Fett Helmet History

One other thing before I turn in, you mentioning Jan Stevens made me think of it.

I've got an inkling the ear platforms may be have been added after the original sculpt and casting process. At least partially.

Hey everyone, I did some research and reached out to Max Cervantes after finding his name in the Bonzai 1986 helmet thread. Below is the information regarding the helmets he owns from 1981 or 1982 when he cast his first 2 helmets. Max provided me several photos that he took when we were messaging. The rest come from Art Andrews that he was sent some time ago from Max. Two of Max's 3 helmets are shown here.

Please review the helmets and info and let me know what you think!

Max DP Helmets (Recasts from 1981/82)

Helmet Names:

Max DP1 Helmet (2nd Gen Casting)
Max DP2 Helmet (2nd Gen Casting)
Max DP3 Helmet (3rd Gen Casting)

Helmet Source:
Max says that his helmets are casts of an ESB helmet that was screen used. The live action filming had already finished at that point in time his first two helmets were cast, but the movie was not yet released.

Helmet History:
Max says that a screen used helmet from Empire was loaned to Don Post Studios for them to examine to see if they wanted to add it to their Star Wars helmet line.

At the time, Don Post Studios decided to pass and not do it because Boba Fett had such little screen time. This all happened BEFORE the film was finished or released to the public. At that point in time, Don Post Studios had already made a mold of the helmet that they had been sent.

Max was in college at the time, studying industrial plastics. His teacher knew people at Don Post Studios because he had gone to school in Long Beach with a lot of the guys who were hired to work on building models for Star Wars.

Max’s teacher at Cerritos College had seen the mold at Don Post Studios and asked about it. Don Post Studios said that he could take it because they weren’t going to need it – so he did.

When Max saw it, he asked if he could have a casting from it. Max was a favorite student of his and he knew that Max was a big Star Wars fan. The teacher let Max cast from it.

On the Max DP1, the original helmet that he has, the ears were noted to have been cast separately.

The rangefinder on the Max DP1 helmet isn’t terribly accurate. Max didn’t get the rangefinder from the Don Post mold. The one that’s on his first helmet is one that a friend made for him out of aluminum and steel.

Max said that the helmet mold from Don Post Studios didn’t include the side detail (not sure what that means – possible he meant the ears?).

Max said that he chose to remake the borden because the mold he used from Don Post for that part was poor. He said that the mold from Don Post Studios had a borden, but that he didn’t want to just re-mold it and use it as was.

He says that no damage has occurred to the helmet over the years.

Helmet Castings:
Max initially made 2 castings for himself from the original mold that his teacher had obtained from Don Post Studios of the helmet that had been sent to Don Post Studios around 1981.

Max DP2 (2nd Generation)
The second helmet Max made is still in a primary state and is unpainted.

Max said that he took photos of his second, unpainted casting before he remolded it and sent the photos to Art Andrews years ago.

He says that his second, unused helmet is sitting in storage and is just primered gray.

Max later made a new mold from the second helmet (Max DP2) that he had cast from his teacher’s acquired mold that had been made at Don Post Studios. He says that he made a couple copies a long time ago and gave no further details about them.

Max DP3 (3rd Generation)
Max has a third helmet, which was cast from the Max DP2 mold and is the one he currently uses if he dons his armor.

The rangefinder on his 3rd helmet was from a casting off of an original that he got from an old friend who worked at ILM.

Additional:
Many years later after Empire Strikes Back, Don Post finally decided to make a Boba Fett helmet. He said that he didn’t know where they got their helmet for casting from. He said that Don Post Studios came to him for parts of the helmet and that he gave them castings off of an original rangefinder and side pieces (ears?) that he had eventually got from friends that worked up at ILM.

Attachments

• Max DP1 Cheek 2 AA.JPG
    Max DP1 Cheek 2 AA.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 407
  • Max DP1 Cheek AA.JPG
    Max DP1 Cheek AA.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Max DP1 Dent AA.JPG
    Max DP1 Dent AA.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 388
  • Max DP1 Side 2 AA.JPG
    Max DP1 Side 2 AA.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 394
  • Max DP1 Rear 2 AA.JPG
    Max DP1 Rear 2 AA.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Max DP1 Back.JPG
    Max DP1 Back.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 405
  • Max DP1 Front AA.JPG
    Max DP1 Front AA.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 407
  • Max DP1 Rear Side AA.JPG
    Max DP1 Rear Side AA.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 400
  • Max DP1 Side RF AA.JPG
    Max DP1 Side RF AA.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 375
  • Max DP1 Front Corner Borden AA.JPG
    Max DP1 Front Corner Borden AA.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 374
  • Max DP1 Top.jpg
    Max DP1 Top.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 378
  • Max DP1 Side.jpg
    Max DP1 Side.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 366
  • Max DP1 Side RF2 .jpg
    Max DP1 Side RF2 .jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 303
  • Max DP1 Dent.jpg
    Max DP1 Dent.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 375
  • Max DP1 Corner 3.jpg
    Max DP1 Corner 3.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 374
  • Max DP1 Front Low.png
    Max DP1 Front Low.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 367
  • Max DP1 Inside.jpg
    Max DP1 Inside.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 340
  • Max DP1 Front Corner.jpg
    Max DP1 Front Corner.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Max DP1 Corner Borden.jpg
    Max DP1 Corner Borden.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Max DP1 Front Corner 2.jpg
    Max DP1 Front Corner 2.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Max DP1 Rear.jpg
    Max DP1 Rear.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Max DP3 RF Light.jpg
    Max DP3 RF Light.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 373
  • Max DP3 Front.jpg
    Max DP3 Front.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 378
  • Max DP3 Side.jpg
    Max DP3 Side.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 373
  • Max DP3 RF.jpg
    Max DP3 RF.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 348
  • Max DP3 Side RF.jpg
    Max DP3 Side RF.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 363
  • Max DP3 Back.jpg
    Max DP3 Back.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
I think you are talking about Max Cervantes, the person who sold those upper gauntlet shells to Art (more info here ==> Cevantes Boba Fett Gauntlets). The presumption that the Pre-Pro #2 was intended to be the hero costume for ESB is false, as all the suits painted by Daydream Studios were intended to be used as promotional material. The fact that those suits doesn't match each other is the first sign; I call these the Sister suits - related, but far from identical. On the other hand, the Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3 and the ESB Hero are much closer to each other, this is why I call them the Twin suits - related and lots of identical features.
The correct lineage for the Fett suits would be this:
Supertrooper - Prototype - This is the base for the Pre-Pro #1 suit
Pre-Pro #1 v.1 - Eyes suit ==> Pre-Pro #1 v.2 - Ears suit (the gauntlets, the cape and the jetpack - minus the grappling hook/rocket were used on the Pre-Pro #3 suit too)
Pre-Pro #3 - this in fact should be called Pre-Pro #2 (Some soft and hard parts were used for the ESB Hero suit)
ESB Hero - Used for filming and partially as post ESB/pre ROTJ promo suit
Pre-Pro #2 (Kenner photo shoot) - this should be called ESB Promo #1
ESB Promo #1 - This should be called ESB Promo #2 (some parts were used/reused for the ROTJ Hero suit)
ESB Promo #2 (Palitoy/Channel Island photos) - This should be called ESB Promo #3
ROTJ Hero - ESB era repainted and redented armor, Promo #1 helmet and jetpack, Pre-Pro #1 braids.
ANH SE - Mostly ROTJ (hero and stunt) with Promo #2 jetpack and Promo #1 cod plate
ROTJ SE - Mostly ROTJ (hero and stunt) with ESB Hero helmet and Pre-Pro #2 right gauntlet and left knee.

Correct Timeline 2.jpg

I think you are talking about Max Cervantes, the person who sold those upper gauntlet shells to Art (more info here ==> Cevantes Boba Fett Gauntlets). The presumption that the Pre-Pro #2 was intended to be the hero costume for ESB is false, as all the suits painted by Daydream Studios were intended to be used as promotional material. The fact that those suits doesn't match each other is the first sign; I call these the Sister suits - related, but far from identical. On the other hand, the Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3 and the ESB Hero are much closer to each other, this is why I call them the Twin suits - related and lots of identical features.
The correct lineage for the Fett suits would be this:
Supertrooper - Prototype - This is the base for the Pre-Pro #1 suit
Pre-Pro #1 v.1 - Eyes suit ==> Pre-Pro #1 v.2 - Ears suit (the gauntlets, the cape and the jetpack - minus the grappling hook/rocket were used on the Pre-Pro #3 suit too)
Pre-Pro #3 - this in fact should be called Pre-Pro #2 (Some soft and hard parts were used for the ESB Hero suit)
ESB Hero - Used for filming and partially as post ESB/pre ROTJ promo suit
Pre-Pro #2 (Kenner photo shoot) - this should be called ESB Promo #1
ESB Promo #1 - This should be called ESB Promo #2 (some parts were used/reused for the ROTJ Hero suit)
ESB Promo #2 (Palitoy/Channel Island photos) - This should be called ESB Promo #3
ROTJ Hero - ESB era repainted and redented armor, Promo #1 helmet and jetpack, Pre-Pro #1 braids.
ANH SE - Mostly ROTJ (hero and stunt) with Promo #2 jetpack and Promo #1 cod plate
ROTJ SE - Mostly ROTJ (hero and stunt) with ESB Hero helmet and Pre-Pro #2 right gauntlet and left knee.

View attachment 188185

Yes, that's the same Max Cervantes :)

Also, I am trying to understand exactly what you would like changed to what regarding names. I tried to translate all the names that you gave for helmet/suit combos to just helmets, but it got confusing for me.

Looking at the photo collage below, can you tell me just the name you are proposing that we call each helmet moving forward, from left to right top row and then bottom row.

Thanks!!
-Steven

Row 1 Helmets: (NAME), (NAME), (NAME), (NAME)
Row 2 Helmets: (NAME), (NAME), (NAME), (NAME)

Helmets.jpg

These are by no means perfect comparison photos, but they were the best that I could find comparing the PP2, Max DP3 and ESB (SE).

The dent is clearly from the PP2, which matches the rest of the story we know so far about Don Post Studios and their use of the PP2.

Dent Comparisons MaxDP3.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.14.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.14.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.20.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.28.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.15.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.15.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.20.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.28.17 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.14.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.14.21 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 300
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.15.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.15.23 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 294
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.14.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.14.40 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 290
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.15.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.15.06 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 320
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.22.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.22.14 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 310
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.22.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.22.28 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 304
Last edited:
I have a couple of questions. First, which helmet out of the original 6 is missing, didn't one get stolen? And isn't there one in a private collect, the only one that is not in the LF archives? Do we know who has it, and if the one that was stolen is the one in the private collection, don't you think they would give it back since owning it is illegal?

I have a couple of questions. First, which helmet out of the original 6 is missing, didn't one get stolen? And isn't there one in a private collect, the only one that is not in the LF archives? Do we know who has it, and if the one that was stolen is the one in the private collection, don't you think they would give it back since owning it is illegal?
The "Eyes" helmet is missing. Without any trace as far as I know.
The helmet formerly known as PP2, now ESB Promo #1, was stolen and is the one currently in private hands. I dont know who has it. Neither do I know if it is known by others who has it.

Raf, are the numbers assigned to the Promo suits and Pre-Pro suits assigned based on their creation, date they were first publicly seen on tour, order we became aware of them or something else?

Hey there, as promised to boba87fett heres the documentation pictures for the Master Replicas Boba Fett helmet, derived from the PrePro#2, formerly known as the PrePro#3 helmet that they mistook for the ESB Hero helmet.

There is not a lot that is correct here, not even the paint, but nonetheless, I like the helmet very much. It just oozes quality.
(Would be interesting to one day do a side by side comparasion to a screen accurate one)

Regarding the pictures, Im posting them here publically (instead of sending them directly) to function as a resource, should it be needed.
Came out a little darker then I would have wanted but I had to work with the natural light I had where I was able to set up a proper backdrop. And I did not want to disturb the colors in any way, so heres the results:

DSC_7745.JPG
DSC_7749.JPG

DSC_7748.JPG
DSC_7737.JPG

DSC_7732.jpg
DSC_7733.JPG

DSC_7779.JPG

I trust they will be put to good use. What Ive seen of the photobook already makes me want to put it on my desk :)

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back