I just wanted to stop by and give my opinion on something...

Okay, three things.
First. I understand the feelings that those of Maori origin may feel when they see a Haka performed badly, if you are going to do a tribal dance then it should be done with all due respect and enthusiasm due that culture (unless it's Morris Dancing in which case they should simply be shot!) HOWEVER, the Dhe Werda IS NOT a Haka! Okay, it's inspired by it but it isn't it. It's fictional! It's not even a fictional Maori dance but a fictional dance by a fictional culture in a fictional universe! So given that it's not real, what's the problem? There's no disrespect to any real culture there as it's nothing to do with any real culture. This has been blown up out of all proportion and is somewhat silly to say the least.

Secondly. I'm a big fan of Karen Traviss's works, I have read all her books, Star Wars and non Star Wars, I can speak Mando'a, I can read it AND write it BUT as has been pointed out this is a costuming forum for people wanting to create costumes and as such they will ask questions that need straight forward, easy to understand answers, you can't get that if only 10 percent of the people on the forum can understand what you've just written. We're not Mandalorians, we are costumers that dress as fictional creations called Mandalorians, we don't need to talk or write it and those of us that can (because we have decided to rival Star Trek's Klingons for nerdness) shouldn't inflict it upon those that can't or do not want to.
IF you choose to write something in Mando'a at least have the decency to write the English translation for those that don't read the afore mentioned fictional language.

Thirdly and this one is directed at Big Jon whom I've known for a few years through HV&M and here. You're over-reacting mate! There's no attack here on EU costumers by film costumers or a superior attitude and certainly no bullying. Most of the replies on this thread are simply regarding the confusion over what this topic is about and why it's such a big issue. This is a website and forum for the creation of costumes, everyone here is about making said costumes but not everyone here is into the EU or understands it when people are, and fewer still know what someone is saying in Mando'a, how to do the Dha Werda or could perform the Hildeberg Two-fling made famous by the Naked Zendosian Monks from the mountain regions of Gondos Prime (okay, I made that up, so no offence is intended to Ballroom Dancers upon whom I based that fictional dance ;) ). IF they don't know those things and don't understand what you're talking about and find the conversation a little silly that doesn't constitute an attack on those that do. Chill out a little, my friend.

I think accusing people of making fun of a culture's real dance is a but too serious. I think this is a way to validate being nerdy and has nothing to do with offending a a race or culture, I mean come on if you are serious about that culture then also respect it by not dancing in a clone uniform from a Science Fiction movie and wear the traditional garb they wear and not fanboy out in front of the author of a ficticious book. I think that is the ultimate form of disrepect if you are truly emulating and care about the real culture. This whole thing gives me such a Klingon vibe it's not funny.

Very well said!! This was pretty amusing to read though. It is quite amazing what happens to people and how they react! I should really look into what a sociologist has to say about us.
Now THAT would be an interesting read.

Um... is this about Mando'a or Maori? If it's about Mando'a then I say whatever people wanna do is cool because it's just a made up culture. If it's about Maori, then that's different. We get people dressing up and acting the part of SW characters doing crazy stuff all the time. Is the dance something in particular that stands out? Until I understand the direction this thread is supposed to be taking I think I'll bow out of adding more comments.

You absolutely nailed it. Couldn't have said it better. (y)(y)(y)

Okay, three things.
First. I understand the feelings that those of Maori origin may feel when they see a Haka performed badly, if you are going to do a tribal dance then it should be done with all due respect and enthusiasm due that culture (unless it's Morris Dancing in which case they should simply be shot!) HOWEVER, the Dhe Werda IS NOT a Haka! Okay, it's inspired by it but it isn't it. It's fictional! It's not even a fictional Maori dance but a fictional dance by a fictional culture in a fictional universe! So given that it's not real, what's the problem? There's no disrespect to any real culture there as it's nothing to do with any real culture. This has been blown up out of all proportion and is somewhat silly to say the least.

Secondly. I'm a big fan of Karen Traviss's works, I have read all her books, Star Wars and non Star Wars, I can speak Mando'a, I can read it AND write it BUT as has been pointed out this is a costuming forum for people wanting to create costumes and as such they will ask questions that need straight forward, easy to understand answers, you can't get that if only 10 percent of the people on the forum can understand what you've just written. We're not Mandalorians, we are costumers that dress as fictional creations called Mandalorians, we don't need to talk or write it and those of us that can (because we have decided to rival Star Trek's Klingons for nerdness) shouldn't inflict it upon those that can't or do not want to.
IF you choose to write something in Mando'a at least have the decency to write the English translation for those that don't read the afore mentioned fictional language.

Thirdly and this one is directed at Big Jon whom I've known for a few years through HV&M and here. You're over-reacting mate! There's no attack here on EU costumers by film costumers or a superior attitude and certainly no bullying. Most of the replies on this thread are simply regarding the confusion over what this topic is about and why it's such a big issue. This is a website and forum for the creation of costumes, everyone here is about making said costumes but not everyone here is into the EU or understands it when people are, and fewer still know what someone is saying in Mando'a, how to do the Dha Werda or could perform the Hildeberg Two-fling made famous by the Naked Zendosian Monks from the mountain regions of Gondos Prime (okay, I made that up, so no offence is intended to Ballroom Dancers upon whom I based that fictional dance ;) ). IF they don't know those things and don't understand what you're talking about and find the conversation a little silly that doesn't constitute an attack on those that do. Chill out a little, my friend.

I think accusing people of making fun of a culture's real dance is a but too serious. I think this is a way to validate being nerdy and has nothing to do with offending a a race or culture, I mean come on if you are serious about that culture then also respect it by not dancing in a clone uniform from a Science Fiction movie and wear the traditional garb they wear and not fanboy out in front of the author of a ficticious book. I think that is the ultimate form of disrepect if you are truly emulating and care about the real culture. This whole thing gives me such a Klingon vibe it's not funny.

Awesome.

Hey im Half Kiwi and about an 8th Maori, and can trace my Whakapapa (genealogy/ancestry) back to the Warrior Cheiftan Timaru, who was killed in a misunderstanding when Captain James Cook first landed on Aotearoa (New Zealand)

That being said, i find no offence to an Omage to Kapa Haka, as long as it isnt being physically copied down to exact movements to imitate it exactly/close to exactly, but if you do take aspects from it, make it subtle.

Referring to this dance as Inspired by the Maori Kapa Haki, to create a dance of passion and tradition for a culture similar in structure, whilst not emulating it is the best way to describe what you are doing.

I am not a huge fan of EU, but I appreciate what you are doing. As long as you make sure to keep respectful of the culture, and have fun doing what you love doing with your EU realisation, then kudos to you and keep up the good work.

For those that are too serious in your replies, remember that this is a hobby, and a few of us are 501st. being said a main reason for us is to enjoy like minded company, costume and have fun, and put smiles on kiddies faces. Tolerance and acceptance without excessive provocation and jest should be maintained.

I was bullied severly as a kid for being a star wars fan, and being short, and that included 6-7 years of physical beatings and mental/emotional bullying, so i see both sides of this debate VERY VERY CLEARLY....

Final note: Congrats for putting yourselves out there and trying something new which has never been done before, im sure that you will find that you have the same passion and enthusiasm as the founders of the 501st, and hopefully the same patience and discipline to see this through as an accomplishment to those of you very much into the EU :)

Just viewed the youtube clips, and from my work in choreography I must say that you have done well to start up so far :)

One major issue/suggestion is that you are moving/over extending too far, which is causing your being slightly off balance and looking awkward. Try smaller and more deliberate moves. You can still project what you want to visualise, but keep it in a small circle area around you that you can control.

Also, Jumping will really put you off balance and can really destroy what you are trying ot accomplish if you look bad or fall over if you mis-step/leap.

Summing it up, Less major over exerting movement, more tighter deliberate movement, and keep it all in a small area you can control. Plus try refrain from jumping and Id say you are set, and very much well on your way to creating a very good ritual :)

Btw stick around the boards, itll be worth it in the long run. Everyone has something to contribute here, and this can be your legacy on here, just remember to put the passion into the dance, but let the non constructive criticism skim off your armour like an energy bolt on beskar :D

Very well said Matt, and on another note, if ppl want to type in Mando'a, i say, type on, those who don't know it, won't answer and I am sure those who use it, know this.

It is fun and adds to the role playing aspect of this hobby

I feel violated... Years back, Got Maul and I where dancing the jitter bug (no SST pun intended) on a cold lonley night, after drinking 2 bottles of a terrible merlot. I thought we had burned those pictures and forgot them for ever...

this website is full of acronyms and it took me a while to work ROTJ and ESB
so i think this website already has it's own language and can hardly be called normal (no offence intended), and you could say that mando'a is part of this langauge. so maybe we should bring this discussion to an end :)

I really didn't mean to cause such a stir, really. I actually had other things on my mind. Mostly, I was upset because I saw videos of people doing an actual Haka dance, and it was revolting. Then I saw the Da Wherda and took that in stride with my initial rant. Again, i wasn't trying to insult anyone or make a fool out of myself...but I guess I failed. I just figured this was a general descussion and thought the topic might be interesting.

Again, sorry.

Dellis, you did nothing wrong man. IMHO, people skills should have won out in this thread and didn't. There's really no reason why this topic couldn't have been discussed here as this specific board is a general any topic board.

Like I said man, no fault of yours.

I think some people lost sight of the act we all costume here together and focused a bit too much on why their type of homage to Star Wars was more comfortable to them.

Exactly. (y)

To put it into a bit of perspective, what do the Boba and Jango costumers do? They ACT like Boba and Jango would when in public. What do the custom Mandalorian costumers do? They ACT like Mandalorians would in public.

Simple and to the point.

Now can we all be friends?

I feel violated... Years back, Got Maul and I where dancing the jitter bug (no SST pun intended) on a cold lonley night, after drinking 2 bottles of a terrible merlot. I thought we had burned those pictures and forgot them for ever...
You and Jose have clearly been defiled...both of you were blatantly taken advantage of for your trusting natures and lack of alcoholic inhibition. It saddens me to see Dana and Jose victims of this kind of adult exploitation.

(Yes, I just made that term up.)

Let’s just be thankful those C4 photos never surfaced.:lol:

I have those pics.... and I'm sorry I do....

Dana looks a little gassy in that pic, and Jose looks like he's waving the smell away..........

this website is full of acronyms and it took me a while to work ROTJ and ESB
so i think this website already has it's own language and can hardly be called normal (no offence intended), and you could say that mando'a is part of this langauge. so maybe we should bring this discussion to an end :)
ESB and ROTJ are acronyms for words in English, Mando'a is a made up language. Saying ESB instead of Empire Strikes Back is just easier to do, I have no idea how to begin to pronounce Mando'a, it just over complicates things.

I speak English and French, and the syntax between both of those languages are astronomical. I looked up Mando'a long ago and it shares its syntax extremely well with that of French, hard transition. Trying to say that Mando'a is a type of internet slang is absurd.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back