ESB Boba Fett - Scratch Build (Pic Heavy!!!)

Tom Walker

New Hunter
Hi All!

I recently scratch built a Boba Fett helmet...

DSC_0241.jpg

...and it has progressed into building a full costume.

I am building it to be moulded and cast, but in a way in which it can be converted into a Jango Fett variant as well. I have started a separate thread for the Jango variant here:

Jango Fett Built from Scratch (Pic Heavy!)

I won’t be covering the helmet build in this thread as I have a separate thread already:

ESB Boba Fett Helmet - Scratch Build - Pic Heavy!

I have been using various reference imagery from the film to scale from and also a lot of RafalFetts's measurements.

Here is my progress so far. Hope you enjoy!

1.jpg

I started out by making some rough paper templates and pinning them to a t-shirt. This helped me get the basic shape and scale.

2.jpg

After making numerous templates I began to actually fabricate something.

For the majority of the armour panels I am using 5mm Foamex. It's a really great material as you can shape it with heat and it cuts and sands really nicely. I glued parts together with superglue (activator helps a lot!) and used a whole mess of body filler to blend everything together.

6.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Fresh pull from my previous helmet mould and a splash of primer...

5.jpg

Quick test fit...

7.jpg

Not sure where I got the sharp ridge from on the back panel... So I decided to sand it smooth

8.jpg

9.jpg

Another test fit, and all fitting well!

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

several alterations (including moving the slots) were made, until I was finally happy with the back plate.

It was at this point when I was made aware of wizardofflight's templates which helped considerably for scaling. Using them side by side with the references I had found, I made tweaks and changes to get them the way I wanted.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

For the more detailed areas, I found using 1mm and 3mm Fomex was a lot easier.

17.jpg

I soon had a nice collection of parts coming together.

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Small details were added as I went along.

23.jpg

I drew a lot of the greeblies up in Fusion360 and 3d printed them. (some Jango Fett parts can be seen here also)

I also opted to make the knee symmetrical so I only have to make one mold. The excess parts can then be trimmed and sanded off after casting to make them accurate.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

22.jpg

This is my parts collection so far...

Next up: prepping for moulding... Stay tuned! :D

Last edited:
Mould Prepping time!

To prepare the parts for moulding, I created a flange around all the edges using cardboard (and MDF for the gauntlets). I used hot glued to attach it.

I then created a fillet between the parts and the cardboard to remove any undercuts. For this I used plasticine that I warmed up on a radiator to keep it soft.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Prior to molding, I gave everything that was going to be made with a solid fiberglass mould several coats of release wax. I applied it generously with a sponge and buffed smooth with a soft cloth.

33.jpg

Waxed and ready to mould...

34.jpg

Thick layer of gel coat applied...

35.jpg

Chopped strands of fibreglass to prevent air bubbles in the tight corners were added...

36.jpg

Stippled down with resin...

37.jpg

Two layers of chopped strand matting added...

38.jpg

More resin and making sure there are no air pockets...

39.jpg

39 2.jpg

Left over night to cure and removed from the original.

The left gauntlet upper part, I had to mould slightly differently as there was an undercut I wouldn't have been able to get out of a solid mould...

40.jpg

A thin (beauty coat) layer of silicone was applied first and left to cure...

41.jpg

Then several thickened layers were applied (added thixotropic addative)...

42.jpg

Locator keys were made with an ice cube tray and attached with more silicone...

43.jpg

The silicone was left to cure over night and then two layers of fiberglass were applied to create a solid "jacket"...

44.jpg

45.jpg

Once the fiberglass had set it could be removed from the original part.

For the small "greeblies" I made walls around them using hot glue and cardboard. I could then carefully pour in un-thickened silicone to create a simple silicone block mould.

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

They were left over night to cure. The cardboard was then removed and the original parts were taken out. (forgot to take a pic! :()

50.jpg

Nice collection of moulds going on here... Time to cast some parts! :D

Haven't posted an update in a while... But progress has not stopped!

So where was I? Ah yes... laying some fibreglass.

I began by giving all the moulds several coats of wax to prep them for casting. I then applied a generous layer of gel coat followed by two layers of fibreglass.

51.jpg

52.jpg

Once the fiberglass had set, all parts were removed from the molds.

53.jpg

I then proceeded to produce a second set of parts to later become a Jango Fett varient.

54.jpg

Next up was to tackle the jetpack! I found correctly sized pipes and began making test templates out of cardboard.

56.jpg

I drew up various parts and 3D printed them.

57.jpg

59.jpg

To model the main body I used 3mm Foamex.

58.jpg

68.jpg

Plenty of filler and primer was applied as per usual.

69.jpg

I was initially going to 3D print the rocket. However with the amount of finishing I would have had to do, I decided to take a different approach and turn one on a lathe.

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

Extra details were added after turning. I then drew up and printed a thruster and had a test assembly. I was very pleased with the result!

70.jpg

I continued on and began the mould making and casting process...

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

I missed a few pictures of the moulding process of the thruster, but you get the idea...

80.jpg

For the rocket I did a cavity (sometimes called matrix) mould. Mainly as I was running out of silicone. This process consists of making a jacket that is bigger than your item then pouring in the silicone after. To do this I wrapped the rocket in clay and applied fibreglass. When it had set, the two halves were separated and the clay was removed. the two halves were placed back around the rocket (making sure to keep it central) and silicone was poured in.

81.jpg
82.jpg

83.jpg
84.jpg

85.jpg

I've got a lot of parts and moulds... Didn't think about where I was going to keep them all... :unsure:

Anyway, more parts to come soon! :lol:

I spent a few days tidying up an assembling parts this week... I love this stage, when things start to take shape! :D

I attached the jetpack halves together with fibreglass and filled and sanded the join. I then attached some 8mm threaded bar into the thrusters so they could be bolted into the main body. I also cast a piece of PVC pipe into the rocket so that it would fasten securely into a connector that i'd glued into the bottom on the inside.

86.jpg

96.jpg

I glued hinges and magnets into the gauntlets to allow easy access in and out. I then used fibreglass paste to hold them in place
securely.

94.jpg

Greeblies and details were then test fitted.

87.jpg

I used a dremel to form the necessary dents in the armour.

95.jpg

I forgot about making the little blocks that connect the collar and the codpieces together. I used 1mm foamex to form the shape and the dregs of silicone I had left to make a mold. I used fast cast polyurethane resin to make the final parts.

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

So here is my full set of Boba and Jango armour ready for test fitting!

88.jpg

Suit up pic's to follow soon! :D

I have nothing to add. I only need to say that your skill levle is astonishing.
I usually avoid threads with "scratch build" in the title, because I just know, while the levle of skill might be astonishing still, it usually will not reach the levle that I would be looking for. (That said, my own armor is entirey scratch build, too, except the helmet. And yes, I am not anymore entirely satisfied with it).

YOURS however... Thats next levle stuff. I mean it. Its amazing what you have done!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back