Yet another ToEleven scratch build

Here's an indoor/outdoor of the green mix I gave you, mind you I didn't lighten it up with the white uploadfromtaptalk1459454412534.jpg

But if you're in a dimly lit room and throw the flash on, like the gallery reference pictures, you get that similar lighter green blue color.uploadfromtaptalk1459454515224.jpg

@Raizo That looks reeeeeally nice. I think you're green looks better than mine. I got on a little kick there and went a little too light. I have a feeling this bucket is going to a family member so I'll improve on another one.

I plan to cast some kits once I get done with this paint-up. I'm just holding off so I don't get ahead of myself. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, it was a LOT of trial and error to get that color! Hah
Put me first in line for that helmet cast list though, for sure!
Also do you have any specific ratio for your mandible trim? I think I like the main red you use more than the TS-33 from Tamiya.

Thanks, it was a LOT of trial and error to get that color! Hah
Put me first in line for that helmet cast list though, for sure!
Also do you have any specific ratio for your mandible trim? I think I like the main red you use more than the TS-33 from Tamiya.

Will do. I'm using 3ml pipettes to add my paint...here's my process:

1. Drop in 2ml of model master insignia red and add 3 or 4 drops of tamiya hull red.

2. Basically repeat that until it looks like I have enough.

3. I tested with straight insignia red next to a sample of the ts-33. What I got was a little less brown than the ts-33.

4. After spraying my mix on the helmet it just seemed a little too dark.

5. I go back over it with a quick pass of straight insignia red.

I would probably get the same results if I just add 1 or 2 drops of hull red per 2ml.

I used the pipette method too.
Nice paintup there @Raizo. It was TS 78 I was looking at though and not TS 82. I do have a picture of it if you'd like but it's not a very good representation of the result.

I used the pipette method too.
Nice paintup there @Raizo. It was TS 78 I was looking at though and not TS 82. I do have a picture of it if you'd like but it's not a very good representation of the result.
Right, 78, that's what I meant. I was working with a lot of numbers when I made that post lol... But yeah, I even suggested it to another member a couple of weeks ago when we were trying to find a closer green that wasn't custom mixed.

Right, 78, that's what I meant. I was working with a lot of numbers when I made that post lol... But yeah, I even suggested it to another member a couple of weeks ago when we were trying to find a closer green that wasn't custom mixed.

Sorry to hijack your thread @ToEleven.

I was quite impressed with the colour although I still like the POG a great deal (and I certainly wasn't unhappy with with Humbrol 78 from the TF list). I'm still trying to track down Floquil German Field Gray. If I can find it and it looks good I'll certainly post it up.

Sorry to hijack your thread @ToEleven.

I was quite impressed with the colour although I still like the POG a great deal (and I certainly wasn't unhappy with with Humbrol 78 from the TF list). I'm still trying to track down Floquil German Field Gray. If I can find it and it looks good I'll certainly post it up.

No worries.:)

I'd love to see that if you ever get some. If I could get my hands on some I would probably spray up a swatch and try to match current paints to that. That original esb dome green really has a unique look to it. Humbrol 78 just looks too green to me.

That will definitely happen although recent information I've received indicates that the bottles I'm chasing down are likely a later iteration of the colour rather than a 1970s/80s bottle, which is a shame but I certainly still want to see it.

More damage inflicted on the dome.

IMG_20160403_233933786.jpgIMG_20160403_233910022.jpgIMG_20160403_233951028.jpg

Doing the silver layer topically is making it a lot easier to control accuracy, but man is it time consuming! Hats of to the guys who have mastered this technique.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back