So what are the best paints to use?

NikTrooper

Active Hunter
Like the title says, is there a consensus on the best paints to use that don't involve too much mixing? I can get Humbrol enamels fairly easily, and I'm looking at the Archive-X Floquil range but someone told me they weren't that great. So just wondering what's best to use?

Enamels are stronger but very toxic to inhale and also if they dry out a bit on the airbrush it will be a pain to clean.
I use acrylics.
Considering the simple and imprecise colors we deal with, alongside the wide áreas, I don't think its too important to be too picky and get the fancier Tamiyas or Vallejos. I'm currently using Testors Aztec and they are fine IMO.
Hope someone more experienced comments.

I thought that comment was a little strange myself. The majority of the people on here will stop at no end to get the precise color. You can fudge a little bit, but to the trained eye, they will pick up on it in a heartbeat. I am not one of those people. I like to be as close as possible, but I am probably in the minority on that. As for the original post, I would stick with acrylics.

I use enamels. Best colors, period. Most people will recommend Humbrol, I use that with some Model Master paints and also enamel Tamiyas. If you can find the discontinued Floquils thats a win too.

Not to say that you can't create the desired effect with acrylics or even rattle cans but I've found great difficulty trying to get the right colors with the acrylic selection I have around.

Hope that helps!

I don't know what ArchiveX is. Floquil is a discontinued line of model paints. The railroad lines discontinued around four years ago and the military lines around twenty. If you're in for a long haul then these are the paints to research as these were used in production in the original films. There are some colours that have very good modern day matches in some of the brands mentioned to the point that they're extremely close and maybe not worth trying to track down the Floquil version but in general when these conversations turn to paint we invariably end up trying to find a match for an old floquil colour e.g. Humbrol do a yellow that is a great match for Floquil Reefer Yellow, I forget the humbrol number but Darth Vorhees will know, and good for various armour parts and killstripes. In other colours the off the shelf alternatives aren't so good. The Lee Malone/Rogue Studios paint list in the consolidated paint ups sticky at the top of the board is the best starting point for the floquil list. If going pure Humbrol then the Terminal Fettler list on the paint by numbers thread the best place.

Where is this “Lee Malone/Rogue Studios paint list“?

I don't know what ArchiveX is. Floquil is a discontinued line of model paints. The railroad lines discontinued around four years ago and the military lines around twenty. If you're in for a long haul then these are the paints to research as these were used in production in the original films. There are some colours that have very good modern day matches in some of the brands mentioned to the point that they're extremely close and maybe not worth trying to track down the Floquil version but in general when these conversations turn to paint we invariably end up trying to find a match for an old floquil colour e.g. Humbrol do a yellow that is a great match for Floquil Reefer Yellow, I forget the humbrol number but Darth Vorhees will know, and good for various armour parts and killstripes. In other colours the off the shelf alternatives aren't so good. The Lee Malone/Rogue Studios paint list in the consolidated paint ups sticky at the top of the board is the best starting point for the floquil list. If going pure Humbrol then the Terminal Fettler list on the paint by numbers thread the best place.

I'm open minded but I've not yet seen anything that takes me a million miles from Lee's list. It may not be perfect but it's the best starting point I've seen thus far.

So far I'd not seen archivex post anything themselves but some group members going with '1975 Light green', presumably the old Floquil 41 light green, misted with grime. Have they posted something up that I've mist? Hahaha, good one Andy!!!

Not Archive-X themselves no, just one or two guys doing Fett lids with their colors. Though going off the way they talk it does give the impression of the two working hand and hand on color development so to say

Personally, I prefer using acrylics...non toxic, easy to clean, can thin down with water, mix well, and they are very flat. But I'm a big fan and proponent of mixing to get a desired color and tone. Favorite brand to work with through airbrush, Testors Model Master Acrylics) surprisingly. Favorite brand to work with topically, (Humbrol Acrylics) also surprisingly. I love Pollyscale colors but they are absolutely a headache using for airbrush. Maybe because they are discontinued and all the stuff I have is New Old stock, but everytime I use it in my airbrush, it clogs up because its so globby, even properly thinned and even if I try and strain it, some small pieces always find their way lodging into the nozzle.

As for archive-x, they are very appealing with all the research being done, but unfortunately they are moving very very slowly on the Fett Helmet colors. And to reiterate what has been said above, some members have been using (non archive-x confirmed) colors like 1975 light green as the dome green with misted grime. The results have been good but not great. If only they would do an acrylic line, so far I haven't had the desire to go enamel.

Yeah Andy, pretty sure thats it. From my talks with friends who have seen the hero stuff and visited the archives, the Archive-X colors were described as being a little to “vibrant”, if that makes any sense. And I agree with you that the light green with grime misting appears too light looking in the photos Im seeing from some, though lighting may be playing a small factor here
Regardless . As we’ve seen in the EFX casting photos, Arts photos, and if we compare to the EFX paint Proto for which Gino was super anal about the colors on, the green should be slightly darker with more of a slight grey/blue hue to it

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back