Han Solo in Carbonite ManCave Door

Tfett40

Active Hunter
I think every Boba Fett needs a Han in Carbonite in their house. Unfortunately, I do not have the room to display a full size HIC. Over the last year, I have been looking at tutorials and builds when I came across this:
30.jpg


Han in Carbonite Door. Not sure who the credit goes to, but it will fit perfectly on my mancave/office door, without taking up alot of space.

Total Cost of Build:
KingJawa Han Solo In Carbonite Cast: $280
Pre-Hung 32x80 Door: $70
2 1/2 Pine Lattice: $24.30
Wood Screws: $5
Metal Entry Door Cover: $6.00
Metal Door Pull: $3.50
Joint Compound: $8.00
Quick Dry Spackling: $5.00
Sanding Blocks (2): $6
Rustoluem Primer: $4.00 x 3=$12.00
16oz Elmers Sandable/Paintable Wood Glue: $5.50
Gorilla Glue Epoxy: $6
TiteBond Wood Glue: $5
3 cans of Tamiya Gun Metal (Boarder) $18
5 cans of Tamiya Light Gun Metal (HIC) $30
3 cans of Tamiya Clear Glossy Coat $18
(1 can boarder, 1 can HIC, 1 can both)
Arcylic Paint/Brushes/Dish soap-already had.
Man Hours (Lowes/Home Depot/Hobby Store Runs, build, paint-NOT including time to dry): Approx 25 hours.
Started Aug 19. Ended Sept 09.
Total Cost: $502.30 give or take.




Because my door was going to be slightly smaller than the original, I opted for KingJawa's cast that was cut and came in pieces, which would make it easier to fit my needs.
I contacted KingJawa and got my Han within 2 weeks.

1.jpg

2.jpg


The cast is a bit rough, requires some dremeling, light sanding and bondo. But overall, I am pleased with it.

Next task, go out and buy a smooth door and 2 1/2 inch lattice pine molding to use as the panel edges:
3.jpg


I also picked up this door hole filler plate. I will not use a door knob and will opt for handle.
4.jpg

5.jpg



On to cutting the pine to fit the frame, wood glue, screws and clamps to secure with panel edges:
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg



On to the placement of Han. King Jawa's cast came foam filled and it was not done precisely. The foam, required trimming that was not as fun as it sounds in order for the cast to lay flat.
9.jpg


In order to secure Han onto the door, I used a combination or epoxy, wood glue and screws. It was not pretty, but it worked. You only need glue/epoxy where the mold and foam
backing makes contact with door.
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tfett40

Active Hunter
In order to start applying the texture. I went with a recommended mix of half joint compound and quick dry spackling.
0acfd5f4b0dfb528ed8aa0192615baa8.jpg
7856b39000a0a726f5353335f6a59c55.jpg
c4e8e20422344abf2024db27bec1e2d1.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 

Tfett40

Active Hunter
KingJawas mold needed some light sanding and clean up to smooth parts out. One of the areas I really cleaned up was the webbing between the fingers.
1c176855df90a52edd479d8692911813.jpg
59c04d22371088af19ff7c3e50d6cac9.jpg
18d32fa7d45d73714909664bd854a934.jpg


I Dremel to my preference to have a cleaner visual of Han's hands


Sent from my iPhone
 

Tfett40

Active Hunter
Once the first layer of texture dried. I took to sanding for a smoother textured finish.
c4c07822e9db968e9f5f0430ac7ea236.jpg
95e1974e4af59a26ffa3ca13f7128f0b.jpg
abbf16a4d8d10725ba2a82851b78c741.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tfett40

Active Hunter
The seams between the neck/chest and hip/legs needed to filled with bondo. One stubborn area, kept cracking. I finally resolved the issue by using sandable wood glue to get a good bond. The hip/torso area was a pretty tight fit, so the joint compound mix was enough to do the trick.
7f0ff14fbdca7d551184840d7822a15f.jpg
f91e213065741b34b49875250edec2bc.jpg
ec5401bf53a960233f442819d07ce018.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Furious

Active Hunter
This kinda reminds me of the guy that did this to a Refrigerator on Adam Savages site. His was shorter as well so he had to make adjustments

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Zon

Hunter
I got KingJawas HIC cast as well and ran into the same issues. I put mine on a piece of plywood and attached hooks on it to hang it over my door (like a towel rack). This is WAY nicer though. If I ever get around to it I will most likely steal your idea and put more time into it. Look great!
 

Tfett40

Active Hunter
Progress is moving along.


I finished up the last of Han's hands using thin and flexiable sanding sticks found at Hobby Lobby.
7b21b8ebb45a5288f3c9f110664bcad2.jpg
08f00339d672338683e05785c7a7adc2.jpg


Next, I added the last layer of texture. I used wood glue to help give me the frozen liquid look as seen in the reference images.
926cd13a9a0ce590c679d6ce83effd84.jpg


I layed down the glue in the pattern I wanted and spread it thin. I did this in a overlay pattern, allowing sections to dry before layering again
.
77fc71535c3234af059bbfb3b1f945df.jpg
eeca9ca2871f79a97b63a81eb2002941.jpg

I am pretty pleased with the outcome. Tommorrow, the painting begins!!!



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LostDreams

Jr Hunter
This is an amazing idea!! Makes me want to do that for my office; but the funny guy side of me would put a Peter Griffin on the inside! that butt would make a good door stopper there :lol: !! Edit: Sorry to deviate away from your post! You're doing an outstanding job!! Can't wait to see more pictures!!

peter-griffin-in-carbonite-4582_preview.gif
 

Tfett40

Active Hunter
First layer of primer has been applied. I have opted to use Rustoleum Satin Granite-paint + primer


Sent from my iPhone
 

Tfett40

Active Hunter
fe673c61c54f7ebfaadf0c99fb8fa4d8.jpg

1 can covered most of it. I let it dry an hour before hitting it with the second can.
33f95c15b4d65686e53b6dffca43c8a9.jpg


2nd coat of primer
599dc7f74d7d44836c07b2773f26150b.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top