One last wafer thin ESB paint job...

I plan on using this tutorial and am in the process of purchasing my supplies. I would like to purchase all the paints needed at one time.

Q - Which paints will I need multiple bottles of? And suggestion of amount to finish the job. (I don't want to run out of something half way through and have to wait on a purchase/shipping etc.)

Thanks

Just noticed your post above, sorry. You can get away with using two tins for the main colours... Just updated the first post with some slight colour tweaks...

I know it's been said before, but this thread is freakin' awesome...I'm in Australia and it's saved me so much time and effort, that saying thanks just seems such an understatement... but here goes anyway.

THANKS GUYS!!!!

TF , you said you used red 73 on the visor mandible area, i dont know if there is an other humbrol colour range , but the 73 i ve got is almost purple , ? has any one else had this isue ,
any way this is a great threed

WOW this is a great thread. Thanks to everyone for all the great info it is very helpful. I doubt my vote counts but I vote for sticky as well.

TF , you said you used red 73 on the visor mandible area, i dont know if there is an other humbrol colour range , but the 73 i ve got is almost purple , ? has any one else had this isue ,

Theres deffinately purple under the maroon jinto

Done, thats what made me ask in the first place ,Doesnt really mater , though im getting tips im not using the same colour list or order that TF did ( though im starting to think i should have) :)

Hi Jinto, 73 is the colour I use for the red on the mandibles. When you do your colour swatches, make sure they are over the underlying colours, this will ultimately effect the result. Also application and thickness can have an effect. The final buff with 0000 wire wool gives this colour the correct hue in my opinion...
G.

Maybe he has a different mix in Australia? But deffinately everything u also said is true about the other colors effecting the hue your eye see's. But I think Jinto knows to layer it...BTW TF, Im finally getting finished on my first quality ESB paint up. It all started when I saw this thread almsot two years ago when I was a lurker. Thanks again for this awesome thread.

Done, thats what made me ask in the first place ,Doesnt really mater , though im getting tips im not using the same colour list or order that TF did ( though im starting to think i should have) :)
I bought every colour that humbrol do that remotely resembles the ESB colour scheme, although it's only how I see it, the colour list should give you the best starting point for using humbrols, when you do your test strips you just need to tweak the colours as you see fit...

Fair play though TF, this is a great thread. It like my Bible for the ESB paintjob :D

I also found that mine was a little dark, yet different light can also affect the colour IMO. But rubbing it down with 0000 wire wool like G said also affects the final colour.

Thanx TF , I did the same thing, i bought every green red purlpe bayesh gray and black ,
I ve basicly just gone by eye , but its good to have a refrence ,
With the 73 it is positively no 2 ways about it not red the colour is called wine
i think F4R(thanx for the offer ill take u up on that once i put this down thE shapers) is right they may be dIfrent from aus to the UK
the reds that are red ,not blue red , purple red ,brick red brown red, are called 60, 132, 174 these were the only real reds do any of those numbers look right to you TF

I would be interested to see how your 73 came out, any images of your test strips you can post? The other reds won't work, red 60 for example is a bright red, good for the L/H ear and as an extra layer on the mandibles before the red 73 to pick up the bright red areas...;)

DSC04455.JPGDSC04451.JPGDSC04449.JPG
this is how my red 73 comes out as you can see it is far from yours?

Hmmm, its difficult to tell from that colour test. I always apply my test strips in the manner i intend to use the paint ie airbrushing in this case. If you airbrushed the colour in 2 -3 good layers, once dried tickle it with 0000 wire wool and then add your desired clear coat I think you'll be surprised how differently that colour turns out...(y)

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back