Superjedi's MCR-ESB for CDYoung

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all!
I told you I'd be back soon! :)
I'm pretty amped to start on this helmet. Not only is it ESB/SE number 48, it's the first of several Machinecraft Replicas MCR-ESB helmets i have lined up. Woo hoo!
The helmet itself has been reviewed, and there's not really anything more I can say about it except that it looks amazing! The kit includes machined aluminum ears and RF stalk, just like I previewed recently in my ear prep and installation tutorial thread. They're sharp and fit the helmet perfectly. A Terminalfettler RF topper is included as well.
For this build, CDYoung also sent a metal Borden piece and a real vintage MQ-1 circuit board. Some pretty sweet accessories!

20201021_124247.jpg 20201021_124223.jpg

I prepped the helmet this afternoon, doing all the cutting and trimming. I gave it a nice soapy bath and it should be ready for primer tomorrow.

20201022_174735.jpg 20201022_174714.jpg

This is gonna be fun!

Hi all!
I told you I'd be back soon! :)
I'm pretty amped to start on this helmet. Not only is it ESB/SE number 48, it's the first of several Machinecraft Replicas MCR-ESB helmets i have lined up. Woo hoo!
The helmet itself has been reviewed, and there's not really anything more I can say about it except that it looks amazing! The kit includes machined aluminum ears and RF stalk, just like I previewed recently in my ear prep and installation tutorial thread. They're sharp and fit the helmet perfectly. A Terminalfettler RF topper is included as well.
For this build, CDYoung also sent a metal Borden piece and a real vintage MQ-1 circuit board. Some pretty sweet accessories!

View attachment 200083 View attachment 200084

I prepped the helmet this afternoon, doing all the cutting and trimming. I gave it a nice soapy bath and it should be ready for primer tomorrow.

View attachment 200085 View attachment 200086

This is gonna be fun!
for this kinda thing we have to invent an new term. "Hero Helmet" doesnt quite cut it anymore...

Anyways... Im really interested how you are going to tackle this one and how the results will look :)

Whatever you decide to call it, it's the coolest thing in the universe ever! :p

The helmet is in primer now. This does obscure some of the detail that's preserved in the surface, as some of it appears only as slight differences in reflectivity. But the physical artifacts like the surface cracks and the slight edges of the original paint layers are preserved.

20201023_163832.jpg 20201023_163813.jpg

When I prime any helmet, I like to use an adhesion promoter under a good quality primer. Adhesion promoter is like a primer for your primer and helps strengthen the bond between the primer and the surface you're painting. I'm using Tamiya primer for this one, applied in a couple of light coats.
With a heavier primer such as Krylon or Duplicolor you'll risk losing even more surface detail, as those primers are fairly thick.

20201023_163858.jpg

I'll start the color coats this weekend!

The first color is on. :)
I airbrushed on the beige on the back panels. On these lineage helmets, I do mask around the edges of the panels to minimize overspray. I have removed the tape in this shot, but I left it on the keyslot area.

20201024_062703.jpg

Once this is dry I'll stencil and mask for the dark green.

I refined the shapes and added the smaller details on the left panel. I also did some SE weathering, which shows as wear on the dark green parts, as well as some physical and painted scratches.

20201025_062743.jpg

I'll do the same on the right panel next.

Incredible work as always, superjedi! Thanks for posting your process. It’s extremely helpful and inspiring that I may give this a shot one day.

cdyoung, you are a lucky lucky fellow!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back