How many lines are there on the shoulders of the vest?

There is a pic of Don Bies without the helmet (RotJ:SE) , but he's wearing the rest of the armor including the shoulder bells.

dbies.jpg

There is another picture of Mark Austin without his helmet (ANH:SE), but again the shoulder bells are in place (although on the wrong shoulders :rolleyes).

maustin.jpg

If there is another pic of any of the actors without shoulder bells on, someone please post it.

To my knowledge, I don't believe I have seen any circulated photos of the vest without the shoulder bell(s) attached. I really hope there is one out there, because it would also show in greater detail the attachment point.

Here's my take after studying these pictures for the past two hours.

TDH_flak_FRONT.jpg

The red line in the inset and main picture are meant to reflect the same point from different angles. One row in and you should be about center.

The green line is where the stitch on the shoulder part of the vest is which should also be a center point.

Oddly, this leaves me with 8 as the middle row so counting back down you add another 7 rows and get 15 total:

TDH_sleeve_lines.jpg

That didn't seem right to me; 14 would have made more sense.

So I checked the other sleeve and counted to 14:

TDH_rightunderfront.jpg

Then I checked the other side, had to do some interpreting as to where the one picture left off and the next began and, based on where the hose thingy met up with the rows, I figured it was about in the middle of rows 10 and 11 so I continued my count from there.

TDH_rightunderback.jpg

And came up with 15 again which is what I plan to base my pattern on; if it doesn't work out and 14 is easier I may do that instead. I'd make the two rows on the ends a little bigger so they go to a point.

I may well be off -- this is just my interpretation of the hugely obstructed reference shots available.

I do think 14 would be closer to correct than twenty. Twenty seems like way too many.

Cheers!
TJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Ego wrote:

I can't find my ref CD here at home but . . . what is the possibility of it being a different vest on ESB than it was on the ROTJ suits?

Looks about the same to me:

TDH_ESB_lines.jpg

As this is a side-on center shot of the ESB vest with seven rows showing, I think it's fairly safe to assume there would be the same number of rows obstructed by the armor on each side. My guess is four on each side for a total of 15.

Cheers!
TJ

BF, that is one of the pics I was thinking of. I could swear there was another one that was a litle closer and showed just Mark Austin, from the side. I remember that photo being used to show the weathering on the bottom of the legs. I can't find it though.

FINALLY! Someone else who came up with fifteen! I kept trying to make fourteen work, but it wasn't long enough, so that is why I started rechecking the pics. Doing the math, I kept coming up with fifteen.

The combination I came up with was thirteen 5/8" sections with one 1" triangular wedge on each end. Total number: fifteen.

Awesome overlay work, jeezycreezy, awesome work. (y)

Thank goodness for that. I've been doing 14 lines of stitching (15 sections). Such a relief to find out that's (currently) the accepted number.

Unfortunately the first one I did (Mine) only has 13 lines of stitching/14 sections.

:facepalm

Si

Awesome overlay work, jeezycreezy, awesome work. (y)

Thanks! :)

Anyone who knows me from bikerscout.net will know that I always back up my postulations with photographic evidence. (It makes it that much harder for anyone to argue with me.) :)

So, is 15 the "definitive" answer to the question posed in the title?

Cheers!
TJ

I am going with 15 on mine. I should have it back hopefully by the end of the month, so we can do some more overlays then (with and without my shoulder bells attached) and see how it compares.

OHHHHH boy! Thanx a ton everybody, & especially Boba Fettish & Jezzycreezy! "Dad....don't call me jezzy crezzy,...I told you! :lol:" I know everybody has been debating this for some time, and its great that there is finally some agreement. I marked in 20 lines on my new vest, & I could fit them, but they seemed so close that it didn't look accurate at all. I shouild have stayed w/ my original 14! :lol: Anyway, thats what I'm gonna do, 15 fits, but for a smaller guy like myself, 14 fits perfectly. If I go w/ an odd # I half to use math! :( thanx so much to everyone who contributed t this thread! :)

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back