1313 Helmet Build

Indy Magnoli

New Hunter
I just picked up this gorgeous Fett Pride helmet (thanks again @Darth_Nickel ) and as I already have a few standard BF helmets, I thought of making a fully distressed 1313 helmet.

0539tzwh-jpg.jpg

First thing to do is fill in the dent:

9oenonih-jpg.jpg

For the beskar look, I'm using the chrome nail polish powder method (see more on this method here: Mando Armorer Helmet refinished using Nail Polish Powder!)
I used a black gloss spray paint for the underlayer, then added the chrome powder, starting on the top dome:

hb4hvibh-jpg.jpg

The top edge made for a natural transition for painting, so I masked off the top with newspaper, spray painted and added the next layer of chrome powder:

4bqwcmul-jpg.jpg

kwzf9cgl-jpg.jpg

ob4qgdbl-jpg.jpg

All finished and ready for painting:

m0zbaeuh-jpg.jpg

Stay tuned...
Kind regards,
Magnoli

Starting the painting... practicing on the ear piece.
Here it is after the chrome powder:

ekxwc0ol-jpg.jpg

Next, I dabbed on some petroleum jelly on the spots I wanted to keep silver:

f1s9k04l-jpg.jpg

Spray painted some dark royal blue:

d73tlkxl-jpg.jpg

After the paint had completely dried, I wiped off the petroleum jelly with a soft cloth and voila!

brd5u0ql-jpg.jpg

I can't wait to get started on the helmet itself!

Starting the fun stuff... masking off for the light blue parts:

3y7oewzl-jpg.jpg

Adding the petroleum jelly (I did most with my fingers, but used a Q-tip to add some thinner "scratch" effects):

ifsdigdl-jpg.jpg

Lots of spraying:

gdvdggyl-jpg.jpg

Removed the masking:

i1avv0kl-jpg.jpg

Rubbed off the jelly, first with a cloth, then a toothbrush... and finally with my fingernail for extra scratchiness as the blue paint did a pretty good job of covering the jelly in some spots:

motlfkvl-jpg.jpg

Close-up of the realistic chipped paint effect (SO much better than painting silver on top of a color):

jcos5lyl-jpg.jpg

Soon... the dark blue parts! :)

Some more work... first on to the ears. Masked off and jellied:

OnUC0vel.jpg

Sprayed with a darker blue and jelly removed:

A10MfL2l.jpg

Masking the mandibles:

fEuevisl.jpg

Jellied and spray painted:

n4rdFLAl.jpg

Masking removed. This is when I generally use a heat gun to speed up the drying of the paint. It's a little tricky as too much heat can actually cause the jelly to liquify and start running (which isn't terrible, but it can sometimes cause the paint to run) or worse... the paint can harden over the jelly and actually become difficult to remove.

BMdGetZl.jpg

wfP0n2El.jpg

Coming along!

uGlfjZh.jpg

Added some automotive pinstriping and put all the parts back onto the helmet:

n93NjFCl.jpg

Next step is the grungy distressing! :)

I'm also debating adding a few kill stripes, but not sure how that would look on top of the pinstriping.

Ok... looking for some feedback/ideas about adding the kill stripes. Should I try painting them over the pinstripes? Or should I place them higher on the helmet above the pinstripes? Should I just not add the kill stripes? The 1313 artwork does not have them, but I thought this might tie in better

Here are a few ideas:

54XDWmT.jpg

They all look better than I thought they would... and they'll tie in even better once I add the grungy distressing. So.. what do you guys think?

After a bit of deliberation... I've decided to go with classic stripe placement!

I decided on six kill stripes. Here it is masked up:

mDsuTydl.jpg

I used petroleum jelly again for the paint chipping effect, making sure to get on the edges of the piping... then spray paint on top:

nkIVesnl.jpg

The final result:

THplDu6l.jpg

I started the distressing process by applying dark brown (raw umber) acrylic with a brush to all the recessed edges:

HVRaEWGl.jpg

M9ozkjrl.jpg

JKggVjBl.jpg

Ap8XDidl.jpg

I also started building up layers of acrylic black along the bottom edges of the "metal" with a sponge as well as on some of the blue parts. I kept working shades of brown and black along the dome with sponge and brush, then wiping with a soft cloth to get different effects. Lastly, I added some lighter tan spots throughout the surface with a stiff brush, stippling for a more dirty look.

Here's the final beauty shot:

7Uu5P0Eh.jpg

You can see the full resolution photo at imgur to see all the detail. This has quickly become one of my favorite helmets in my collection! Thanks to everyone for your input and encouragement.

Damn Indy that looks amazing. Someone correct me if i'm wrong though, but wasn't the 1313 helmet based on Jango's molds?

Also any plans on a 1313 flightsuit in the future? One of the only reasons I've never tried to plan a 1313 build is because there aren't any flightsuits and I have absolutely zero ability to create patterns lmao

Damn Indy that looks amazing. Someone correct me if i'm wrong though, but wasn't the 1313 helmet based on Jango's molds?

Also any plans on a 1313 flightsuit in the future? One of the only reasons I've never tried to plan a 1313 build is because there aren't any flightsuits and I have absolutely zero ability to create patterns lmao

If you wanted to get technical, yes it would be a Jango mold. However game devs tend to model their own 3D renders. So it's very likely it wouldn't really matter what cast it was if you were doing a 1:1 replica. Since the game never released, nothing is really offical.

Thanks Rexermus! Since in-universe this is supposed to be the same helmet and nothing was ever created for this game beyond illustrations (as far as I know), I figured we had a bit of leeway. My main object was to make this look more like a Boba Fett helmet than a Jango... so I like the idea of the raised side stalk and kill stripes especially as indicators that Boba is starting to make this his own.

As for the flightsuit, we could certainly do this as a custom job, but those are more expensive than a standard line item. Feel free to shoot us a message and we can discuss this further via e-mail.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back