Helmet Flare?

A week ago I redid the dome of my helmet but cutting, scoring adding spacers and re glassing. Tonight I scored the interior front of my helmet, cut four vertical slices up the back and screwed in a temporary wedge into the bottom to get a wider bottom flare. I then re-fiberglassed those sections. Here is a before and after. I will have to bondo and repaint the back, but I think it looks way better. This is not done. I do believe the ESB screene helmet suffered damage or warping. Camera angles or lenses causing that look makes no sense. With more scoring I could have gone wider. I may take another stab at it..

Attachments

• ImprovedFlare.JPG
    ImprovedFlare.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 240
  • Original.JPG
    Original.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Thanks, Zemzero. I've done a lot of work with fiberglass. Oddly enough, my T visor now fits better. I played with the wooden wedge some more. I could add a quarter inch to the bottom width, but the face gets too flat. I always thought Fett's face in TESB looked flatter (as my helmet now does), but trusted that the props I saw were "correct." If I did and ROTJ version, I would not have the flare.

Last edited:
If you can touch your helmet when taking the picture youre too close to be taking a picture. The closer you take a picture of the helmet the less its going to appear to have that wideness to it.
In your "original" picture your TVisor area is pinched like a Master Replicas (not as drastic).

On a side note are your right ears gold?

Yes I was close to the helmet, and it looks odd, but it was almost 90 degrees vertical on both sides. I do like the wider bottom. Yes, my ear is gold. Untill the dented helment came along I thought it was gold. I built my first helmet in 1993. Always had a gold right ears on my later builds . I keep the ear gold because I like it gold. It will lose its sheen when I weather and dull coat. I may redo it someday. My dome is too rounded too. I may redo the whole damn thing.

Last edited:
It could just be that's the way the light has caught it.

The blackest interiors are the PP2 and PP3 but I'm not sure that really means anything.

Hard to say.... But logically... no. Unless they painted it black and re did all the visor hardware and the MQ1. Know what I mean? All the adhesive is unpainted.

Do you think that maybe 2 of the 6 helmets may have initially been painted gloss white? One dented and one not dented that might have become the PP1? Or is this the same helmet with multiple sets of ears (painted and not painted) both pre and post dent?

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.36.53 AM.png

Boba-Fett-Costume-Test-Fitting-01-2.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 11.25.23 AM.png

Boba-Fett-Supertrooper-Helmet-02.jpg

Raf,

The interior of the ST helmet appears to have been painted black, but the ROTJ hero appears to still be raw inside. Thoughts?

- Steven

View attachment 190205

View attachment 190206

View attachment 190207

Here are all the known white helmets:
Helmet #1 - Supertrooper (later converted to the Pre-Pro #1 v1 than to v2) - dark interior
Boba-Fett-Costume-Test-Fitting-11.jpg Boba-Fett-Costume-Screen-Test-Screencap-03.jpg Boba-Fett-First-Prototype-Helmet-04.jpg

Helmet #2 - Boba Fett white (note that the 1st and the 2nd image is from the same time period with 4 unfinished helmets in the background - this might have been converted to the Pre-Pro #3) - dark interior
Supertrooper Helmet Fit.jpg fettlidsraw.jpg fettstormie.jpg Boba-Fett-Costume-Test-Fitting-13.jpg Boba-Fett-Third-Prototype-Helmet-019.jpg
(sorry Keegan, but I don't think this helmet was converted to the Pre-Pro #2)

Helmet #3 - Boba Fett white (this might have been converted to the ROTJ) - no dark interor?
Boba-Fett-Supertrooper-Helmet-02.jpg Supertrooper And ROTJ Compare.png

So, since we got our hands on a direct cast (the eFX PCR helmet):

Did anyone ever compare the helmets in terms of the flare? Yes, Wasted Fett wrote a very good review of the efx bucket and compared the paint and features etc to FPH2 and Hasbro, but he wrote nothing about the flare.

So was anyone able to see a difference (regarding the flare) between efx and FPH2 for example?
And what about RafalFetts 3D helmet? Does it have the flare?

In additon to the Supertropper/ PP1;
All 3 tour helmets were painted gloss white.
2 are white on the inside.
1, the PP2 was painted black inside.
RafalFett, the pictures you have tied to the PP3 arent all the same white helmet IIRC.
The link to the PP2 can be found.

Something else... I have noticed on the ESB helmet that the eye slot is a little wider near the front middle on the (wearer's) right side. I inadvertently got that on my helmet when I scored it and re-glassed it. I think that gives great support to it having been damaged. It is more obvious in a straight on photo. I need to flatten my dome...

Attachments

• Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-03.jpg
    Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-03.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 112
  • ImprovedFlare.JPG
    ImprovedFlare.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back