When to hang up the helmet

RedBeard

Hunter
I'm 43 and am just getting started with building a screen accurate costume. Funny I picked Boba Fett as my first, as it is expensive and very laborious...probably not the wisest choice. It's going to take me at least a year or two to get everything I want done right. And I've also started a Sandtrooper, and Republic Commando. It got me thinking though, are there people in their 50's and 60's doing this? I can see me doing this in my early 50's, but not much past that.

Sent from my iPad

Whilst there are a wide variety of ages here i expect it is the middle aged group that will be the most prominent; old enough to have childhood memories that went with Star Wars the first time around and old enough to have that all important disposable income needed for what is essentially an expensive dressing up game. I don't know about everyone else but i could scarcely afford a pot to urinate in during my 20s.

We have a guy in our garrison that troops and he is pushing 70, so don't let age effect what you want to do troop wise.

Whilst there are a wide variety of ages here i expect it is the middle aged group that will be the most prominent; old enough to have childhood memories that went with Star Wars the first time around and old enough to have that all important disposable income needed for what is essentially an expensive dressing up game. I don't know about everyone else but i could scarcely afford a pot to urinate in during my 20s.

Maybe when I get closer to 50, I'll have more of that 'disposable income' you speak of lol. Right now, I just get the rolling eyes and 'how much? Are you serious?' responses when I bring up an item I want to get. When I showed her a machined gauntlet rocket, she laughed at me and asked, "can't you make that out of a toilet paper roll or something?" I doubt she'll let me live to enjoy this past 50 lol.

Sent from my iPad

Hey Cypher, I'll be 52 next month. I started collecting Fett parts nine years ago. Since then then I've completed an official Mando Merc kit, a 501st approved (Dec 2015) Jango Fett kit, and am now down to a very short list to complete Boba. If you like making costume prop stuff like me, the journey is half the fun. The other half of the fun is trooping your finished product.
Good luck in your journey

I'm 59 , still trooping regularly . What's your problem ?

Sent from my iPad

Well now...no need for rudeness. Like I said, I'm new to all this. I was simply curious if there were people still trooping after 50. I don't have any problem with it, and I don't care for you insinuating that I have one. I figured that by the time you reach late 50's or early 60's, the idea of putting on all this gear, especially when it's hot, may not be as appealing. The tolerance level for such a thing usually diminishes after a certain age. But, as I've found with this group, the love we have for Star Wars, doing charity work and other reasons, tend to provide enough reason to continue no matter the age. If you can't participate in a conversation without getting your shorts in a twist, just move along!

Sent from my iPad

Hey Cypher, I'll be 52 next month. I started collecting Fett parts nine years ago. Since then then I've completed an official Mando Merc kit, a 501st approved (Dec 2015) Jango Fett kit, and am now down to a very short list to complete Boba. If you like making costume prop stuff like me, the journey is half the fun. The other half of the fun is trooping your finished product.
Good luck in your journey

I think that's awesome [emoji109]! I'm glad to see that there are guys older than me still doing this. It's very inspiring [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad

Problem isn't age. It's that these troops put a lot of miles on the armor/helmet itself. Everything in this bad boy is fragile so it's gonna get scratches here and there. After a year or so of trooping I'm already starting to think it's time to leave on the mannequin.

My buddy is 75 years young and a Tusken raider every troop. As he got older, he just limits his troops to "cold weather only" because he suffers from heat exhaustion/heat stroke so no hot outside troops. Mostly indoor, A/C or winter cold trooping for that old sarge.

I'm 43 also, and kind of in the same boat as you. I'm still working on my Jango build but figure I will be in it for the long haul or as long as I can.
Besides once you stop you can always put it on the mannequin and have an awesome conversation piece.
In my opinion just being able to say look what I built is reward enough for me. Even if I cant still wear it.

I'm 43 also, and kind of in the same boat as you. I'm still working on my Jango build but figure I will be in it for the long haul or as long as I can.
Besides once you stop you can always put it on the mannequin and have an awesome conversation piece.
In my opinion just being able to say look what I built is reward enough for me. Even if I cant still wear it.

I completely agree

Sent from my iPad

This has been in the back of my mind. I'm still young at 32. How long do I see myself trooping? If I continued trooping, I'd probably change to a different costume that doesn't involve a 17lbs jetpack. I don't have the space for a mannequin (right now)...so would I eventually sell my Fett? Tough question. Matt's right that the gear itself has a life expectancy. I'm very careful when putting on, taking off, and packing my kit to try and get as much life out of it as possible.

I like to think of myself as still young also, but at 55 I'm likely dreaming most of the time. I started collecting parts for my Vader about 15 years ago, and have him on a mannequin when not trooping (which is unfortunately rarely as he's so darn hot to wear), and started on Boba a little more than a year ago. I have all the parts now, and have the blaster and helmet (saving the best for last) to finish painting -- I plan on using the Fett costume for trooping once it's done until I can't move in it any more :).

Sometimes life takes place. And I am speaking for myself. It's been a while since I posted here and it's been almost 4 years since I did any sort of suiting up individually are with the Georgia 501st. After hanging it up for 4 years. I will do the "Time Warp" again by suiting up!

Also . . . would like to take the opportunity to say Hello to new board members as well as the old! There are some great folks here!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back