Ponte and rnbuda's SE/ESB Paint-up: May 1 UPDATE *Main Helmet Done!*

Almost there! Did a test this past week on my helmet before replicating the results on rnbuda's to make sure I was satisfied with the custom mix results....and yes, I certainly am.

For the cheeks and dome, I decided to use some trusty enamel colors, along with an enamel equivalent of my newly-found gray that appears on the entire helmet.

DSC_0657.jpg

Problem was, after looking at numerous photos of the ESB hero that weren't soaked in flash, I came to the conclusion that our trusty Humbrol 78 was WAY too olive on the green scale for the main dome and cheeks green. After multiple-angle photos of the real deal, I came to the conclusion that the green used had much more of a "bluish" hue to the green. Part of that IS from the weathering, but as a base color, I think Humbrol 78 could use some work.

DSC_0684.jpg

MUCH better. Taking the Humbrol 78 and adding drops of blue and light gray (no real ratio, it was all drop and mix at this point), I was finally satisfied with my color.

The part of the helmet that equals the back panels in the "tedious torture" department...the killstripes. After an hour (or so), I got these things set.

DSC_0680.jpg

After gazing at reference photos, I mixed some yellow with a DROP of brown to dull it up and remove some of the vibrance. Gradual drops of orange were added to fade. It's also important to note that as the killstripes get "newer", they have more of a "ridge" to their sides from over-spray, and should NOT be steel-wooled down.
DSC_0683.jpg

Very, very happy.

DSC_0689.jpg

So clean. That'll change soon.

DSC_0688.jpg

Only 2 main layers to go, in addition to the ears (which will be painted after the visor trim since the ears color extends to the "platforms" of the trim). Once I'm done with the layers, the entire helmet will receive a once over with hours (and hours) of fine detailing using pigments, airbrush splatters, x-acto gouging, and whatever other wonderful stuff I can replicate.

DSC_0686.jpgDSC_0685.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0680.jpg

DSC_0683.jpg

DSC_0684.jpg

DSC_0685.jpg

DSC_0686.jpg

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0689.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick comparison between my old helmet (Humbrol 78) and the current helmet (Custom Mix). You'll notice the slight tinge of blue on the current one.

DSC_0690.jpg

Can't wait to see what this crack repair will look like with all the "dried glue" and other gunk.

DSC_0691.jpg

DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0691.jpg

This helmet is turning out to look great! The amount of dedication you are putting into it is admirable.

Geez. . . amazing looking!
What do you use to mark the outlines of the chips in the killstripes? Is it a white transfer paper or something?

Geez. . . amazing looking!
What do you use to mark the outlines of the chips in the killstripes? Is it a white transfer paper or something?

A very light transfer paper that's thankfully extremely erasable. I'll use Rafal's stencil, make sure that the sizing of the stripes match with the rest of the damage already created, and make small guiding lines to get an idea of their height. Once I figure out the spacing and cant of the stripes (on the hero some of them are unfortunately not perfectly perpendicular to the visor trim, and there's a space or two where the bottom "pinches" towards the bottom), I'm able to start masking. That added visor crack definitely doesn't help the masking either. :D

This thread is full of so much WIN! Mods, think we could get a Stickie here when Ponte's done?

A tiny update on another pain in the ass area of the helmet: the visor trim. As you can see, I saved cutting it for last since I can man-handle the helmet before then when painting other layers. Once that visor trim comes out you feel like you're trying to stencil and paint an eggshell. I absolutely wanted the "width" of the edges on the trim to be as slim as possible to match the screen-used helmet. Nothing throws off a Boba helmet more than chunky, uneven visor trim.

After laying down the silver and main gray that are used on the dome, cheeks, back panels, and right ear cap, I needed to come up with a mix for the dark red/brown. Folks, this color is NOT Joker purple, and I've always felt that any semblance of vibrant purple came from the atrocious color-shifts in the gallery photos that are soaked with flash. I truly believe the actual is an extremely dark red with a HINT of purple attributed to the brown tint in it. Most likely, Joe Johnston used the main red color for the visor trim and added drops of black and brown to darken it up. Or, there could have been a ready to go color off the shelf. Sandy (the woman responsible for numerous Pre-Pro paint-ups for Boba, as well as the ROTJ hero) told me they would re-use the same color they had on another part of the armor and just add drops of another color to vary it.

I spent the better part of an hour mixing reds, purples, browns, blacks....tossing mixing cup after mixing cup until I thought I had a real winner. After painting a few dabs of this maroon next to the color I plan on using for the main red, I was satisfied with the contrast of it:

DSC_0706.jpg

Almost there!

DSC_0706.jpg

Rick, that looks amazing! The experimentation of your colors is great, I hope when you're done with mine it looks as good as this bad boy!

Small preview, but the visor trim is DONE! More info on it when I get a few minor details/weathering completed on it.

DSC_0730.jpg

DSC_0730.jpg

Yep, absolutely spot on. I was never that convinced with the purple myself, and both that underlying colour and the main red you seem to have nailed. Interested to see how you weather the dome green too. I feel it is a fraction light just at the minute, but with a fair way to go yet, i'm sure it will look a million bucks by the time you are finished. Amazing job so far brother! (y)

Incredible. You're painting everything with Humbrol's then? It's spectacular.

Incredible. You're painting everything with Humbrol's then? It's spectacular.

The only Humbrol colors on that helmet are the silver, main gray (for dome and cheeks only), and #78 that was mixed with a few other colors. Next helmet, I'm going to color match a suitable acrylic Testors color for the main green so I won't have to go back to enamel. The only color that I'll ALWAYS stand by is the Humbrol 11 Silver...I haven't found a paint yet that replicates that unique "sparkle" that was found on Original Trilogy props.

It's interesting how close Polly Scale's US Medium Green is to the humbrols your using. It would make a great substitute without any of the custom mixing. But then again it could be the dark lighting....

DSC_0688_zpsjaxclwls.gif

That has to be due to the lighting. No off the shelf paint is going to be close enough to truly match that green used on the real ESB/SE helmet even when negating all of the other weathering effects. Sure, it's a solid method but it won't net you the closest result.

That has to be due to the lighting. No off the shelf paint is going to be close enough to truly match that green used on the real ESB/SE helmet even when negating all of the other weathering effects. Sure, it's a solid method but it won't net you the closest result.

True its just a simpler and quicker method for the base coat for other people who want to try it out.

Pollyscale US Medium Green (the bottle that I'm holding in this picture) was an old color that a lot of us used for the main green on the armor that was a little off the mark, and WAY off the mark for the helmet. I can say with confidence US Medium Green isn't even close to Humbrol 78, or my custom mix.

DSC_0767.jpg

DSC_0767.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back