Pinkflamingos6 ROTJ Build

Using a toothpick or XS hobby brush to mask will help reduce the 'blob' look. It's tedious, but it gets the job done.

For the shoulders/knees I have a paint chart with humbrols on my build thread. Not sure what it would be if you want to go with rattlecan. You don't need new shoulders/knees....just the paint. Strip it down with sandpaper, prime it, and you're good to go. Never feel bad about paint. You can always strip and try again.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to go back and check. I was thinking about repainting but I wanted to get some quotes from Daz. Plus I was thinking of upgrading to aluminum dart launchers instead of the resin ones I have currently.

PinkFlamingos6
As you know, I have Machine Craft and QuestDesignCanada metal parts and they both are of excellent quality! The 4 little Gauntlet darts for the right gauntlet that I have are from QDC, and quite excellent as I'm sure are the MCR's versions! But here are the QDC versions I have....
Close Up - Gauntlet Darts.jpg

And they look great on my Boba Maker Gauntlet...
Right Gauntlet.jpg

Metal parts in general will be better than the resin/3d printed stuff, just ones opinion.
;)

-Iron

Been doing a little digging around trying to find better colors for the knees/shoulder armor and saw this:
Screenshot_20220525-174651_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-174805_Amazon Shopping.jpg

What do you guys think? I think the yellow looks like a good starting point, not too sure about the light sand. I like the idea of a lacquer for durability.

Looking back at my feedback I think I may end up redoing the shoulders and knees. Does anybody have a good recommendation for the 2 colors? I'm also thinking about upgrading to BobaMaker knees and shoulders to save me some time since they come primed ready to paint.

This was something I wanted to do after approval but it looks like I'm not getting approved anytime soon with my workload ahead of me.

Also any tips on how to fix the "blobby" areas of the helmet?

Thanks for viewing!
For the shoulders and knees, you want to use armor yellow, which is equivalent to Bauhaus Gold spray paint by krylon. Then you will want to mist the whole thing with a brown color, but don't get too heavy, and avoid heavy spots, it's all subtle. Depending on lighting they can sometimes appear orange. It's gonna take some practice to get it just right. You may have to try a few times and take photos each time, in different lighting to get the proper results.

Honestly, redo the dome. And really study the silver damages, the details are small and intricate, you want jagged edges not round edges. Again, you are going to have to practice this, your painting skills are at a novice level. Make side by side comparisons with the real deal and really study the differences you see. You will improve.

After doing some thinking I've decided to go with a set of BobaMaker shoulder and knee armor. I'll consider this a little upgrade over what I have now. Plan on using what I have now as some practice pieces.

Picked up some bauhaus gold paint and another lighter yellow for the damage. Hoping to get started on the practice pieces soon while I wait for the BobaMaker armor.
20220526_184017.jpg

Was also able to add some more grime to my boots as well.
20220527_094732.jpg

As for the spats, I think I'm gonna flip them inside out since my previous weathering stuck pretty well after a wash in the washing machine.

As for everything else, I'm still on the fence. My goal initially for my costume was to get everything "good enough" for 501st approval. But it seems this is a higher bar than I thought. I'm still gonna try to get everything up to snuff, but I think I may need to take a break and do more thinking.

Nice deal on the BM Shoulder/Knee set! You will not be disappointed! As far as the spats. Be careful, the 501st doesn't tell you which way to have them spats. and the CRL pics are kinda hard to make out too. The pic of the way that you posted awhile back was correct though - at least through my research....
PinkFlamingos6 - Ankle Spats.jpg

I actually had a thread on this topic too: Left vs Right Ankle Spats (ROTJ)

RafalFett also commented on that thread too and set me on the straight path with this pic (I added the RED Arrow)....
Ankle Spat Reference Pic.jpg

And so, in the end, I ended up doing it this way.....
Ankle Spat Configuration - Pic 1.jpg

Ankle Spat Configuration - Pic 2.jpg

You'll even see that I marked the Spats in Sharpie which was which with a "L" and "R". That way I'd know which way to wrap it. (Sharpie mark on the inside)
1653671916572.png

Again, I don't think this is a detail that the 501st worry's about for basic approval, but for me I wanted to stay true to how it was worn on screen.

Best,
-Iron

Yeah I'm excited for the BobaMaker armor pieces. Should have them in 2 weeks. I think with the right paint job they'll look a lot better than my current pieces.

As for the spats, I figured as much for the orientation. If I flip them inside out, I'll just have to switch which leg they go on.

So I got some feedback from my GML today and thought I'd share with you guys. This isn't everything as he's still working on my submission, but the feedback so far has been good and any rework is minor and I agree with. Fingers crossed!

First off is the right pouch on the ammo belt. This is something that I figured was going to be on the rejection list. I was never really satisfied with how they came out and I'm going to give them a wash and redo the weathering to get it closer to the pictures.
View attachment 222991

Second is the tip on the rocket on the left gauntlet. They want a little more weathering on it to make it less shiny.
View attachment 222992

Third is the switches on the right gauntlet. He said they would have to come out. I emailed him saying that the CRL says that if there are switches, they need to be the correct push button switches. I'm really hoping I can get away with this one as I'm not a fan of the empty holes but if I gotta do it I gotta do it.
View attachment 222993

Fourth was the cheek color on my helmet being too dark and not blue enough. I sent some more pictures since the original submission pictures show the blue being darker than it is. I think I should be fine with this one. The other was thing was that the silver damage appears blobby. Still waiting on other feedback of the helmet.
View attachment 222994
View attachment 222995
View attachment 222996

Fifth is the girth belt which was the first thing I knew was going to be kicked back. I've since tightened it up and posted pictures on my thread.

Sixth is the knee armor being a little too bright. Might need more weathering but I sent an additional photo.
View attachment 222997

Seventh are the gloves, requested a close up, might need additional weathering.
View attachment 222998
View attachment 222999

And finally... my wookie braids are good enough for basic approval! Woooo what a relief lol

That's all I have for now, I'm currently sweating out the jetpack and the remainder of the helmet hoping I don't have to do anything major to them.

As always thanks for viewing and thank you everybody on here for all of your help with this build! Couldn't have done this without everybody here on TDH! :)
Looking sharp! Did you just hot glue the elastic bands to the knee pads? I'm getting to that point now, was thinking of sewing velcro to my suits knees and attaching some to the inside of the knee pad as well to help it from sagging down.

Looking sharp! Did you just hot glue the elastic bands to the knee pads? I'm getting to that point now, was thinking of sewing velcro to my suits knees and attaching some to the inside of the knee pad as well to help it from sagging down.
For the knees, I have velcro sewn to the flightsuit to help hold them up. I also have velcro stuck to the knees themselves. I sewed velcro to the elastic straps and stuck more velcro to the inside of the knees. Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about. Hope this helps!
20220529_115918.jpg

20220529_120156.jpg

20220529_120240.jpg

Also be sure to sew the fuzzy side to fabric and glue the "hook" side to any hard pieces!

For the knees, I have velcro sewn to the flightsuit to help hold them up. I also have velcro stuck to the knees themselves. I sewed velcro to the elastic straps and stuck more velcro to the inside of the knees. Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about. Hope this helps!
View attachment 224052
View attachment 224053
View attachment 224054
Also be sure to sew the fuzzy side to fabric and glue the "hook" side to any hard pieces!
Absolutely perfect! That's what I was thinking, but I like how you did Velcro on the straps too! Great idea! Is it hot glue holding the hook side, or did you use super glue, or epoxy? Gonna run to town shortly and get Velcro, and strap material!

Absolutely perfect! That's what I was thinking, but I like how you did Velcro on the straps too! Great idea! Is it hot glue holding the hook side, or did you use super glue, or epoxy? Gonna run to town shortly and get Velcro, and strap material!
I used industrial strength velcro with the sticky back for the armor pieces and regular velcro for the fabric. I haven't had any problems but hot glue should be fine for the armor.

PinkFlamingos6
I ended up doing it the same way Lazerjock showed me.....
View attachment 222633

Your solution looked good too. I liked the idea of putting the hose behind the armor, that way it wouldn't mess with the paint job on the armor.
I've rocked this solution on a couple of 2-hour long troops and it's never embarrassingly come undone! I can't imagine yours coming undone either. It's tough to beat a tie wrap. Obviously in either case, you need someone to assist you in getting it put in place though.

-Iron
Man! I need that cord! Where's the fellow who sells those bad-boys?! I love how it attaches, is there a write-up and how-to?! As always, bro, your suit is rad!

The hose for the jetpack? That's actually a shower hose that you can but from home depot lol check out IronGladiator's build thread for more info. That's how I did mine but I attached it to the jetpack harness.

SammySoSo
PinkFlamingos6 is correct, to me as well.....that is the best possible way to get the knee armor to sit on your knees properly. I don't know of anyone who just uses the white strap and have it held in place - almost seems impossible. Even the Kidney Cod Armor, you gotta have it held in place via Velcro. I tried with just Velcro on the Cod Armor and nothing on the Kidney Armor....and found that the Kidney Armor liked to slide down just under my butt. Of course, this looked very awkward. So I had the Kidney Armor velcro'd into place as well - Problem Solved!
Velcro and Hole Added to Flight Suit.jpg

Armor Attached - Headset Wire Routed.jpg

And that white strap, same thing as PinkFlamingos6, Using velcro and sewing it onto the White Strap, never had an issue with this setup....
Iron's Knee Strap - Velcro Placement.jpg

Iron's Knee Armor - Velcro Placement.jpg

Oh, and yeah the Shower cord that PinkFlamingos6 talks about, yep I got that from Home Depot...
XLR Materials.jpg

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Iron

SammySoSo
PinkFlamingos6 is correct, to me as well.....that is the best possible way to get the knee armor to sit on your knees properly. I don't know of anyone who just uses the white strap and have it held in place - almost seems impossible. Even the Kidney Cod Armor, you gotta have it held in place via Velcro. I tried with just Velcro on the Cod Armor and nothing on the Kidney Armor....and found that the Kidney Armor liked to slide down just under my butt. Of course, this looked very awkward. So I had the Kidney Armor velcro'd into place as well - Problem Solved!
View attachment 224082
View attachment 224083

And that white strap, same thing as PinkFlamingos6, Using velcro and sewing it onto the White Strap, never had an issue with this setup....
View attachment 224084
View attachment 224085

Oh, and yeah the Shower cord that PinkFlamingos6 talks about, yep I got that from Home Depot...
View attachment 224086

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Iron
That's good to know, I hadn't thought about the cod/kidney armor. Also yeah I couldn't see the knee pads staying out either without some kind of added support such as Velcro. Thanks for the pics! You and flamingo have helped a bunch!

SammySoSo
View attachment 224082
View attachment 224083

View attachment 224084
View attachment 224085

View attachment 224086

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Iron
Lol I don't use any velcro on my cod piece hahha I think I got too much "cake" as my wife says hahaha

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back