Ponte and rnbuda's SE/ESB Paint-up: May 1 UPDATE *Main Helmet Done!*

What do u mean?
In his comparison photo

sorry i should have been more specific i mean doesnt the cheek look like it was painted by hand or with a brush?

uploadfromtaptalk1413573237850.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In his comparison photo

sorry i should have been more specific i mean doesnt the cheek look like it was painted by hand or with a brush?

I see what you're saying, and yea, it totally does look like weathering was applied in that area using a brush.

I see what you're saying, and yea, it totally does look like weathering was applied in that area using a brush.

I may also be shooting blanks here but doesn't it appear that the scratches may be possibly brush hair or one of the bristles stuck in the paint? once again just throwing ideas around.

- - - Updated - - -

SuperJedi and I both apply silver by hand with brushes so its VERY possible to achieve the look...And I see what youre saying but its also possible its from a repair or other means

What Im saying is its possible theyre brush strokes...could be brush strokes under the paint too though...like in the gelcoat of the fiberglass...theres so many interesting things about the helmet...

On the green inner cheek, it does definitely look like wide brush strokes.
It could be from an application of a dark wash over the helmet.

On the green inner cheek, it does definitely look like wide brush strokes.
It could be from an application of a dark wash over the helmet.
I would say it's a wash because of the brown strokes atop of the green or whatever color that is.

Subscribed! I'll be getting back to my helmet paint-ups this winter, and all of this discussion will be great!

Well i'll be subscribing to this thread! I actually have been putting the crack on the right side in my paintjobs...didnt know about the buldge though...very interesting. I also usually put a dark wash over my helmets to match the promo shots and the color is close to those recent pics just from that, but im sure it can really be thought out and gotten much closer. Its hard to show because daylight and flash pictures always make the colors look lighter/washed out as Ponte mentioned before. Im definitely going to keep track of any discoveries here!

Plan to, if someone else does all the homework and figure out the color combinations. Personally I'm not as concerned with every color being adjusted for correct darkness, but at least the large area colors like the dome/cheek green and mandible red.
Personally I like the darker look.

I think the green is alot less browner than originally perceived. But has anyone thought about just asking art?

Alright, on to the other details. There are two areas that were once thought to be strictly damage acquired after filming that are prevalent on the “Special Edition” version of this bucket that I firmly believe existed on the ESB bucket at the time of filming. The hairline vertical crack and bulged warping of the mandibles. You can definitely see both in this comparison photo:

View attachment 81771

You can really see that crack on the ESB, and I think the reason it’s so apparent on the helmet as of recent is due to continual stress over the years making the crack slightly larger, exposing the gelcoat underneath. The hairline is relatively easy to replicate with an exactly knife doing a precise, DEEP gouge, while the warped bulge will most likely have to be built up using Bondo:

View attachment 81766View attachment 81768

When I first saw this post, I said to myself that the second damage is definitely a post ESB damage. While we knew for a while of the right upper cheek crack being present during the ESB shoot, the warp bulge presented by Ponte here was not visible... at least not for now. I really wanted to contradict him by searching all the available stills and screencaps to show him that this is not true, but... I found hard evidence which made me a believer:

ESB Right Upper Cheek Deformation 01.jpg ESB Right Upper Cheek Deformation 02.jpg

While in the second image the left helmet bulge is not too clear (I tried to use the same helmet position and the lighting didn't helped at all), we know it's there.

ESB Right Upper Cheek Deformation 01.jpg

ESB Right Upper Cheek Deformation 02.jpg

Nice work Raf (and Ponte of course). When i make some changes to my ESB helmet master, i think im going to add these details. :)

Alright, we've got some updates!

So I've been spending the past few weeks in research mode with not just getting the colors to where I want them, but figuring out the best way to attack the physical defects that need to be replicated on the helmet. With obvious differences between when the ESB was filmed and it's current Special Edition state, I decided good ol' Bondo and Milput were going to be my best bets instead of trying to heat and crack the helmet.

To get an idea of where the physical damage was going to be placed, I traced the areas off of re-sized images of the screen-used helmet. After that was transferred to the bucket, it was time to shape the imperfections using Bondo.

attachment.php
Boba-Fett-Costume-CIV-Britt-122.jpg

I used some self-adhesive foam as a physical template for the Bondo. This would help mask and guide the shape directly from the stencil...no guesswork here:
DSC_0259.jpg

Now that the stencil has been applied, the Bondo was set onto the surface. I used a little less Bondo on another helmet as it is a PAIN to sand down (we already know that, don't we? :D):
DSC_0266.jpg

After a week of sanding, re-applying Bondo, and more sanding, we're finally getting closer to the desired "bulge" for both the mandible, and the vertical hairline crack:
DSC_0533.jpg

Just about done. It should also be known that the crack on the bulge is REALLY bad. Looking back and forth between ESB stills and Special Edition references, I now feel the crack that underlines the bulge may have gotten more pronounced as the years went on. I'll most likely soften this up since this is a hero ESB paint-up:
DSC_0534.jpg

Two ESB's, fully primed, ready for paint-up:
DSC_0531.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0533.jpg

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0531.jpg

Boba-Fett-Costume-CIV-Britt-122.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back