Paint (brand) and Finish - Question

GalaxyFarAway

New Hunter
Hello All, I will soon be starting the painting process and had planned on using Tamiya acrylics (primarily because I have used them before airbrushing and have a bunch). Just wondering if they are durable enough ? I would not mind buying a different brand for this project if that is necessary.
Also, if I do go with the Tamiya acrylics, is their satin finish/clear coat durable enough ..... or are there better options (for durability) for the final clear coat ?

Thanks. Bob

I do not recommend Krylon clear coat(I hate this brand), I only recommend Rust-Oleum Matte clear coat for any and everything. Make light coats in warm(NOT COLD) weather to avoid any wrinkling.

Tamiya is a good paint, acrylics are easy to work with but if youre wanting durability you can switch to enamels, though they are harder to work with and even more of a paint to clean up your airbrush.

I've used Testors dull coat, which is a lacquer spray, over acrylics for years with zero problems.
No matter what clear coat you choose, make sure your base colors are completely dry. I let my paints cure for at least 24 hours before clear coating.
Also, spray the clear coat in light coats. Don't try to give it full "wet" coverage in a single heavy coat.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back