RichardJones's ROTJ Animefan Paint/Build

I had a few hours to work today and got a few things done. I installed the MM dental files and mounted the visor. I used a heat gun to form the visor a bit better to the helmet, but I still may tweak the fit a bit more. I used Milliput to secure a MQ-2 circuit board and a square piece of welder's visor. ...
Next up will be getting the rangefinder painted, wired up to a microswitch and a battery pack inside the helmet....
IMG_0822.jpgIMG_0823.jpgIMG_0828.jpgIMG_0831.jpgIMG_0832.jpgIMG_0834.jpgIMG_0840.jpgIMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

So I have a few small updates.
I ended up purchasing a JC27 light kit with a microswitch and external battery. This kit is great and I highly recommend!
So the first thing that I wanted to do was make the stock Rangefinder kit a bit more accurate. The preplex block as it comes does not sit deep enough into the RF housing. I solved this by cutting the track within the RF housing about a quarter inch deeper. I then painted the whole inside a flat white.
The Preplex block itself needed modification as well. The angled area of the block did not line up with gallery reference photos, so with a dremel cutoff wheel and lots of patience, I was able to get an angle i think somewhat matches gallery reference.
For this kit I also purchased a MojoFett hollow aluminum stalk. The stalk comes with two pre-threaded holes to attach the RF housing too. When I looked at reference photos, I noticed that the machined screws attaching the RF housing went all the way though the stalk and were cut-off and ground smooth. I wanted to replicate this feature, so with a drill and tap bit I was able to use the existing screw holes and just punch them all the way though. i used brass #8-32 machine screws and cut them off flush. (I do still have to grind them smooth). Once I had the screw posts cut, I put a bit of superglue along the threads to keep everything in place.
After I popped the JC27 light kit into the housing I cut a piece of yellowish/off-white paper to cover the light kit. The kit is a green circuit board which you can see a mile away through the clear preplex block. I have three Grain of Wheat light bulbs on the way and once they arrive I will use bright green tape to replicate the three green tubes under the preplex block present in the reference photos.
20160906_195804_1473626551130.jpg20160910_191946_1473550738274.jpg20160910_192108.jpg20160910_192350_1473550738170.jpg20160910_192625_1473550737873.jpgRF Compare.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I made alittle progress on the interior. Still a few things to do and add in. The liner still needs to be glued in, the left chin strap installed and a few odd ends.
20160920_201151.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back