Wookie Braids - ROTJ

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello Fellow Fetts,
I was curious if anyone here has a high-res picture that shows these Braids with the colored thread wraps and pineapple knots on them. To me the 501st’s pics seem a bit fuzzy in that regard. As I understand it the member known as “Woodman” offers these braids. Does anyone know if they are good to be cert’d Level II with the 501st?

Thanks,
-Iron

25C42519-9EDC-41DB-B2E8-3F0094CFA25B.jpeg
59137CDE-97CE-4052-8CC5-59468CBE97B6.jpeg

These are Woodman ROTJ Horsehair Braids. Good for L2 501st.

roger12RAMJET - Thanks for the pics! This helps out a ton! Do we know how those Pineapple knots are made? Is this something you can simply buy from like a Hobby Lobby or Michaels? or are they hand made, if so from what material?

Again thanks for the pics, these are awesome!

(y)

Thanks,
-Iron

Not sure what Woodman uses but a pineapple knot is usually handmade. I made my own and used thin leather strips. You can find tutorials on YouTube on how to tie them. I can post a pic of mine sometime later of the material I used if it will help.

ShortFuse - I seen some of those tutorials, but was curious if you can simply buy them premade. No worries, they don't too difficult to make, plus it only looks like I need to make 2 or 3 of em for the ROTJ Boba.

I imagine using thread to "Tie" up the braids is a tedious task. Looks like they could very easily take up a whole spool of thread in some spots. Hahaha!

And then, are they also "Weathered" in any fashion? What do we do there? Just kick em' around in some dry dirt and shake em' off?

(y)

Thanks,
-Iron

ShortFuse - I seen some of those tutorials, but was curious if you can simply buy them premade. No worries, they don't too difficult to make, plus it only looks like I need to make 2 or 3 of em for the ROTJ Boba.

I imagine using thread to "Tie" up the braids is a tedious task. Looks like they could very easily take up a whole spool of thread in some spots. Hahaha!

And then, are they also "Weathered" in any fashion? What do we do there? Just kick em' around in some dry dirt and shake em' off?

(y)

Thanks,
-Iron
I used embroidery floss for the colored thread, and a few drops of super glue after I tied it. Much easier than trying to wrap it with thread. As far as weathering, I've seen guys just take a brush to them and loosen up some of the braids, makes it look more 'worn' then. Hope that helps.

Mythosaur - I like the "Super Glue" idea. Not being one for sewing, I was always wondering how to "Tie the thread Off" so that it doesn't come undone, I assume this is something the superglue is capable of.

ShortFuse - White Leather Strips, nice, is this something you bought? or did you hand cut those strips? Almost looks like Shoe laces.

Thanks,
-Iron

ShortFuse - Awesome, we've got a Hobby Lobby in town. They're closed, but I wonder if they offer "Curb-side Pickup" too? (Or I could just order online and wait) You wouldn't happen to have dimensions on em' would ya?

I see this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/BEADNOVA-Genuine-Leather-Bracelet-Necklace/dp/B00J5QM95Y
But I wonder if 1.5mm would be too small?

**UPDATE**
Sorry the above link is for a round cord, but the Pineapple Knots seem like they are a "Flat" Strip....correct?

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
Another thing I did was tie it up with simulated sinew before wrapping it in the embroidery floss. The sinew is waxed and holds better than just floss. I used to make Native American regalia so I already had some, but you can get it at Crazy Crow Trading Post online, or sometimes Hobby Lobby will have it. Just make a loop and wrap through the loop, then when it's done pull both the ends, fuse the ends and while the wax is melted push it onto your wrappings to keep it from slipping.

ShortFuse - PM Sent - Thanks Sir!

Mythosaur - Nice......just so happens I'm 100% Native American myself. (Moms side was Chippewa, Souix, Onidea - Dads side was 100% Winnebago - A mutt, but still 100%! ;) ) Also nice techniques on the Embroidery Floss. Got any pics of yer work?

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
I'm partially Sioux myself, only like 1/64th though! I know I have photos somewhere, but I'd have to dig them out, it was so long ago! I used to staff summer camp for the BSA and it was heavily Native American themed. It's funny cause I learned all these tricks with the floss and sinew from building my Northern Traditional bustle!

I used embroidery floss for the colored thread, and a few drops of super glue after I tied it.

Mythosaur
That super glue idea worked like a champ! I wrapped mine using thread. I thought it was gonna be a pain in the rear, but wasn't too bad! I attempted to go the cheap route with my Wookie Braids (eBay) and in doing so, I now see where a little bit of extra cash woulda made a difference. I've already engaged woodman for a set of his! (y) This will do in the interim though.

Thanks,
-Iron

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back