I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something...

I think we all need to take a step back because Jango DID set a standard to be followed... break out those umbrellas guys! :D

As far as those who want to get their feelings hurt about this... my advice: grow a little thicker skin... we are ALL in a nerd hobby!

EP II Select 10.jpg

Hey.....Lets have a good old ESB vs ROTJ brawl again!!!! :lol: I miss those!!!! :) Oh...wait...No, I guess i don't miss those that much.

The other day, I was going up to a guard tower here in Iraq, and I looked down. I saw this rock sticking out of the ground. And I was like, whoa...so I set down my rifle, and started to dig around at the edges of it. And I did, and this rabbit popped OUT OF THE ROCK! I KID YOU NOT!!

So I chased the rabbit down, and then I was like, dang, my rifle is sitting back there, so I ran back and got it, and the rabbit was gone. So I got in my tower....and thought...a rock rabbit. How interesting....

Maybe the use of Mando'a is a subject that we need to discuss on this board. I have had absolutely no ambition to learn this language or any of its words, but as it seems this is becoming a bilingual forum.

I would like to see the use of Mando'a to be discouraged, even in the custom mando section, being that a great majority of the members here don't speak a word of it and have no idea what anyone is saying; let alone how to pronounce it. Often I see when someone starts a run of an item, another member asks about it using Mando'a as if it's common knowlege, the one starting the run has to ask what was said before a real answer could be given.

Custom Mando's have their own forum now, Mando Mercs, and Mando'a there seems to be used just as frequently as English. Mando'a has crept onto this board, as well as clonetroopers.net.

Many members here don't even have English as their first language, and with them trying to learn that as well as having Mando'a thrown into the mix, this will really confuse someone. We have members here from France, Spain, Germany, Japan, China, Italy, where have you, many different languages, and I don't think a fake language needs to be mixed in when many of us are here just to build a costume; not to be a real Mandalorian.

So my final thought is that you can speak your Mando'a if you want to, I just don't like to see it, I have no idea what it means and no one translates it. Being in the South West I have to deal with this issue every day not speaking a word of Spanish. For all who use Mando'a, I would recommend that you explain what you're trying to say in English too.

I completely agree with you...couldn't have said it better myself.

As a matter of fact, this thread would've deflected a few jabs from the very beginning if the explanation for the offense was clear to begin with.

I find that I tend to shy away from threads with Mando'a (?) splattered all over it. Nothing personal, but I also have no desire to learn it, and I' m sure it confuses those who are finding that getting a grasp on the English language hard enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that this dance is taken from a "real" living culture, existing more than just in the mind....

"Every time I see someone who's not an Islander doing the Haka or even the Da Werda...it just seems very lack-luster. Remember the Da Werda was based on the Maori Haka to honor their traditions. Can we at least be a little more respectful of their culture when we do it?"

But did anyone really know this? So we go back to the intention, I don't see it

As far as those who want to get their feelings hurt about this... my advice: grow a little thicker skin... we are ALL in a nerd hobby!

I pretty much expect to get ribbed by canon Fett costumers for being a custom, and wanting to get involved with Mandalorian culture. That's a given, and my skin is like bantha hide to that kind of teasing. But I agree, this kind of topic is something that should be over on Mercs.

What really bugged me was the fact that my work and my efforts were being insulted so blatantly. I accept Dellis Tantor's apology, but the fact remains that it was just a blanket insult to say there was no effort put into what I've done. I know most of you guys think the EU is a pile of bantha poodoo, but I take it seriously. I've been trying to put Dha Werda Verda together based on la couple of pages worth of writing in a couple of books, and a song from a video game. It's true, the times I've performed it before, it's slow paced, and pretty roughly choreographed. But I'm working on making it faster and more intense. Like anything, it takes progress. I can imagine the sculptors here know how many times they need to refine a clay sculpt before it looks anything like a canon Fett helmet.

And now for 27 posts joking around with maybe 1 relevant paragraph mixed in:

The other day, I was going up to a guard tower here in Iraq, and I looked down. I saw this rock sticking out of the ground. And I was like, whoa...so I set down my rifle, and started to dig around at the edges of it. And I did, and this rabbit popped OUT OF THE ROCK! I KID YOU NOT!!

So I chased the rabbit down, and then I was like, dang, my rifle is sitting back there, so I ran back and got it, and the rabbit was gone. So I got in my tower....and thought...a rock rabbit. How interesting....

Freaking boots leaving rifles laying around ;)

So whats this "Da Werda Verda" dance any ways? If no ones seen it in live action then how dose one know if they are doing it wrong:confused

I remember when recasting was the hot topic. Only been here 4 years and kind of miss those days. Dont get me wrong ive started pointless threads and made a few absurd comments myself.

I've been trying to put Dha Werda Verda together based on la couple of pages worth of writing in a couple of books, and a song from a video game.

Can someone tell me exactly how much screen time Boba had in the trilogy (not the special editions) and how many lines of dialog (not including the scream)?

Maybe we should get Karen Traviss to erase the dance from all subsequent printings of her RC books and she can retcon Fett's Vette into the books. Then we can all follow MC Chris around like a Star Wars version of the Greatful Dead, worship the ground he walks on, and troop or loiter with extreme prejudice at all his shows.

Can't we all go back to making fun of the Star Trek folks?

Can't we all go back to making fun of the Star Trek folks?
Awwww man. And I thought we could go somewhere with The Dancing Helmet thing. I know Gilmore knows the moves to Thriller. I was ready to begin studying Flashdance... Nuts...:angry

I see nothing wrong with the Dancing Mando's.
I really wonder why things like this always come up, this is supposed to be fun,
We need a "ask Mr. Mando" thread.

:D

Originally this was about showing respect when preforming the Haka, a real life ritual dance. It was also mention that when preforming the Werda Verda, a ficticous ritual done by mandos and clones, (an omage to the real dance from the Maori) a certain amount of intensity be used as in the Haka. I think his point was that if we're are goin to emulate a culture because we admire their qualities we should put our all into it as a sign of respect (not to mandos, to the Maori and all island cultures). Also there are some of us who want to learn the Werda or help to form it to a point where we can perform it at and during trooping events to add the fun of it all.

Here are a few link about the haka. The first is more traditional, the second is a rugby team performing the Haka to intimidate the other team. (Look at the face of the other team)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we should get Karen Traviss to erase the dance from all subsequent printings of her RC books and she can retcon Fett's Vette into the books. Then we can all follow MC Chris around like a Star Wars version of the Greatful Dead, worship the ground he walks on, and troop or loiter with extreme prejudice at all his shows.
I do that all ready, haha. Hey, he's worn my Fett to the playboy mansion, shouldn't he be worshiped anyway!?

i believe if most hardcore boba's are against using mando'a it might be a good idea to only use mando'a in the dented variant section. Personally i love the mando'a langauge as it allows me to escape this world for a fantasy one:eek:

i believe if most hardcore boba's are against using mando'a it might be a good idea to only use mando'a in the dented variant section. Personally i love the mando'a langauge as it allows me to escape this world for a fantasy one:eek:
That won't work, because Boba and Jango mix in with EU, and EU runs though Dented Variants. The best option for me would be the discontinuation of the language in the costuming forum. If there were a cultural forum, then it would be acceptable. Since this is a costuming forum, I don't see this happening.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back