RichardJones's ROTJ Animefan Paint/Build

Man that looks great!

Looking excellent so far!

Thanks guys! This is my first paint up with an airbrush, and I have to say I am never going back to rattlecans! This time around I'm taking my time studying the gallery reference photos. Is it bad that when I close my eyes I can still see the dome, :lol:
I have a few areas to topically fix ( silver around the Killstripes are just a bit off and the turn signals need to be be painted in. ) and then it's on the the lowe/upper cheeks...

Silver on cheeks masked and humbrol 67 has been misted...
20160726_182619.jpg

I'm getting closer. Tonight I'm going to mask the dark gray on the mandibles and spray some caboose! Then I plan to detail everything out. Some of the silver areas are too thick, so I plan to use some dome green topically to make those areas more appealing/accurate.
20160731_010050.jpg20160803_204213.jpg20160730_125309.jpg

Floquil caboose Red has been added, masking peeled, and now ready for some weathering before sealing with a nice Humbrol satin cote. The red looks really bright here, but it is actually a shade darker and i'm hoping weathering will tone it down even further. Side note, the caboose finished beautifully, but I had to disassemble/clean my airbrush three times during the first and second cote. This is some nasty and difficult paint!
20160804_214752.jpg20160804_214742.jpg20160804_214827.jpg

Nice work! If you don't mind me asking, what brand of airbrush are you using and are you using a compressor or can?

Nice work! If you don't mind me asking, what brand of airbrush are you using and are you using a compressor or can?
Thank you TK675.
I'm using an Iwata airbrush, a lower end model but overall it has impressed me with every paint, except the Floquil caboose (which I think may be due its' fast trying time. )
I use a compressor, it's a small tank less setup that I try not to run for too long each session but so far I've been impressed with it. Iwata airbrush/compressor combo, it was a package deal off Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. Been eyeing Iwata and Badger. I'm just a bit worried about running out of paint in those small cups or bottles.

Yeah they do run out really fast. What i have been doing is mixing enough paint in some clear plastic containers. Be careful though, these containers do NOT like enamel paints, which almost make the containers look like they have been "sandblasted". I am going to find another brand of containers for my ESB paint-up, but you get the idea.

Hmm, I thought that red looked a bit bright, then I re-read and saw you had Caboose RED. This is actually a different colour to Caboose....

View attachment 102018

Well the bright red color makes sense now. I have used some brown pastels to tone the color down a bit. Even my wife said, " is it going to be THAT red?" :lol:facepalm
If i cannot get the color to an acceptable shade, I will re-mask and re-paint with the proper color!
Thanks Jayvee for catching this!

Well the bright red color makes sense now. I have used some brown pastels to tone the color down a bit. Even my wife said, " is it going to be THAT red?" :lol:facepalm
If i cannot get the color where to an acceptable shade, I will re-mask and re-paint with the proper color!
Thanks Jayvee for catching this!

Most welcome mate, it's pretty easy to get the two confused...(y)

Humbrol 100 might do the trick if you can't find caboose. It was mentioned in an old thread IIRC.
Thanks Andy, I found the correct bottle of caboose on ebay. It does look alot darker/brown in person, but I do still plan to re paint. In the meantime, I will be working on the ears and possibly re painting the upper cheek area..

I used Jayvee's paint list for the whole helmet. The upper cheeks are Tamiya XF17,misted with MM Schwartzgrun RLM 70. Both acrylic. I think I misted too much Schwartzgrun, which lightens the overall color. It should be an easy fix.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back