Are you going to wire to those switches, or just use them as greeblies? I have a set that I plan on just using as greeblies since I am currently not planning for any lights or moving components of my costume, but I'm always trying to solicit ideas in case I should change my mind :D

Are you going to wire to those switches, or just use them as greeblies? I have a set that I plan on just using as greeblies since I am currently not planning for any lights or moving components of my costume, but I'm always trying to solicit ideas in case I should change my mind :D

To be honest, I got them because they're a requirement to have. They can be installed without electronics, and I will likely do so for the time being. I have heard there is a blue tooth servo method, and of course I haven't looked into it, but when I get to that point, I'm sure the Fett Fanatics will be here to guide me. I'm fortunate to know at least three Fett builders in my area so I can see things in person and ask questions, but the community here is outstanding. I've already decided I want to change out my gauntlets so wiring them right now isn't top priority - but I could just move the electronic guts to the next set.

The end goal, however, is to have electronics in my gauntlets and helmet.

The great thing about this hobby, and it's taken me a while to really understand costuming this way, is that you will spend a long time upgrading over the years. Getting a basic Boba Fett costume is a challenge in itself. Getting the top tier, best equipment, screen accurate, quality stuff is the dream - but achieving that dream requires deep pockets and time. I'd rather troop with the others and upgrade over time. My plan is to have quality armor, gaunts, helmet, and jetpack. Everything else, in my opinion, is upgradeable.

You should go for the upgrades eventually! Take your costume to the next level, once you get where you want to be.

Got a few hours of progress in today: Jetpack paint prep! Boring stuff, but needs to be done for a nice canvas. Got everything sanded to a good stopping point and have a few WIP photos for those interested in cleaning up the Man of War jetpack. I hear Man of War is moving to soft parts only? Or at least not doing hard part/resin runs any longer? Either way, I was fortunate to pick up one of his last ones then.

Here's a quick look at the parts after they were sanded down and rocket assembled.

NC27akS.jpg

Piano Keys! The part of the jetpack I've never paid attention to until I had to grind off a bunch of resin and use an x-acto knife to cut away the rest of the flash. Ended up grinding down the block until it was thin enough then dialed it in between the corners

ONPuf3y.jpg

I ended up attaching the piano keys to the pack after I sanded it down. The pre-shaped resin fit in pretty good, but I ended up using a heat gun to reshape the keys for a tighter fit on the corners.

SdOTia1.jpg

In the previous posts above, I noted how many seams there were to the casts. Fortunately they just came off with sand paper and didn't need any bondo work. Should be a nice smooth coat once paint comes in. Here's an after photo of the sanding for those wondering if they should clean up the lines. Yes, yes you should.

DlROFPs.jpg

I didn't spend much time on the back portion. But you can see the bungee installation on the eye hooks. I believe this should work. I knotted up the cord a bit to snug the fit more, but it appears that the thrusters will move freely if bumped.

4ETeXqK.jpg

And here it is! Almost in its glory. Still need to order the MachineCraft Replica's beacon and get the dental file for the stabilizer, but this thing is ready for paint! Pretty stoked to have gotten to this point. I will likely magnetize the rocket to the pack for disassembly and packing.

What to work on next?

fQjMpWh.jpg

Everything look so great! I have a wasted Fett pack and a MOW pack so if you have comparison questions let me know.

Have you tried the Gauntlets on yet? I played with magnets and had issues with them popping open when I moved my wrists up. Mine weren’t hinged though so maybe that was it.

Everything look so great! I have a wasted Fett pack and a MOW pack so if you have comparison questions let me know.

Have you tried the Gauntlets on yet? I played with magnets and had issues with them popping open when I moved my wrists up. Mine weren’t hinged though so maybe that was it.

I have tried the gauntlets on and even after reshaping them, the right side is a little tight on my wrist. The left is perfect. The magnets I'm using are pretty hefty and I haven't been able to pop the connection even with the flight suit on, but it's not a live troop, so I'll find out soon enough. I'm happy with them, but will be looking to upgrade to something more comfortable for my wrists.

The hinge is probably better than a bunch of magnets because you're relying on all of them to keep the bottom on (if yours are two piece). With my setup, there's only one failure point and its a thick magnetic bar. Depending on how many magnets you have, each of the edges can be a problem. (You're welcome to PM me your setup). Once a pairs bond breaks, the others won't stay on because it's a hard edge and it will peel away. It also depends greatly on the magnets strength. I used a bar magnet instead of rounds that I usually use. That's just my experience, and not to say my method is the best either, because it's not. Several other Fett's have shown me their systems and I like theirs too. Some have locking bars, others simply slide on, some are velcro. Lots of ways to achieve the same end. When you shop for magnets, look at the holding strength. It's worth noting that you can stack magnets to increase the bond, but gauntlets may not allow for much room to set them.

Regarding Wasted Fett's jetpack, you're welcome to PM me photos of the bits and construction if you'd like. Wasted Fett is a great resource and I'd have gotten a pack from him too had I not rushed and picked up MoW. My buddy has the NME jetpack he hasn't constructed yet and he's going to let me inspect it. Another buddy has a scratch built one out of 3mm sintra! Blown away by the makers out there.

NME pack has 4 fins... and the piano keys have a lot to be desired compared to the MOW and the pack WF makes which both do not have that issue.

Also, Im not just Wasted Fett of Instagram .

Amended, sir!

Your helmet and armor work is above and beyond. You've really kick started me into this endeavor and I thank you. There are so many builders and variations out there. I'm glad that I stumbled upon your work when I did. I may have to put my name in for gauntlets before long.

I admit that I've screen capped and compared your armor to the ESB references and RafalFett stencils and I admire how closely detailed all of them are to each other. I can only hope that when I start laying paint that I come as close to all of the references I have, and hope to do your armor and helmet proud. You're the ESB Screen references I never had.

Minor update while the holidays roll through. Put some time cleaning up Wasted Fett's FPH2 helmet. Great to work with! The filing and sanding was pretty easy going. Key slots are like a rite of passage.

qxHBQjT.jpg

Working on this helmet is a new thing for me. My first bucket came from NME props, The Mercenary, and when I received it, it was cleaned up and visor was installed. With Wasted Fett's I used a diamond dremel blade to cut out the visor. This was my first time using a dremel blade and working with a quality helmet like this. You can imagine my caution and see how far away I made the cuts. I didn't want to chance hitting the actual helmet itself.

uIfz9b4.jpg

I had originally planned to file out the helmet, but the work was slow going, so I got a piece of 100 grit sand paper and wrapped it around a piece of plastic and made a thin sanding block to work the edges of the helmet and clean it up. It worked way better than I expected. I hear others use painters sticks or scraps of sintra.

QRT8mXQ.jpg

For the corners of the visor I took a small file that I used on the key slots and trimmed back the left over cast before using the sand paper stick to smooth it out.

6WfzctD.jpg

Here it is, edges and key slots cleaned up. Still need to lightly sand the surface and clean up the range finder and ears. The details on Wasted Fett's FPH2 is great. There are scratches in the helmet that I know should be there for the paint, but I'll probably lose some of that detail in the prep. All good. It's nice to know that the quality and workmanship is all there though!

9dFvjMM.jpg

Last edited:
Another slow but steady WIP update. Finally found some time to belt-sand the armor rough cut then smooth out the edges and sand the surfaces for paint! Primer down, silver added. Now to get some masking fluid...

cUrLFef.jpg

lVs2BUD.jpg

QlAQmjL.jpg

Also filed out the chest LED area. This looks to be about right?

GvZx5or.jpg

Last edited:
you need to further trim your armor, theres too much return edge

Great! Thanks for the heads up. I felt that the chest pieces were still too thick on the sides. The curve made belt sanding difficult, but I can revisit it with a dremel. Any other thoughts on the return edge before I get to trimming it? I was afraid that I'd make it too thin and trimmed to the curved edges of the mold. Trimming down the back shouldn't be a problem. What thickness am I looking for? I read it was 3mm, but am hesitant to trim that thin.

edit: Did some digging around the forum and seems 3mm is the way to go. Best to handle this now!

Are you speaking specifically of the the chest/belly armor? Or are there other issues you see? Thanks again.

Last edited:
the chest and ab plate are what I see as being too thick possibly the collar....take a look in the gallery to see how much return there should be gauge as best you can

"It is worth noting that the resin gauntlets from Man of War did not have a perfect fit. As with many resin products, warping occurs and you may need to reheat the resin and reshape. I spent the better part of three hours reshaping the gauntlets to a perfect fit..... Getting the seams to match when closed took a long time."

I have MoW gauntlets (and jetpack) as well. Same exact experience with the gauntlets. They are slightly warped, and even after using a heating gun, hot water, shaping and taping, there is still warp :( It'll be mostly masked by the seams and additional greebies, but what a pain. I will also note that I have slender (ladylike) forearms so I cut down a LOT from the mega-huge MoW gauntlets.

Putting together the MoW gauntlet pieces = a test in patience LOLOL I had to finally go to an armor party and get some help.
GREAT thread, I'll be following it closely.

During the holidays, a few items arrived! Boots via Man of War and cod / collar studs, gauntlet darts, and borden from Machine Craft Replicas.

1fF0hyM.jpg

336Z126.jpg

At the first anticipated Armory Party of the year, it afforded me some time on the belt sander and some open air to lay down the primer and silver base coats on my gauntlets and jetpack.

In a previous post, it was noted that the return edge of the chest armor was too thick, and bringing that to my attention is greatly appreciated. Here's a before and after of the thick edge compared to the trimmed armor. I was hesitant to trim it this low, but in the end it looks much better.

zFsKceJ.jpg

aF0wd5i.jpg

Also found the time to dry fit the Alco push button switches and gauntlet darts. Stoked to finally have these fitted.

HYc0BHG.jpg

Spent the whole day watching paint dry. Put on the flat gray primer and followed with Satin Nickel for the base layers.

hKzD2Nx.jpg

Now that these items are primed, I'll start on the masking fluid as I can. I'll be doing a layered paint job with some thick top coats to really give the armor and gauntlets a realistic chipped look. Really looking forward to the next time I can put down some paint. I have the Spruce Green (?) for the gauntlets and jetpack and hunter green for the armor. Great to finally get some extra time on the kit!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back