One last wafer thin ESB paint job...

TF has done more recent paint jobs, with little tweaks to these colors over the years. They may be helpful to new members here. It's worth looking them up, as members are always asking for advice, suggestions, and help for their buckets. However, please don't expect exact recipes or ratios for color mixing. It is a trial and error process, with lots of fiddling to get a particular color or shade. Don't be afraid to PM him for advice or paint mixing help. He has begun a thread on an old Malone Fett helmet paint-up commission that is starting to get good. I may have asked a question or two myself on that thread about colors and paints myself! :D

Terminal fettler,

first off this is the best paint up threat on this site,I have a question regarding step 43.

What do you outline with a white pencil exactly?

Hope me you still see these!

Could someone direct me with this?

41. grime in arrows, around ears and on top of mandible/ dome join, 93 mixed thin with white spirit

For this do you use an airbrush or another technique? Brush? Small sponge?
Thanks in advance!

Could someone direct me with this?

41. grime in arrows, around ears and on top of mandible/ dome join, 93 mixed thin with white spirit

For this do you use an airbrush or another technique? Brush? Small sponge?
Thanks in advance!

Humbrol Enamel

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

The light green under the killstripes(scratches) . Is this acheived by physically scrathing it or is it a painted layer .. it doesnt really say in the list of steps. Thanks!

The light green under the killstripes(scratches) . Is this acheived by physically scrathing it or is it a painted layer .. it doesnt really say in the list of steps. Thanks!

Hi, the light green weathering under the kill stripes is thinned Humbrol white, applied with a small brush, allow to dry and build up in layers to achieve the correct look...

Thanks ! I was hoping i hadnt forgotten a layer! Is this layer on the SE helmet? I seem to find images of both.

Sent from my SM-G920V

Tweaked colour list: (20/5/10)
1. L/H ear: red 60, grey 28+64 (1:1), green 159+78 (1:1) weathering splatter brown 93 on front surface. Ear decal white 34.
2. R/H ear: silver 11, grey 79, sand 94
3. Back panels grey 147, silver 11, grey 106, beige 28 ( mist with beige 103 ), green 76+96 (1:1) weather green with wire wool as per ref pics and light shading with dark grey 32.
4. Dome and lower cheeks grey 147, silver 11, grey 79 and green 78.
5. Mandibles and trim: grey 147, silver 11, grey 106, purple 73+104 (1:1), red 60, red 73.
6. weathering with brown 93 around trim and arrows, shading with grey 32 along edge of lower cheeks.
7. splatters with brown 62, beige 103, grey 79.
8. scuffs brown and white caran dache pencil.
9. scuffs by kill stripes layer with black 33 and brown 62 with white spirit.

I thought i would document the process again as i try to improve on the last one. I've planned a couple of tweaks to the techniques and colours. The helmet has a white gel coat which will be scratched back to in certain areas, a thin grey primer coat and the first layer, the light grey Humbrol 147, which is actually blue/green/grey...

1. thin coat of grey primer
2. light grey base coat 147

tip: reference pictures used from 'Boba Fett at the Art of Star Wars Exhibit', courtesy of TDH...

View attachment 16114
Tweaked colour list: (20/5/10)
1. L/H ear: red 60, grey 28+64 (1:1), green 159+78 (1:1) weathering splatter brown 93 on front surface. Ear decal white 34.
2. R/H ear: silver 11, grey 79, sand 94
3. Back panels grey 147, silver 11, grey 106, beige 28 ( mist with beige 103 ), green 76+96 (1:1) weather green with wire wool as per ref pics and light shading with dark grey 32.
4. Dome and lower cheeks grey 147, silver 11, grey 79 and green 78.
5. Mandibles and trim: grey 147, silver 11, grey 106, purple 73+104 (1:1), red 60, red 73.
6. weathering with brown 93 around trim and arrows, shading with grey 32 along edge of lower cheeks.
7. splatters with brown 62, beige 103, grey 79.
8. scuffs brown and white caran dache pencil.
9. scuffs by kill stripes layer with black 33 and brown 62 with white spirit.

I thought i would document the process again as i try to improve on the last one. I've planned a couple of tweaks to the techniques and colours. The helmet has a white gel coat which will be scratched back to in certain areas, a thin grey primer coat and the first layer, the light grey Humbrol 147, which is actually blue/green/grey...

1. thin coat of grey primer
2. light grey base coat 147

tip: reference pictures used from 'Boba Fett at the Art of Star Wars Exhibit', courtesy of TDH...

View attachment 16114
Did you thin the Light grey coat 1:1? and also the others colors as progressed?

I think the paint is thinned between 1 part paint and 0.5 to 1 part thinners depending on airbrush, compressor and temperature. Best to experiment with your equipment first to achieve best results...

I think the paint is thinned between 1 part paint and 0.5 to 1 part thinners depending on airbrush, compressor and temperature. Best to experiment with your equipment first to achieve best results...
Thanks as I have found out for my air brush and the Humbrol Enamels I am using its about 1 part Humbrol thinner.

The white is a mixture of white spirit and Humbrol white enamel, painted topically in layers to achieve the right effect. I also used a white water soluble pencil in areas to add extra detail...

41. mask entire helmet except mandibles and trim, airbrush silver no.11.
42. liquid mask silver damage on mandibles and trim, airbrush grey no.27.
43. remove liquid mask, liquid mask silver and grey damage on mandibles and trim. (outline with white pencil)

tip: lift masking tape on dome etc to match damage between different sections...
Remove liquid mask when paint is touch dry, approx. 3-4 hours...

View attachment 17222
Are you freehanding all the damage? Or stencil?

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back