ESB Boba Fett - Scratch Build (Pic Heavy!!!)

Tom Walker

New Hunter
Hi All!

I recently scratch built a Boba Fett helmet...

DSC_0241.jpg


...and it has progressed into building a full costume.

I am building it to be moulded and cast, but in a way in which it can be converted into a Jango Fett variant as well. I will start a separate thread for the Jango variant (which I will link here), but for now I’m focusing on Boba.

I won’t be covering the helmet build in this thread as I have a separate thread already:

ESB Boba Fett Helmet - Scratch Build - Pic Heavy!

I have been using various reference imagery from the film to scale from and also a lot of RafalFetts's measurements.

Here is my progress so far. Hope you enjoy!

1.jpg


I started out by making some rough paper templates and pinning them to a t-shirt. This helped me get the basic shape and scale.

2.jpg


After making numerous templates I began to actually fabricate something.

For the majority of the armour panels I am using 5mm Foamex. It's a really great material as you can shape it with heat and it cuts and sands really nicely. I glued parts together with superglue (activator helps a lot!) and used a whole mess of body filler to blend everything together.

6.jpg


3.jpg


4.jpg


Fresh pull from my previous helmet mould and a splash of primer...

5.jpg


Quick test fit...

7.jpg


Not sure where I got the sharp ridge from on the back panel... So I decided to sand it smooth

8.jpg


9.jpg


Another test fit, and all fitting well!

10.jpg


11.jpg


12.jpg


several alterations (including moving the slots) were made, until I was finally happy with the back plate.

It was at this point when I was made aware of wizardofflight's templates which helped considerably for scaling. Using them side by side with the references I had found, I made tweaks and changes to get them the way I wanted.

13.jpg


14.jpg


15.jpg


16.jpg


For the more detailed areas, I found using 1mm and 3mm Fomex was a lot easier.

17.jpg


I soon had a nice collection of parts coming together.

18.jpg


19.jpg


20.jpg


21.jpg


Small details were added as I went along.

23.jpg


I drew a lot of the greeblies up in Fusion360 and 3d printed them. (some Jango Fett parts can be seen here also)

I also opted to make the knee symmetrical so I only have to make one mold. The excess parts can then be trimmed and sanded off after casting to make them accurate.

24.jpg


25.jpg


26.jpg


27.jpg


22.jpg


This is my parts collection so far...

Next up: prepping for moulding... Stay tuned! :D
 
Last edited:

Tom Walker

New Hunter
Mould Prepping time!

To prepare the parts for moulding, I created a flange around all the edges using cardboard (and MDF for the gauntlets). I used hot glued to attach it.

I then created a fillet between the parts and the cardboard to remove any undercuts. For this I used plasticine that I warmed up on a radiator to keep it soft.

28.jpg


29.jpg


30.jpg


31.jpg


32.jpg


Prior to molding, I gave everything that was going to be made with a solid fiberglass mould several coats of release wax. I applied it generously with a sponge and buffed smooth with a soft cloth.

33.jpg


Waxed and ready to mould...

34.jpg


Thick layer of gel coat applied...

35.jpg


Chopped strands of fibreglass to prevent air bubbles in the tight corners were added...

36.jpg


Stippled down with resin...

37.jpg


Two layers of chopped strand matting added...

38.jpg


More resin and making sure there are no air pockets...

39.jpg


39 2.jpg


Left over night to cure and removed from the original.

The left gauntlet upper part, I had to mould slightly differently as there was an undercut I wouldn't have been able to get out of a solid mould...

40.jpg


A thin (beauty coat) layer of silicone was applied first and left to cure...

41.jpg


Then several thickened layers were applied (added thixotropic addative)...

42.jpg


Locator keys were made with an ice cube tray and attached with more silicone...

43.jpg


The silicone was left to cure over night and then two layers of fiberglass were applied to create a solid "jacket"...

44.jpg


45.jpg


Once the fiberglass had set it could be removed from the original part.

For the small "greeblies" I made walls around them using hot glue and cardboard. I could then carefully pour in un-thickened silicone to create a simple silicone block mould.

46.jpg


47.jpg


48.jpg


49.jpg


They were left over night to cure. The cardboard was then removed and the original parts were taken out. (forgot to take a pic! :()

50.jpg


Nice collection of moulds going on here... Time to cast some parts! :D
 
Top