Superjedi's FPH Progress Thread

Soooo nice I've been waiting for the dent to get some color on it (y)

So, I gotta ask ... I may be shooting myself in the foot, but here it goes anyway...

When we get into painting these things, we get a good idea for how accurate the shape and size is of any particular helmet by how certain signature scratches and marks line up to any particular detail/area of the piece. In your opinion, since you're the first to paint one, how is everything seeming to line up so far ??? Very soon, there will most definitely be comparisons of the FPH and the MR ) which I'm not too worried about, as I already know how it chalks up ;) ) but given that, I'm just really curious about how it's all falling into place for you. Granted, I know that stencils, and or tracing, or eyeballing (however you're doing it) isn't a definitive measure on how something would transfer from a 2D to a 3D , but in general ... lets have it ? Rock me gently :lol:

Terrific job my friend ! :cheers

FP

Thanks again, everybody. Hope the techniques I'm using will come in handy for someone. (y)

Chris,
Regarding the overall dimensions and proportions: I haven't found anywhere that's off by more than a couple of millimeters here and there. You're right that it's hard in some areas to translate 2D pics of the real deal to a 3D sculpt, but everything's been lining up extremely well.
When I do my "transfers" I take a known measurement of the helmet, say the width of the keyslot area, and scale the pics on my monitor so they're the same size. Then I trace the damage, and transfer it to the helmet. Doing it this way, the only areas so far I think that have been proportionately a little off are the corners of the T-visor. Like I said, it's only a couple of millimeters, so it's hardly even worth mentioning. Everything else has lined up just about perfectly. :)

UPDATE: November 23rd

Two steps forward, and one step back. :eek:
Not sure what happened exactly, but somehow I managed to make a pretty big error in transferring the damage area around the upper left corner of the T-visor. Everything in that section came out compressed somehow. :confused I noticed it when I was painting the damage in and around the killstripes.
Here's the area I'm talking about. It's the mostly silver area just below the most broken killstripe.

IMG_0131.jpg

It took me a considerable amount of time to figure out how to mask things so I could respray my mandible color without losing all the work I've done so far. I finally managed to get everything masked off, and used some fine sandpaper to smooth out the silver/gray/maroon areas I had painted. Once it was smooth, I crossed my fingers and sprayed the area again with Boxcar Red enamel.
After removing the masking, I was left with a nice undamaged surface to repaint.

IMG_0134.jpg

After allowing time for it to dry, I remeasured the damage and redrew my transfer, double checking as I went to make sure it would look correct this time.
Now that it's repainted, it looks MUCH better. Here's a side-by-side of the before and after.

MandibleRepair.jpg

Prior to working on the repainted area, I had finished detailing around the dent and the damage all around the killstripes.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

I still have to go back and do the very fine scratches in these areas and then the big streak coming back from the dent. After that, I'll paint the big weird scrape on the top of the helmet, and then all the main painting will be pretty much done! :D I'll still have the ears to do, so that'll keep me busy for a few more days.

Awesome work!
.......and thanks for that kill stripe tutorial, that looks amazing!
Can't wait to see this done. :cheers

Josh

I'm just floored by how wonderful this is looking and your posts are going to be invaluable to anyone painting this helmet. Thank you very much for sharing this.

Thanks muchly! I get more and more tickled looking at this helmet the closer it gets to completion. :D

UPDATE: November 24th

Almost there. . . almost there!
Got just about all of the major painting done on the helmet. I finished the streak coming back from the dent, and also did the small scratches all around that area. I think I sprained my eyeballs looking at ESB screen caps trying to figure out what was there in the movie compared to what happened over the years as the helmet traveled to all the exhibits. :lol:

IMG_0139.jpg

I also did that big scrape across the crown of the dome. I had to use several reference pics and really study the shape of this area, cuz it really changes shape depending on perspective.

IMG_0142.jpg

Added some more of the fine scratches around the front area and behind the killstripes. Not sure how visible it is, but I also added the slight fade below the killstripes. I hope this will still show up after my clearcoat! :facepalm

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

So now, all that remains on the helmet itself is the molded-in arch for the upper RF earcap. I usually save that till I'm ready to paint the ears. That way I only have to mess with my airbrush once.
I did some very minor sanding on the ear parts today and gave them a coat of Tamiya gray primer. So tomorrow I'll be able to do the color coats! (y) :)

UPDATE: November 25th

OK, all major painting on the helmet is done! :D I masked and sprayed the RF ear arch when I painted the other ear pieces today. Just a little touch up along the masked edge, and that was it.
Still have the clearcoat and pastel weathering to do, and then the very last things I'll add will be the white 'thumbprints.'

I took a whole bunch of pics out on my balcony in indirect sunlight. These are much closer to how the colors look in real life. (Huh? What's real life? :lol:)
Here's a selection of today's pics.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

And a close up of the back just above the keyslot area. For some reason, I just love this part!

IMG_0202.jpg

If anyone's interested in seeing the rest of the pics, here's my Photobucket FPH page:
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/superjedi/FPH Fett Helmet/

More to come this week as I work on the ears! (y)

As to my working fast, I found a way to alter time.
Now I just need to figure out how to speed up the harvest and teleport myself off this rock. :lol:
Glad to provide tutorials. Lord knows I've borrowed enough info from other members. Such as this:

UPDATE: November 26th

Well, it was back to work today. . . real work, not working on the helmet. So of course, I didn't have as much time to devote to Boba. But this little project was started last night, and finished today.
Using JLuck's excellent circuit board bracket idea, I built one for my helmet! It's not as pretty as his, but it does work very well! (y)
I cut out a piece of .060" styrene just slightly larger than the MQ-1 piece. The circuit board is just slightly narrower than the keyslot openings, and I didn't want any hollow space to show on the sides. I drilled holes just like JLuck describes in his thread, and put the hardware in place. I'm not using T-nuts like him, but some small aluminum screw posts instead. I held the whole assembly in place inside the helmet, and marked where I wanted the screw posts to go. I then put some JB Weld onto the base of each one and epoxied them into the back of the helmet.

IMG_0211.jpg

Due to a very slight asymetrical shape on the inside of the helmet, one of the screw posts didn't quite touch. I super glued 2 very thin washers to the screw post (before JB Welding the bracket) to get that 4th "leg" to touch.
The whole assembly holds the MQ-1 part very close to the keyslots.

IMG_0212.jpg

And here's how it looks from the outside. :D

IMG_0209.jpg

This afternoon I also sprayed some Testors Dullcoat onto the helmet to seal my paint work prior to weathering. Depending on how much time I have the rest of this week, the weathering will probably be spread over a few days.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back