What hasen't been done?

fightstar

New Hunter
My fellow Mandos, Sith, Jedi and everyone of Sci-fi loving awesomeness. I have been viewing the boards for some time now and I love the variations of the Mandolorians out there. My question is what hasn't been done? For example, is there a Heavy Weapons/Heavy Armored Mando? Maybe a light weapons stealth Mando?

Don't take this the wrong way, but most of the Mandolorians variants look really similar. Is there a reason for this? I have tried to educate myself on the Lore of the Mandos, but I can't seem to find anything that strikes my fancy just yet. I really want to experiment with making a cloth and armor costume, but I want something I really like doing.

Anything, good comments or bad, let me have it. Only way a n00b like me is going to learn.

I always say I'm going to do a KOTOR-style Mando. I will, one of these days..

Read the new KOTOR comics though, lots of variety.
Or just make something up. Heavy weapons/demo guys would have more armour and it'd probably be more bulky. It doesn't seem like they'd have much need for many other accessories besides dets, ammo, etc.. Snipers/rec guys would probably have light armour that doesn't make much noise when they move, and would probably have a lot more long range gear, cameras, probes, etc.

well the similarity in armor is the fact that mando culture is just that, a culture. Remmber the samurai? lots of diffrent style but the same basic elements and look. Same with the greeks and armies of today. why fix something definatly not broke

the flare comes in the paint job and the acessories... and gauntlets. ok ok and how much of the armor you were. Mandos after the war seem to fight with what ever seems most usable to them, kinda like the predators.

I'm currently brainstorming ideas for a custom heavy assault mando. I have some good ideas of how I want it to look. Right now I'm working on some rough sketches and color combos. The armor I'm planing is significantly different from the standard but is still easily recognizable as Mandolorian.

It's funny that you say that as I'm leaning towards 'heavy' for exactly the same reason. You just don't see that many of them. I'm stealing armor bits from clones, stormies, the Predator, whatever... to make my design heavy but still rapidly mobile.

As for military vet, my objective is to make a set of armor as 'heavy' as possible while still being able to move comfortably and quietly. A Mandalorian warrior in constant conflict would most likely have made that same compromise over time.

There was someone on HV&M that had concept sketches for a Heavy Assualt Mando, I don't know how far along he's gotten. I would like to see a Mando version of a "walking tank". As far as a stealth Mando, I'm not sure how much of the armor you can cut back/take away before you lose the Mando "look".

"Walking tank" is sort of what I'm going for. The hard part is bulking it up but still leaving it mobile. I think I have more or less come up with a final design of the pieces of upper body armor. The next step is to produce a prototype and see if it functions while wearing it as I think it will from paper. I have a good idea what I want to do with the bucket and jet pack. I have a few different ideas for gauntlets, but haven't started designing anything yet.

If you're going to have heavy (looking) armor I don't think a jet pack would make sense, imagine the thrust it would have to put out to lift that weight. Instead you might want to think of something like a rocket launcher or other large weapon.

everything has been done, because once someone sees something on someone 'elses costume, they use it

just like all the red and black mandos

the only thing that hasnt been done is a KOTOR mando, and that costume has no seams, so good luck for anyone who wants to do that one

Jet Pack maybe isn't the best description. Perhaps jump-pack would be better. While I would like it to have some thrusters, it is mainly focused around a massive cannon. The best description I can think of for the cannon is something similar to the Glitterboy armor's "Boom Gun" from Rifts, but at the same time not nearly as extreme. If I can work the thrusters into the design I will. If not, oh well. A few years ago I came across a part at work that would make a great thruster opening for the cones to stick out of rather then be mounted on the sides.

Just for reference here is a pic of the Glitterboy suit
536px-Glitterboy.JPG

No jet pack for me. I'm going with a hostile atmo enviro-pack with hoses direct to the helmet. If you're going heavy, you're not getting off the ground with a back-mounted jet pack.

WOW! I really got a discussion going on here! I guess we can all agree that a Heavy Assault Mandalorian has yet to be done, no?

Here are some ideas I have.

1) No jet pack, but what about a way for one or two other Mandos to carry said H.A.M. (Heavy Assault Mandalorian) like a back pack with a handle or hook?

2) What are some heavy assault type weapons the Mandalorians would need in combat (ex. rocket launcher, multi or twin rocket back pack, mortar cannon, BFG, etc)

3) Helmet pieces. Boba and Jango, as well as other Mandalorians have the range finder antenna. Would a HAM need this? My thinking is that his helmet my be more Clone Commando or stream line as to not interfere with other weapons, but is this correct?

So what do you all think of this?

I would think you'd want to go with a heavy, but man-portable weapon system. Something like the M32 is reasonable.

I'm going with a scope-free helmet but I'm adding a targeting reticle to one eye. Probably something that flips up and out of the way like an Apache pilot helmet.

Skip the hook idea. It would take more time to explain than it would to build and it would probably look odd.

Of course, you could do an airborne HAM with folding wings for gliding down from a dropship.

M32.jpg

Of course, you could do an airborne HAM with folding wings for gliding down from a dropship.

"That wasn't flying! That was... falling with style!":p

All this talk about H.A.M. is making me hungry. I think I'm going to throw my hand in the pot and try to come up with a heavy Mando look.

Regarding weapons systems for this H.A.M. it occures to me that if there were to be any point in having extra armour then the weapons would need to be something that a regular Mandalorian commando couldn't carry with ease. To that end I'd suggest the following:

1)Lose any and all jet packs, jumppacks or gliding wings. Such a heavy Mando would be slow and an easy target. Leave flight to the jet pack equiped regulars.

2) Extra armoured plates are a must whilst retaining the Mandalorian armour feel, so solid chest armour with the standard chest shapes moleded into it, there-by showing the link. Larger shoulderbells that provide added protection, additional leg armour (maybe completely sealed like clones) and upper arm armour. Remember that this would be a Mando more inclined to stand and fight, Slow and heavy and able to shrug off incoming fire.

3) Weapons... The M32 looks nice but is too small. Something along the lines of the Z-6 Rotary Blaster Cannon or the Cip-Quad would fill that set of shoes nicely AND are already part of established Star Wars canon. Either would also be a crowd pleaser (as those that have made working Z-6's can atest to). Perhaps with 2 flame units on the guantlets, one on each arm.

Personally I'd keep the RF array and motorise it so that it lowers when activated by a switch on the cannon, That way it'd look like you're using it to aim, nice and intimidating.

Thanks for the advice Orthar, now my fiance has another reason to tell me I have too many costumes planned.:p

LMAO tru! I would like to thank you as well Orthar. You make an excellent point on the H.A.M.'s armor and weapons. As well as keeping the periscope range finder. I have a lot of rough sketches made up, but before I go any further I have some more questions.

1) Who is this Mandalorian here and here(the mandalorians on the bottom)? I like the hose going to the helmet idea, but I don't know where in the history of the Mandalorians these guys fall?

2) Armor. Should this be different armor all together or should the armor be extra armor attached to the Mando, base armor, that is already there?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back