HIC Man Cave Door Project

Jimbo

Hunter
Hey all, wife bought me a HIC fiberglass mold for my birthday. I'm going to go with a HIC Man Cave Door. Actually a door in the man cave to the game closet. I've just started a few activities whilst I'm waiting for the molds to show up. I ordered and received a light kit. I 3D printed the control panel, and started trimming a new door. I'll grab some photos and update the progress. Any lessons learned?, please send my way.

In this photo, I've already attached the trim to the door. Countersunk screws, filled in the screw holes and joints with putty. I also hit it with the sander to ensure it has a smooth look and feel.
full length door.jpg

So my take on this project is going to be a wee bit different from the traditional HIC projects. I'm adding one panel with lights to the top right of the door. For the: That's cool! factor. Incorporating the control box into the trim to reduce the landscape taken by the control panel

I went ahead and angled the cuts so the panel will point down at a 30 degree angle. There should be enough room behind the control panel for the wiring and battery.

Although I was thinking about drilling a small hole through the door, behind the control panel and attaching a USB battery pack to the other side of the door. Perhaps via velcro. Then I can just quick connect the battery and not touch the panel. Any thoughts?

I filled in the brad nail holes and joints on the control box. I'll sand it tonight and glue/screw it down to the door as well.

another view door and pannel.jpg

I love that idea of the control panel! I wonder if filling that area in on the top so it's even across the door frame with the control panel would make it look more even with the rest of the frame?

I love that idea of the control panel! I wonder if filling that area in on the top so it's even across the door frame with the control panel would make it look more even with the rest of the frame?
Great suggestion..... I ripped another board and put it in place. Applied some putty and sanded it once. Will need one more pass to finish it out. Thanks again.

Han Solo showed up today in the mail.

What did I do? Of course I had to unpack him, and stage him.

Control box is coming a long. I added some black weathering to the front panel last night. I have a full set up from Fettronics all wired up and and ready to go. I need to finish up the green box area on the far right.

The control box is attached by magnets. I'm thinking I'll add a strip of velcro inside just incase the kids slam the door. That way if it comes lose it will be held in place by the velcro. I also decided to drill a hole through the door so I can run the power cable through it. I plan on adding a battery to the back of the door.

I have already trimmed the left and right side a wee bit so it now fits inside the trim.

I think the next important task is to mount the door before I really start in on Han.
Snag_9c73dc0f.png
Snag_9c7a167b.png

Okay... Been away from Han doing Spring Cleaning. But I did manage to sneak down to the garage and finish up the Control Box. I used the Fettronics Kit to make all the magic happen. Had to snap a picture for proof of progress. I also did some test fitting of the door. I need to take off an 1/8 down the side of the door so it can seat itself better in the door frame. Already touted out as much as I could on the hinges to help the door fit. I have CrossFit Tourney this weekend plus more mulch.... so it may be a little longer before notable changes are seen.
Snag_1eee126d.png

Han Solo showed up today in the mail.

What did I do? Of course I had to unpack him, and stage him.

Control box is coming a long. I added some black weathering to the front panel last night. I have a full set up from Fettronics all wired up and and ready to go. I need to finish up the green box area on the far right.

The control box is attached by magnets. I'm thinking I'll add a strip of velcro inside just incase the kids slam the door. That way if it comes lose it will be held in place by the velcro. I also decided to drill a hole through the door so I can run the power cable through it. I plan on adding a battery to the back of the door.

I have already trimmed the left and right side a wee bit so it now fits inside the trim.

I think the next important task is to mount the door before I really start in on Han.
View attachment 209785View attachment 209787
Can i ask where you picked the mold? I would love to order one and do what you are doing to the man cave, this is such a brilliant idea.

Can i ask where you picked the mold? I would love to order one and do what you are doing to the man cave, this is such a brilliant idea.
Greetings partner.... I ended up purchasing mine off of ebay. I missed that there is someone on the forum, King Jawa who might also make them.
I'll take a photo later, but in brief, I'm replacing a door to the game closet. I will then position my ROTJ next to it. :)

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back