Official Shin Tool Thread

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
The survival knife is a Paterson stir stick used for Photographic developing. I think they can still be purchased, the "knife" that people see is an attempt by Don Post to create "tools" for their statue. The info can be found here :Dhttp://www.partsofsw.com/fettrotj.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
but, it doesnt look like the stir stick. i saw it on another post and its longer than that.

you CUT DOWN the stir stick..........lol.
lay it on top of your shin pouch,and cut to fit.........simple as that....

yea, im not that stupid, i mean the part though doesnt have teh blade, its just a handle . wouldnt you rather have one with a blade?

thunderbolt885 wrote:

yea, im not that stupid, i mean the part though doesnt have teh blade, its just a handle . wouldnt you rather have one with a blade?

No.... Personally I wanted movie accurate, just cut it to lenght.

Most fan made ones made today don't look like the Patterson Squeege stirrer, except for MB's.

Lynn

and me ;) Braks and me had a project a couple years ago making "Survival knives" to Patterson squeegee specs exactly only with the blade.Still one of my favorite peices.I don't have the heart to use the stir stick in my costume since the knife is dead on with it and kicks arse.Some pop up for sale once in a while.You could request a WTB in the Cargo hold and someone might have one laying around.

I got a Stir stick and cut the sucker down. Then I just scaled the rest using the visual dictionary. The rest of the blade was made sculpy, then attached to the stirer. Then I made a mold of the whole thing.

Flan

I made a knife of my own, the top looks like the stir stick, but the bottom is different then the DP statue, or visual dictionary models
survivalknife.jpg

Fettcicle - nice knife! I like it. Looks mean!

Here's mine. I made it from 1/8" aluminum, and JB Weld :D Weathering is cheapo, flat black paint from Walmart, buffed off with steel wool.

23.jpg

Heres mine made from the stir stick and sculpy then cast from a mold I made from it. I based it off the Visual Dictionary.

knife.jpg

Here is the diagram with full specs fromt he project DL44 Blaster and I did a couple years back. This is based off a combination of the real Paterson stir rod and the DP Statue's knife.

Survival-Knife-Diagram.jpg

Survival-Knife-Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just now starting to work on my squeegee and I've gotting all the cutting and glueing done and I'm getting ready to start painting...just noticed though; is it me, or is the black stripe a little bit raised like it's not painted on, almost like it's black electrical tape just like what's holding the rods on the anti-security blades. Any opinions as to if i'm right or not?

edit...just read through all of the BB's tutorial and duh...he lists it as duct tape...don't mind me :wacko

I think that the concensus is that it was electrical tape. Thats what I use on mine and it looks spot on.

Flan

hey, if anyone needs a knife i have 5 left PM me for details

Scott

Other than exacto knife handles, and custom machined parts, are there any other alternatives for the anti-security blade? I've got it pretty much done except for taping the rods and I haven't been able to find exacto handles that I like well enough.

9_shin_tool.jpg

I agree, to me it looks like this is the same electrical tape used on the Anti-Security Blade. It's definitely not paint. It looks as though they even cut it after it was laid on.
-Wes

I made my knife our out of phemo...(I thought that might be a good idea as some convention people are a bit funny about weapons ).

It's not exactly acurrate, I made it more practicle looking :)
When I work out how to get a picture up I'll do so...

does anyone have good pics of what the shintools should be colored? i couldnt find any good pics beleive it or not

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back