this.....
(Photo Credit to Lazerjock )
Parts Used.jpg

To this.....
Jawa - ION Rifle - Finished with Rust - Pic 2.jpg

Jawa - ION Rifle - Finished with Rust - Pic 1.jpg

The Rusting Effect from that youtube video....
.....worked wonders! I was completely blown away by the results. Kinda hard to beat REAL Rust I guess huh? To do this I airbrushed a little rust color onto the blaster, which again all by itself looked horrible (I thought). Then I applied the Mod Podge, Iron Powder to the Ion Rifle and then made a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide, Salt and Vinegar into a spray bottle and it definitely gave it the look I was after! Here was what I used for that mix.....
Rust Mix.jpg

I also completed the face mask too.....
Face Mask.jpg

And here is a quarter for comparison on the eye size.....
Face Mask with Quarter for Comparison.jpg

I'm not overly concerned about the fabric and the way it is fitted to hide the bulginess of the gumball containers as when this is displayed at night it will not be noticeable.

I surprised that Wookiepedia has this pictured for their Jawa....
Jawa on Wookiepedia.jpg

Cause those eyes are honkin'! Had Lazerjock not said anything, that's probably how mine woulda looked. :oops:

Even the 501st model for their Jawa has some pretty big eyes too....
501st - Jawa - CRL.jpg

....I guess it just varies.

All that remains now is to create the fabric costume, hood and finish the leather bandolier attach the pouches, then fix it all to my Jawa. I'm having someone help me with the sewing. So should be finished in a couple weeks here I hope.

Best,
-Iron

Last edited:
Dude that rust looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!
I need to try that method.
Lazerjock
Not too shabby eh? ;)

Honestly, it wasn't very much money to achieve that effect!
I think it was $6.00 at Target for the three components and spray bottle.
I already had the Mod Podge, but if memory serves was only a few bucks for that jar.
And then the iron powder from Amazon for $9.99
Link to the Iron Powder: Bulk Iron Filings- 1 LB Iron Filings for Science Experiments, by American Heritage Industries: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

So all in all, about $20.00 - But again, what you get in return in nothing short of amazing! (At least to my eyes)

-Iron

**Jawa Update**

I have the Burlap and black cloth fabric trimmed and sent off to my Alterations gal to sew together. I even brought and shown her the mannequin I made, she had a good chuckle.
1631644705431.png

That was a couple weeks ago, She said two weeks, due to her work load. I'll follow-up tomorrow to see how it is going, but I'm getting excited to see the results!

Moving on to the sound system for my Jawa. I went looking for a small low profile wired speaker to play the Jawa sounds through. I found this from Amazon for about $15.00, which also had the added benefit of coming with a small 3 foot audio extension cable!
Rokono - Speaker.jpg

I also needed an MP3 Player, so I grabbed this with it, also from Amazon, for about $20.00....
Sandisk - MP3 Player.jpg

Not that I was terribly distraught by it, but the screen on that MP3 Player I can tell you is NOT Color - Hahaha! Saw Gerrera would say.....
Saw Garrera - Rogue One.jpg

I wanted the speaker to sit somewhat close to the head and for that I grabbed my speaker and headed to Home Depot. I grabbed....
5/16 in. x 3-34 in. Eye Bolt - Due to the shape/size of the speaker, I found that it fits in it perfectly.
EyeBolt.jpg

And here is what I came up with.....
Jawa Mannequin with Audio.jpg

Jawa Audio System.jpg

Hopefully I can update you all this weekend with it near completion! You can download many Jawa noises/sounds via this site:

And using the free audio editor "Audacity" (Which is pretty powerful), I'll be able to make some jawa sound files for playback. The idea is to create random sounds, followed by 20-30 seconds of silence then more audio not in the same sequence. Then have this on repeat.

"Audacity" can be found here:
1631647465832.png
1631647471275.png

-Iron

Last edited:
**Jawa Update**
I got my Jawa Robe and Hood back from my Alterations Lady yesterday and got everything fitted last night. I couldn't be any happier with her work! She did such an amazing job on it....
Fitting Pic 1.jpg

Fitting Pic 2.jpg

FItting Pic 3.jpg

Fitting Pic 4.jpg

Unfortunately the LED's (Eyes and ION Rifle) are NOT bright enough to show during the sunlight (and yes they are on). So, I've taken the Jawa to a little darker location where the electronics show up better (My garage).....
Fitting Pic 5.jpg

Fitting Pic 6.jpg

I love the way the lighting LED bounces off that clear gloss finish on the inside of the barrel!

I also had to tie wrap the middle finger to the palm of the wooden hand in order to hold the Ion Rifle, but as you can see from the pics it is NOT noticeable. In fact,you have to get lower than the Jawa to just barely see it or lift the Jawa's sleeve up to see it.
Tie Wrapped Hand Pic 1.jpg

Tie Wrapped Hand Pic 2.jpg

You may have noticed that I still have to dress up my wooden foot that peeks out from the robe, I'll be doing that this week and then adding in some final weathering, mists of black and some fraying on the ends of the sleeve. But I'm getting closer!

Thanks,
-Iron

Awesome job. You need to take it in to the alterations shop to show her once your finished.
Yes! Great Idea.
I'm sure she will really enjoy seeing it.

Yep, I actually have her mobile number and have been sending her pics via text. She got to meet the mannequin last time with the robe on and safety pinned everywhere to show here what I was after. She got a big kick outta it! But I have to get her to do one last thing with the hood (Attach some Velcro) so maybe I bring it down one last time - Hahaha!

-Iron

**UPDATE**
All,
I went back in to the Alterations Shop today for some final Jawa adjustments. I took my entire Jawa in. Kimberly (that's her name) loved it. I guess something about seeing something like that up close and personal. Pictures I guess don't really do it justice.
Iron's Alterations Lady.jpg

Jawa taking over Kimberlys Alterations.jpg

I'll be putting on the strips of burlap on the Jawa's boot today and start the weathering process.

-Iron

Last edited:
AlphaCloneFett
I appreciate those suggestions and am also leaning towards those suggestions too. I will say Lazerjock did warn me about using the full size gumball containers. And I didn't even open up the holes on the fabric to allow for the whole container to show through too. But you see, the damage was already done on that hockey mask. Luckily both items are easily obtained. On the other hand there seems to be a wide variation of Jawa eye size and on how far apart the eyes are, etc.

.....decisions, decisions.
1632170216987.png

Thanks,
-Iron

AlphaCloneFett
I appreciate those suggestions and am also leaning towards those suggestions too. I will say Lazerjock did warn me about using the full size gumball containers. And I didn't even open up the holes on the fabric to allow for the whole container to show through too. But you see, the damage was already done on that hockey mask. Luckily both items are easily obtained. On the other hand there seems to be a wide variation of Jawa eye size and on how far apart the eyes are, etc.

.....decisions, decisions.
View attachment 215501

Thanks,
-Iron

i hear ya, any way, it is just nit picking but i think it will get rid of that 'cartoony look' ... also is the robe gonna be weathered? it'll add to the realism i think

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back