Zam Rifle

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
I just got my rifle today - and was snooping around the forum to see if anyone else had done the mods to it!

Kimncris - THANK YOU so much for the "tutorials" on how you did the rifle modifications! This is such a big help!

And if anyone else has any tips or hints on the rifle - please post them! It looks like a big project and I'll need to keep my sanity through this part so I can finish with the rest of the costume! :D ;) Wonder if they let you wear costumes in the asylum? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am still slowly and carefully working on my rifle. I am takeing my time on it as it is important that is lookvery good and accurate.

thanks MausMaus, if you want your gun to be more accurate, do not use the clear resin like I did.

One of these days I'll have a stab at machining that lower scope thing too and finish up Kim's! Unfortunately my web design skills are lacking- so that tutorial website I wanted to build may have to wait for the time being :(

-cris

If anyone needs the Kentucky Flintlock base let me know, I have an extra I am not going to do anything with. It is still in the box. Just PM me.

kimncris wrote:

thanks MausMaus, if you want your gun to be more accurate, do not use the clear resin like I did.

I know it isn't "canon" and I'm not going to do it with my rifle... but I still think it looks pretty cool! I liked the idea of it.

BTW - I saw that you've got that large, life-size image of the rifle that you printed out - for reference work. Where did you get that pic from as I've not seen it anywhere (or am I just blind? ;) )

I made it myself :) I scaled up the visual dictionary photo to match one of the pieces of hardware on the denix rifle. I think they must have used a real gun, because it was not an exact match, but it was really close.

It's really big, over 3 megs! so I can't even email it to you. I might be able to upload it somewhere. Let me try that.

-cris

edit: well as you can see ALL of my photos are now broken. The server must be down. I'll try again later :(

-cris

Gee, since I'm not gender-equipped for Zam, I never really looked here. Too bad and I'm sorry :( . Perhaps I could be of future assistance on this topic. I have been shooting black-powder muzzleloaders for years. I build them, not from kits, but mostly from scratch. I am also a certified shooting instructor in all three disciplines of muzzleloader. All this added to the fact that I am heavily into pre-1840 history which is the era of these firearms. Please feel free to PM me with any questions, or I will even check here from time to time. ...here's a bit of advice; if the finish on your lockplate (the flat metal side plate with the large cock on it) is a darkish-blackish color, it may be "blued". In this case, you can try removing it with Naval Jelly or LimeAway. ...I apologize for not even knowing exactly what Zam's piece looks like aside from what I saw in the movie. If anyone has a nice close-up, I may be able to tell the exact piece/pieces used in it's construction. Maybe :lol: .

Zam I Am wrote:

I LOVED his lazer pointer, that's what us zammers should put into the scope mount of any future rifles :D

From the Farpoint Thread: http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8389&forum=10

That brings up a good question (for me at least) The scope on the rifle... Has anyone figured out if its a "found" item or custom?

Kmncris did a fantastic tutorial and write up on the Zam rifle: http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1157&forum=10. They custom made the scope, but I don't have the talent or $$$ to do that myself.

Suggestions on how to make this from easily found parts? How would a lazer pointer be attached... *yep... I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff...*

I am working on or was working on Zam's rifle, but it has been put aside for other things for now. I will eventually get around to working on it once again. I know the stock is based on a black powder rifle that is close to the kentuckey rifles, but I believe it is not that specific stock. I have a stock that was a unfinished custom stock for a black podwer rifle and when I am done I may make a mold of the stock for selling kits for it. But again it is all a ways off unfortantly as I got so much more Zam stuff to do plus I have an Anime project that is going to eat up close to a year of work.

I've got the base already and have been working on it... sanding it down, painting it, etc.

I'm just not sure how I'm going to make the scope.

Another question: Are there two scopes? One on top one on the side?

One Scope on the top. the thing on the side is called a Power something or another. One the Zam 12 inch doll is liekly the best reference as to what it looks like.

Hello I'm currently working on a Zam Rifle and need very good pics/details and measurements for the scope. I am going to machine the scope and just want to get it as close to the prop as possible.

Start here:

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8842&forum=10

I think the links that kimncris posted regarding the "life-size" Zam Rifle image are still valid... if not I still have the image and can email it to you. :)

Erm.. btw... you wouldn't be interested in making more than one of those scopes...would you? :D That's the real killer for me on the rifle - finding the scope and associated parts!

Now that I have the corrrect thread (sorry about the redundent post) I'm currently getting ready to mill a Zam scope but want to get it as accurate as possible. A friend of mine e-mailed me these dementions for the scope. Do they seem correct? Should I make it a solid piece? If so the mounting brackets would give me trouble.

1252025zamscopemeasured.jpg

Any Ideas? I'm not a Zam Costume person, but really like the weapons she uses.

I would make it so one of the two ends can be threaded on and off. Also the 12" length is pretty close to what is needed to fit right to most rifles that will be made on black powder rifle stocks.

Thanks.. I could make it out of a solid piece of pipe stock, but making the ends and threading them would be better and less time consuming.

That's my scope,and I don't remeber making that measured pic- but that doesn't mean I didn't :) The measurements seem about right though.

Anyway, if you want the best way to get the measurements, I would suggest scaling a photo of the real prop up to the same size as the denix rifle. That is what I did.

I also threaded the end pieces onto a ready made tube stock. I remember that it was smaller than 5/8 so 1/2" sounds about right. I had a real hard time getting them to screw onto the tube absolutely straight, but once the gun was all put together, it was hard to tell.

-cris

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back