My ESB Boba Fett helmet paint job

I've been doing some tests on scrap plastic, to practice the liquid masking process, and determine the road that suits me better for the paint job.
I'll take a mostly layered approach, and then paint the fine details afterwards.
I also decided to go with a colder color scheme for my ESB Fett.

paiint_test copy.jpg

I finally managed to work on the top dome! I tackled this part first, because it seemed like one of the hardest.
I first applied the liquid frisket by Windsor & Newton with a silicone brush.
At the time of masking, I relied too much on the stencils and did not have a pic of the finished helmet. But no worries, I'll detail the scratches a little more and cover the extra ones on the next layer. (y)

dome_frisket_mask copy.jpg

After spraying the second coat of paint, I removed the mask while the paint was still a little wet. To avoid a crackled look.

dome_frisket_mask_remove copy.jpg

And voilá ! Here is the result of the second coat on the dome.
I'm very pleased with the result. I'll detail the paint work at the end of the process by hand.

Next up: the matte greenish-gray coat.
Cheers!

dome_1st_coat_paint_A.jpg
ç

Last edited:
I now applied the 3rd layer and fixed most of the mistakes I made on the last coat.
Of course, I'll put the fine details in by hand, but I'm quite happy with the result, so far.

One other thing I did was that I sanded the scratches in the direction they were "made" from Boba´s wear and tear.

Now, on to the cheeks.

3_layers_AS_29_weather_B.jpg

3_layers_AS_29_weather_C.jpg

Awesome!
Love the green color!
What approximation color green did you arrive at?
Or, what was your base and started from there?
Glad you like it! I used a combination of various colors... I first started with Tamiya AS 32, then misted some Rustoleum Spruce Green and finished by misting Tamiya AS 25. But, I have the feeling that it was the Tamiya AS 25 that really drove home the whole look.

I had to let each coat cure for a couple of days, in order to avoid any unwanted, weird effects.

Glad you like it! I used a combination of various colors... I first started with Tamiya AS 32, then misted some Rustoleum Spruce Green and finished by misting Tamiya AS 25. But, I have the feeling that it was the Tamiya AS 25 that really drove home the whole look.

I had to let each coat cure for a couple of days, in order to avoid any unwanted, weird effects.
Interesting choice of the AS32 to start with. I'd have never thought of that. Going from Spruce and lightening it up a bit with the 25 totally makes sense to me though.
I learned about "color distancing" in art college, and it really had an impact on how I view or decide what colors to use when I paint, well, anything.
Master Replicas' scaled Fett helmet had this same kind of alternate green, that looked like it was purposefully made to look like the actual helm would look from a distance.
I just love that shade, and yours is very similar.
It's almost like, how we see the helmet on screen, is the result of cameras being potentially 20-30ft away, under various lighting, etc., and can make it look like that sometimes.
I can't wait to see this complete with any further weathering, or anything you're planning on?
My Don Post Deluxe is looking rather "stock" now. lol : )

Interesting choice of the AS32 to start with. I'd have never thought of that. Going from Spruce and lightening it up a bit with the 25 totally makes sense to me though.
I learned about "color distancing" in art college, and it really had an impact on how I view or decide what colors to use when I paint, well, anything.
Master Replicas' scaled Fett helmet had this same kind of alternate green, that looked like it was purposefully made to look like the actual helm would look from a distance.
I just love that shade, and yours is very similar.
It's almost like, how we see the helmet on screen, is the result of cameras being potentially 20-30ft away, under various lighting, etc., and can make it look like that sometimes.
I can't wait to see this complete with any further weathering, or anything you're planning on?
My Don Post Deluxe is looking rather "stock" now. lol : )
I looked at tons of references, in search of the tone that made more sense to my eye. Had to eyeball it in the end, since I could not find a paint that matched the green I was looking for. Hope this thread is insightful in that regard. (y)

Just finished the main paint on the neck and reinstalled the visor.
Here are some pics of the overall main paint.

ESB_boba_paint_almost_B copy.jpg

ESB_boba_paint_almost_E copy.jpg

ESB_boba_paint_almost_C copy.jpg

I like that the weathering looks very mean and vicious on close up.
ESB_boba_paint_almost_D copy.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back