Illusive Paint Blend?

Kengineer

New Hunter
I have purchased an original Illusive HIC (#66). It's not in great shape. The paint was a metallic aluminum over a black base. It's been scratched and gouged in a few places, scraping through the metallic top coat and exposing black base. The result looks like someone has taken a black sharpie to him in a few places including some fingertips.

I am trying to touch him up before I put him on display but can't find a paint blend that works well. I've been blending and brushing so far, but I'll have an airbrush soon in case that helps. I'm working mostly with Tester's model paints, trying various blends of Silver, Dark Gray, Flat Steel, and Matte Clear.

The Illusive top coat looks "Metallic" but is matte, not gloss. Blending Steel and Gray gives a close tone but no metallic look at all. Adding Silver it looks good when applied but as it dries the silver floats to the top and it becomes very bright. I'm starting to think no brushed finish will work and I will have to take my closest match and airbrush the marks. I run the first airbrush experiment Monday.

Any pointers on how to best match this paint and apply it to touch up Han would be great.

Has anybody found a rattle can equivalent that is 90% close enough match to the paint color that Illusive chose to use? I need to paint my updated side panels in a color that won't clash...

This is the closest I could find with reasonable effort - Dupli-Color General Motors Pewter Metallic BGM0490.

It may or may not be close enough for touchups of the main body of the Illusive prop replica, but it was close enough that painting the new panels with it did not cause them to clash.

Attachments

• 1215201603_HDR.jpg
    1215201603_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 257
So here is my idea that I think is gonna look pretty close depending on the look you want. I went with Kylon Metallic aluminum. I've tested several metallics and they all have like a metallic flake look like a car. Not what I want..I want a metal/pewter look. This paint gives you a finer metallic look. The paint is much too metallic to be used as the top color but it's a good base. I've messed around with it and i THINK it's gonna look great with a top coat of graphite powder. Then my plan is too seal it with a clear coat then do my weathering. I tested an area on the head with some gray acrylics I found at Walmart with the right mix and found it to be close to the color I'm seeking from prop pics I've seen that I want it to look like. I've seen where some say use black but it's too dark for me. I've taken 4 years to do this on and off and it's painstaking because I want it to look as real as possible. I've Spent a lot of cash and this will be a centerpiece in my house so I want it to look like a solid piece of Carbonite. The detail to get it to look real is gonna be very painstaking but I'm prepared to bring it home. I hope to have it be envied.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back