ROTJ Boba Fett Build Thread - the journey begins ....

If you are looking for part sources, there is an itemized list with links for the parts I used on my build here: https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/dv8r’s-boba-fett-rotj-work-in-progress.28852/
dv8r
All my time in doing my ROTJ build and I never noticed your build! Looks great sir! Love the authentic smoke from the Jetpack and the shot of flame from the flamethrower nozzles. Super cool!
:cool:(y)

Irongladiator what do I need to attach to the back of the jetpack to hold it on?

And could you point me in the direction of a decent JETPACK beacon?

Also I need lights for the jetpack also, right?
MojoTurbo
I quickly found that you can go quite crazy with metal parts on the Jetpack. I'm doing a 2nd Jetpack that is more my size, as I'm a larger Fett standing at 6'2". My 1st Jetpack is 3D printed and came from an etsy member calling themselves Coz3D. For that Jetpack I opt'd for a few upgrades. They give you everything needed, but it is all 3D printed.
Coz3D Jetpack Kit.jpg

I wanted metal parts, so I hunted them down and weighed my choices. In the end I went with:
Part
Vendor - Storefront
Jetpack - Beacon with Silver Topper (With Lights)​
QuestDesignCanada - Etsy​
Jetpack - Stabilizer​
Jetpack - Thruster Greeblies​
Jetpack Button (Bottom of Jetpack)​
Eaton Push Switch (Part: 8411K12) - eBay​
Jetpack - XLR 3-Prong Connector (Bottom of Jetpack)​
Neutrik (Part: NC3MP-B) XLR Connector - Amazon​
Jetpack - Hooks (Back of Jetpack)​
FullMetalFett - The Dented Helmet (Cargo Hold)​
Jetpack - Hatch (Back of Jetpack) Magnets​
Rare Earth Super Strong Magnets - Amazon​
Connector for XLR (Bottom of Jetpack)​
Switchcraft R3F Right Angle Female XLR Plug - eBay​
Hose from XLR Connector (Bottom of Jetpack)​
Shower Cord - Home Depot​

In the end this is what I ended up with....
Iron's JP - All Pics.jpg

Again I chose QuestDesignCanada's Jetpack beacon and he sells it with different two lighting options:
1) No Light - just the Beacon
2) Beacon with the LED On/Off
3) Beacon with the LED On/Off/Pulse

I thought for a few bucks more, why not get the pulse option thrown in?
1653849303233.png

But if you're curious as to how the lighting option looks on the Jetpack. Here is how the two options look...

Steady Light

Pulsing Light

Hope this helps you out some!

Regards,
-Iron

Now....my 2nd Jetpack comes from Boba Maker - Since I have an ALL Boba Maker Armor solution, I thought why not get and support his Jetpack as well. This is probably my most single expensive item that I now own in my Fett kit - the Jetpack alone was $710.00. It is still very much a WIP as I have lots of painting still left to do. BUT I have acquired all of the Jetpack Greeblies. As I said the Boba Maker Jetpack vs the 3D printed one I have now will look better on my 6'2" frame I think. Here is what they look like next to one another....
Boba Maker vs Coz3D - ROTJ Jetpacks - Pic 2.jpg

Like my Coz3D Jetpack I wanted to go all out on this one too with the greeblies - and acquired myself a good hunk of metal parts.
1653850238824.png

Full Set of JP Greeblies.jpg

Here is that list of metal parts I acquired for my Boba Maker Jetpack...
Part
Vendor - Storefront
Jetpack - Beacon
Boba Maker - Provided with Jetpack Purchase​
Jetpack - Stabilizer​
Boba Maker - Provided with Jetpack Purchase​
Jetpack - Thruster Greeblies​
Jetpack - Exhaust​
Jetpack - Thruster Discs​
Machine Craft Replicas - The Dented Helmet (Cargo Hold)​
Jetpack - Collar​
Machine Craft Replicas - The Dented Helmet (Cargo Hold)​
Jetpack - Large and Small Rivets​
Acquired both from a friend - he claims he got them at Home Depot​
Jetpack - Button (Bottom of Jetpack)​
Eaton Push Switch (Part: 8411K12) - eBay​
Jetpack - XLR 3-Prong Connector (Bottom of Jetpack)​
Seismic Audio (Part: SAPT258) XLR - Amazon​
Jetpack - BNC Connector​
TUOLNK BNC Female 4 Holes - Amazon​
Jetpack - Master Coupling​
Kendrion (Part: 50.061.02) - Bürklin​
Jetpack - XLR 5-Pin Female Connector​
Canon (Part: XLR5-31-F77) - eBay (Super Rare Find)​
Jetpack - Hooks (Back of Jetpack)​
Jetpack - Clips (Back of Jetpack)​
Connector for XLR (Bottom of Jetpack)​
SwitchCraft R3F Right Angle Female XLR Plug - eBay​
Hose from XLR Connector (Bottom of Jetpack)​
Shower Cord - Home Depot​

I also realized I haven't answered your question of: "How does this hook up to the Jetpack Harness?"
For my Boba Maker setup, it will be connected/supported in four spots - but I usually find it better to have the pictures do the talking....
1653853763547.png

Does that make better sense?

Best,
-Iron

Oh....one final thought concerning your Jetpack Beacon dilemma. I know that PinkFlamingos6 is going for 501st approval at the moment and they seemed to have dinged him on the Jetpack beacon as being too small. And if I'm not mistaken, he also has a 7CS Jetpack as well. The Jetpack Beacon he went with was from QuestDesignCanada. From what I've heard is that the Jetpack Beacon from either QuestDesignCanada or Machine Craft Replica's will be about the same size. For my Boba Maker Jetpack, since it was bigger, I wanted to see the size difference between what Boba Makers Metal Jetpack Beacon looked like next to the one from QuestDesignCanada looked like.....and well.....
1653854566215.png

There is a bit of a size difference. So I opt'd to keep with my Boba Maker one. Even looking at the comparison in my last post, you can see the Jetpack Beacon differences in size.

Just wanted you to be aware. But I'll let PinkFlamingos6 talk to his experiences with the 501st and his Jetpack Beacon.

Best,
-Iron

Yes IronGladiator is correct. But my GML has agreed to let it slide. I think the angle of the picture had something to do with it. I also have the QuestDesignCanada beacon with lights and I would highly recommend going for the pulsing light, it's totally worth it!

so just to get my ducks in a row

beacon light kit $63

beacon $55

harness $89

clips / jetpack hardware

DO I NEED ALL OF THESE THINGS LISTED HERE?

• Buckles $37.50
  • Belt x shaped triglide adjuster $17.50
  • Hooks.............$32
  • Clips...............$21.50
  • Rings..............$11

$119.50

paint job $550

total: $326 + $550

so just to get my ducks in a row

beacon light kit $63

beacon $55

harness $89

clips / jetpack hardware

DO I NEED ALL OF THESE THINGS LISTED HERE?

• Buckles $37.50
  • Belt x shaped triglide adjuster $17.50
  • Hooks.............$32
  • Clips...............$21.50
  • Rings..............$11

$119.50

paint job $550

total: $326 + $550
This list looks good to me! I don't think you'll need the rings because they should come attached to the harness already.

beacon light kit $63

beacon $55

harness $89
MojoTurbo
Just curious what vendors you were thinkin' about on the above? But yeah, the list looks good for a Fett Jetpack solution.
(y)

This list looks good to me! I don't think you'll need the rings because they should come attached to the harness already.
I would agree with Krewkid82 on this. And while it seems I may have gotten an earlier version of BigDanes Jetpack Harness. I feel like the included rings were a bit too big. Plus we're only talking about $11.00 here, so not that much more for Full Metal Fett rings that are meant to fit the Full Metal Fett Hooks! But here is a size comparison between the BigDane Rings versus the Full Metal Fett Rings....
Ring Comparison.jpg

According to the 501st (For a ROTJ Fett) the White Strap material should be 1.50" in width, which fits the Full Metal Fett Rings perfectly. Now, I do know that vendors always strive to improve their offerings and as such, items in a kit and the specifications have that potential to change over time. So it very well may be that the newer BigDane Jetpack Harness offering, that the Rings included in that kit are at or near the same size as Full Metal Fett's version. Again, my BigDane Jetpack Harness kit is older, so can't be too sure, nor can I speak to that.

The other concern is that the amount of spare metal for the rings to be allowed to slide back and forth on Full Metal Fett's Hooks. I for one, just don't like the idea of it jingling and jangling on my back while I walk around. Below is a pic of the two with my 1.50" White Strapping, that I'll be using...
Ring Comparison - Pic 2.jpg

And then lastly, there is the concern about Back Armor.....making sure the slots in the Back Armor are big enough for the rings to slip through. I know that not all Back Armor (or Armor in general) is created equal within the various Fett vendors out there on the market. I myself possess Boba Maker's Armor, the slots on his Back Armor is a hair too small for the Full Metal Fett rings. But my two handlers (Wife and Daughter) know that you must route the rings in at an angle to get them to fit through - but they go in easy enough. The 1.50" white strapping however is a perfect fit! But here is a pic of what that looks like....
Two Rings with Boba Maker Armor.jpg

But again, just food for thought, things to think of. Trying to save anyone the time spent on this only to run into potential issues down the road. For those of us that have been doing this for awhile, these delays for dumb little things like this are annoying to say the least.

But best of luck on your build, and any questions, just let us know!

Best,
-Iron

Last edited:
MojoTurbo
Just curious what vendors you were thinkin' about on the above? But yeah, the list looks good for a Fett Jetpack solution.
(y)

I would agree with Krewkid82 on this. And while it seems I may have gotten an earlier version of BigDanes Jetpack Harness. I feel like the included rings were a bit too big. Plus we're only talking about $11.00 here, so not that much more for Full Metal Fett rings that are meant to fit the Full Metal Fett Hooks! But here is a size comparison between the BigDane Rings versus the Full Metal Fett Rings....
View attachment 224132

According to the 501st (For a ROTJ Fett) the White Strap material should be 1.50" in width, which fits the Full Metal Fett Rings perfectly. Now, I do know that vendors always strive to improve their offerings and as such, items in a kit and the specifications have that potential to change over time. So it very well may be that the newer BigDane Jetpack Harness offering, that the Rings included in that kit are at or near the same size as Full Metal Fett's version. Again, my BigDane Jetpack Harness kit is older, so can't be too sure, nor can I speak to that.

The other concern is that the amount of spare metal for the rings to be allowed to slide back and forth on Full Metal Fett's Hooks. I for one, just don't like the idea of it jingling and jangling on my back while I walk around. Below is a pic of the two with my 1.50" White Strapping, that I'll be using...
View attachment 224133

And then lastly, there is the concern about Back Armor.....making sure the slots in the Back Armor are big enough for the rings to slip through. I know that not all Back Armor (or Armor in general) is created equal within the various Fett vendors out there on the market. I myself possess Boba Maker's Armor, the slots on his Back Armor is a hair too small for the Full Metal Fett rings. But my two handlers (Wife and Daughter) know that you must route the rings in at an angle to get them to fit through - but they go in easy enough. The 1.50" white strapping however is a perfect fit! But here is a pic of what that looks like....
View attachment 224134

But again, just food for thought, things to think of. Trying to save anyone the time spent on this only to run into potential issues down the road. For those of us that have been doing this for awhile, these delays for dumb little things like this are annoying to say the least.

But best of luck on your build, and any questions, just let us know!

Best,
-Iron
Dang I need to get full metal fetts rings haha mine are to big with all of those issues!

Dang I need to get full metal fetts rings haha mine are to big with all of those issues!
Krewkid82
Hahaha! Those are just my immediate concerns with em'. Now are you saying that your BigDane Jetpack Harness....the included rings are about that size still? (Just curious)
1653961828092.png

But yeah, at $11.00 for a set, not the end of the world.
1653961811682.png

-Iron

Boba Maker quoted me $2,200 for a completed painted armor set - no helmet

so

1, who is another good helmet fabricator - or
1a. should I get a helmet from boba maker and have someone else paint it?

with 2 different painters - is there an issue with colors not matching? People saying "wow, your helmet dosnt match?"

or am I over thinking it

MojoTurbo
I’ll be honest when I first started my journey, painting was one of my biggest concerns too. I painted up everything except:
a) Chest Armor
b) Shoulder Armor
c) Knee Armor
d) EE-3

I didn’t do these because I was very nervous about the variations in the paint with these. I commissioned Boba Maker to paint my Armor and Sidewinder painted up my EE-3. The rest of the painting was done by me. And this was my first attempt at painting something like this. I started with my Collar after I received my chest armor and I waited cause I wanted to try and match Boba Makers green he uses on the Chest Armor for my Collar, CoD/Kidney and Back armor. But have since been told I did a heck of a job.

So don’t feel like you can’t do the painting, I’ll tell ya there is a great sense of pride when you do complete it!

Concerning the over thinking of it. Maybe? I do know that the greens should come close but not be a 100% exact match. There are some variations to the paint. Check out the 501st CRL on the subject.

Best,
-Iron

Boba Maker quoted me $2,200 for a completed painted armor set - no helmet

so

1, who is another good helmet fabricator - or
1a. should I get a helmet from boba maker and have someone else paint it?

with 2 different painters - is there an issue with colors not matching? People saying "wow, your helmet dosnt match?"

or am I over thinking it
The ROTJ helmet and armour are different colours, so I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

$2200??? Damn! Maybe I should charge more for the stuff I’ve been selling. ROTJ is not as complex as the ESB armour, but it all depends on how much time/confidence you have to do it yourself. Also the airbrush/paints can fetch a few $$$ too.

If I wasn’t drowning in Fett projects to complete, as well as recently having a 2nd kid, I’d offer myself as a potential painter. There’s a few people that might be able to help you here though.

I have a BobaMaker helmet and would highly recommend it! I also agree that you shouldn't worry about having 2 different painters for the helmet/armor, as long as they're similar in quality of workmanship.

It all depends what you're after in your build and what your budget is. I went into this build pursuing a childhood dream and my hopes were to create a costume that would be good enough for the 501st and trooping, but not museum quality. For me, it was amateur hour and I was fine attempting to do everything on my own.

If you're trying to get into the 501st, I've heard that the BHG has apparently stepped up their requirements. So having your pieces professionally painted might not be a bad idea.

I should be getting my soft parts in 2 weeks and then ... pictures !!! yipee.

Funny I can find lots of weathering refs for Boba's front, but not his back.

I guess because his back is mostly covered and nobody wants to troop with a dirty butt

are there weathering ref pictures for the back of the jumpsuit?

or rattle can recommendations for color for the flight suit?

as always - thank you

I should be getting my soft parts in 2 weeks and then ... pictures !!! yipee.

Funny I can find lots of weathering refs for Boba's front, but not his back.

I guess because his back is mostly covered and nobody wants to troop with a dirty butt

are there weathering ref pictures for the back of the jumpsuit?

or rattle can recommendations for color for the flight suit?

as always - thank you
I just went in thinking to match the front of my jumpsuit. Like if the lower legs are darker then do both sides the same. You should take a look at your CRL to see if you can match the weathering.

This thread is more than 4 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back