Elstree Precision Co Ltd Hero Metal Ears Project

I don't think the ESB Hero has been measured with super accurate digital calipers. If it has, I don't have those measurements. As long as you converted the inches to mm correctly, then that should be accurate.

New helmet has landed in the UK and is out for delivery. This helmet was cast in TC 1630 with fiberglass in June of 2020 and has the following measurements:

Length: 10 4/16" (-2/16" or -3mm from the ESB Hero)

Width: 9 3/4" (-1/16" or -1.5mm from the ESB Hero)

This helmet has significantly less shrinkage than the first helmet that was sent to Elstree, which was cast in gelcoat resin with fiberglass.

Is this measured from the outside or the inside?

Is it possible to create a pic where these measurements should be taken? Is length from back to front of visor when the cast is sitting flat? What is the measurement for height? Is width the farthest most points of the casting at the ears? Assume ears are excluded?
Who took measurements of the original & when? Are they very reliable?
Thanks in advance

Is it possible to create a pic where these measurements should be taken? Is length from back to front of visor when the cast is sitting flat?

Usually from back to front means from the outside of the rear keyhole to the outside of the T-visor's bottom line (from point 3 to 4). My measurement is 265 mm.
Side View.jpg

What is the measurement for height?

The height is a bit harder to measure, but you'll have to use a flat object (like a ruler) to position it flat under the ears then measure from the center- inside of the dome to the ruler (from point 1 to 2). My measurement here is around 260 mm.

Is width the farthest most points of the casting at the ears? Assume ears are excluded?

Usually without the ears and is measured from the lower corner of each cheek (along line 6). I got here 247 mm.
Boba-Fett-Supertrooper-Helmet-02.jpg

Thanks in advance

The originals were measured several time (PP3 by Master Replicas, ESB by eFX and Anovos), but these measurements are not publicly known (no, I don't know them... yet).

Is it possible to create a pic where these measurements should be taken? Is length from back to front of visor when the cast is sitting flat? What is the measurement for height? Is width the farthest most points of the casting at the ears? Assume ears are excluded?
Thanks in advance

Ears are excluded. The length and width that have been provided to me are the length and width of the ESB Hero. As with just about everything related to the ESB Hero these days - it reportedly goes back to the EFX molding in 2012. The G1, G2 and lossless G3's out in the wild reflect these measurements. This is generally how helmets are measured for length and width. Below is a photo of a raw G4 Hero, which suffers some slight shrinkage in length.

IMG_5317.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

boba87, any update on ears? Did he got the low shrink helmet to work with? When do you think the production is going to start? Ia he going to modify something from the proto ears?

John is on a vacation this week, but he did received the less shrinkage G4 last week and got to work. The left ear is good to go. The right ear needs to be lengthened slightly. He should have everything he needs to move forward next week.

Just a reminder, this process is going to take time. Even once production starts, Id imagine he will only be able to crank out a couple or more per month because they’re made by John and mostly by hand.

Anyone wanting metal ears ASAP should order MCR ears or see what RS Props will have to offer soon.

John is on a vacation this week, but he did received the less shrinkage G4 last week and got to work. The left ear is good to go. The right ear needs to be lengthened slightly. He should have everything he needs to move forward next week.

Just a reminder, this process is going to take time. Even once production starts, Id imagine he will only be able to crank out a couple or more per month because they’re made by John and mostly by hand.

Anyone wanting metal ears ASAP should order MCR ears or see what RS Props will have to offer soon.
Ill wait. I dont even have a helmet yet. I just want these because of what they are and because of the wonderful effort put into them.

Here are some updates from John a couple weeks ago.

The rangefinder stalks were all drilled in one go and from only one end (top down). Pretty impressive.

2020-07-31 at 06.59.23.jpeg

And another update from last week. John has been working on re-drawing the final "original drawings" on the proper draftsman's paper while on vacation.

2020-08-05.jpeg

2020-08-05b.jpeg

Here are some updates from John a couple weeks ago.

The rangefinder stalks were all drilled in one go and from only one end (top down). Pretty impressive.

View attachment 196099

And another update from last week. John has been working on re-drawing the final "original drawings" on the proper draftsman's paper while on vacation.

View attachment 196100

View attachment 196101
Thanks for the update! Stuff like that just takes time (the drawing and the ear-making), especially since it is his free time. Seeing a tiniy bit of progress is much appretiated nonetheless! THis project is just amazing!

Also, whereever John spent his vacation is just beautiful!

Received the Dentless Supertrooper helmet for John today. Did a preliminary trimming and wet sanded it. Hoping to get more done tomorrow. Will be sending it to him painted white with a gloss clear coat. He will be installing the visor, borden, rangefinder assembly, ears and MQ-1.

DSC_0176-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0177-2.jpg
    DSC_0177-2.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_0178-3.jpg
    DSC_0178-3.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_0179-4.jpg
    DSC_0179-4.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0180-5.jpg
    DSC_0180-5.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0181-6.jpg
    DSC_0181-6.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0182-7.jpg
    DSC_0182-7.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 142
Well my part of the Elstree Precision Co Ltd Dentless Supertrooper helmet build is complete. Time to ship it to John and let him get their metal ears and the other components fitted.

I learned several lessons prepping this lid. Proved more challenging than I thought it would. Not perfect, but I’m happy with it. The helmet itself is fantastic and well built.

Borden and visor are temporarily taped in. John will he installing them similar to how the originals were installed.

62394AC1-2922-4C75-89D7-FE386BA12676.jpeg
80E3F640-D988-461E-97F6-39B60B6549E1.jpeg
37FFBDF6-4B06-4D89-B571-CFE6C46662D8.jpeg
0F78AA69-CEA2-4FF6-A7AB-1046F43EE308.jpeg
CF0DF0EC-9F19-4E5A-BFF9-96E529F42B40.jpeg
8FFFC9C2-1BA7-43B2-9296-6573CF4F37DC.jpeg
20A755B1-D509-43AE-A83D-9DB1546DF2CC.jpeg
4DA41453-3E47-4858-A0FF-083942BA0B27.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back