Elstree Precision Co Ltd Hero Metal Ears Project

boba87fett

Active Hunter
Hi everyone,

After the launch of the MFHero helmet, it became evident that we were going to need a new set of metal ears. I reached out to someone with a history of making metal ears for Boba Fett helmets on April 2nd.

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 11.05.27 PM.png

I wanted to offer something special to the TDH community because of the hero helmets becoming available to us. So, I found and contacted Elstree Precision Co Ltd in the UK - the creators of the original metal ears from the original Boba Fett helmets.

Not only is Elstree still in business, but they are in the same building and several individuals that worked on the original Boba Fett ears more than 40 years ago still work there. They also made the original gauntlet rocket and some other components – more to come on that in the future.

"If you compare the photo below (taken around the time of the making of the films) with a current Google Street View, not much has changed. The gentleman that made the actual parts you mention still works with us, as too does another member of staff."

unnamed.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 8.49.21 PM.png

John Haigh, the Managing Director has agreed to make us a limited edition run of metal ears for the ESB Hero helmets now available.

I am still in need of some measurements and 3d models to provide Elstree to make sure the ears are as accurate as possible. I have reached out to RafalFett in hopes that he would be willing to help make this happen.

MinuteFett provided a hero helmet to test fit the ears to. The standalone Elstree Hero Metal Ears Kits will be made available to everyone in the Cargo Hold at a later date.

-Steven

Attachments

• Boba-Fett-Costume-Documentation-Helmet.jpg
    Boba-Fett-Costume-Documentation-Helmet.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 364
Last edited:
I would generally refrain from posting on the thread of a "competitor". But given that you tagged me and mentioned me by name, I'll toss in my $.02 as I'm sure this will stir up some attention.

Unaware that Dakota had future plans to make metal ears for the hero helmets, I reached out to someone with a history of making metal ears for Boba Fett helmets.

A history? They made them once. Over 40 years ago. But I digress.

John Haigh, the Managing Director has agreed to make us a limited edition run of metal ears for the ESB Hero helmets now available. The final details and time frame for production and shipping are being negotiated, but I need to get an idea of how many sets to order. The goal is to make these as affordable for as many people as possible.

So are they a limited edition, or are you ordering however many sets people want? This just seems like it's trying to take advantage of FOMO.

So, why am I making this announcement now? When Dakota launched his MCR Hero Metal Ears thread recently, I knew I had to say something sooner than later. I want to make sure that Dakota and everyone interested in metal ears for the hero helmets knows about this sooner than later, so that everyone can make decisions knowing what is coming soon.

We made our announcement when we figured out we were about 2 weeks away from having prototypes. You made this announcement having nothing to show for it other than an agreement with Elstree it seems. It seems like the point of this is more to take away interest from our product. But i'm listening. Go on..

Dakota, you know I love your stuff (I have almost all of it) and I know you will make an amazing product with crazy attention to detail.

I'm not sure how to respond to this. I can't help but think this might just be a gas-lighting attempt, but do you really think a company that hasn't produced something in 40 years can compete with what we're making when they don't even have the measurements and references we do? Oof..

I am still in need of some measurements and 3d models to provide Elstree to make sure the ears are as accurate as possible. I have reached out to RafalFett in hopes that he would be willing to help make this happen.

This is truly the icing on the cake. For the record, Rafalfett is incredibly talented and does great work, but there is simply no way to recreate these with the amount of details in them without having hard data and measurements. Thankfully, now that we know there is a possibility of competition, we will adjust how we release ours to avoid imitation of some of these features.

Also, you left out the part where you approached Keegan last night for the drawings our project is using. That alone should tell everyone what they need to know.

If you are interested, please comment below and I will add you to the interest list. I can’t guarantee that these will be made again in the future

FOMO approaching maximum velocity.

and I hope to have some authenticity certificates made up to go with them from Elstree.

The only thing "Authentic" would be that these are produced at Elstree. Sounds like an expensive certificate.

I am hoping to have these done within the next 2-3 months, but also as soon as possible once we have the quality I am looking for.

2-3 months and you don't even have finalized drawings yet? You are in for a rude awakening I'm afraid... That is about all I am going to say on the matter.

The truth of the matter is this is an offering being made by someone who has never overseen production of metal parts, to be made by someone who doesn't have actual measurements, and setting a price without having drawings (immediately after getting denied our drawings), let alone a prototype in the works. To Steven and anyone who decides to buy into the hollow promise that this post represents -- I genuinely wish you the best of luck. You will need it.

Dakota

Last edited:
I guess I was pretty optimistic when I thought that you would think it was a cool idea too, as someone passionate about machined parts. I didn't think it would cause that kind of response or really be taking enough profit out of your pocket to be too upsetting to you.

This is a hobby for many of us and I think the more options, at more price points, the better. My hope is that there is a place for both a highly precise, top price set of premium ears (yours) and a quality set of ears with ties to the original maker (Elstree Ears).

Do I think that these guys will make ears as precise as yours with all the lessons you've learned from making them, after not making them for 40 years? No.

Do I think Elstree will do a good job? Based on how passionate John is and his desire to make these for his helmet too, I am confident that a company that has been machining since 1961 should be able to produce quality machined parts. Especially since the guy that made the originals still works for Esltree. Knowing that RafalFett is a true Boba Fett expert and that he has agreed to provide the 3d models for Elstree gives me more hope that these will be a great addition to my collection. Yes, I did reach out to Keegan and we had a great conversation. I asked if he was willing to share any information and he respectfully declined and stated that he had provided his drawings to MCR - super respectable and stand up. We also have additional resources that will be shared in the future :)

My understanding is that TDH is here to drive us to collaborate together in order to discover and offer the community more cool Fett history and items. The more, the merrier.

I tagged you to be upfront and address it all in the open if you had any concerns. I think we can do better as a community on TDH to not have passive aggressive fueds, so I appreciate that we are having an open and respectful conversation.

This is a hobby for me. I want to cover the cost and Elstree gave me a number. Once I am confident that we can cover the cost, I am hopeful that the number will come down even more. Ideally, I would like to see metal ears at less than $400, but I don't know how possible that is. My goal is to find out and report back. I do appreciate your well wishes and I am sure I will need them.

I think this is something that at least some TDH folks would be interested in owning. John will make us 2 sets if that's all I ask for - so I'm not too concerned with how many are sold. I just know that I like the idea of adding a set of Elstree Ears to my hero helmet and as someone on TDH interested in metal ears, I would want to know about both options before committing to one, the other or both. Who knows, someone could even offer a third set of metal ears at some point.

I don't know what a FOMO is or how it approaches full velocity and this firefighter isn't looking to make gas explosions lol. They've agreed to make as many as we want, but it doesn't sound like they necessarily want to make more in the future - so at this point it appears to be a limited, one time thing?

Like I said, I appreciate all that you do and I know your ears will be precise and top notch. That's why I have purchased nearly almost every single part you offer. Machine Craft is known for it's quality and if people want the absolute best, top notch ears they should check out your thread. This offering is for metal ears by Elstree, based on 3d files by Raf and potentially some other resources to fit the hero helmets and hopefully at more affordable price.

I truly am sorry if that is upsetting to you man. I hope that others on TDH like the option being brought to community.

-Steven

Last edited:
I guess I was pretty optimistic when I thought that you would think it was a cool idea too, as someone passionate about machined parts. I didn't think it would cause that kind of response or really be taking enough profit out of your pocket to be too upsetting to you.

This is a hobby for many of us and I think the more options, at more price points, the better. My hope is that there is a place for both a highly precise, top price set of premium ears (yours) and a quality set of ears with ties to the original maker (Elstree Ears).

If my reaction was any concern to you, you would have reached out to me before you posted anything, and/or you would have been more clear about these intentions in your original post - but you weren't. If we operated the way metal part vendors of the past did, this wouldn't affect us because those vendors did everything in runs. We buy all of our stock up front so that the community can order and have things in days or weeks, not months, and can buy things when it is right for them. If your hope was truly to provide just a 'quality' set of ears and not to appeal to the accuracy crowd, then you wouldn't have tried to poach our source of information yesterday evening, would you? So please, don't backpeddle just because you have been caught being scummy.

Do I think that these guys will make ears as precise as yours with all the lessons you've learned from making them, after not making them for 40 years? No.

Nothing about your original post matches this sentiment.

Do I think Elstree will do a good job? Based on how passionate John is and his desire to make these for his helmet too, I am confident that a company that has been machining since 1961 should be able to produce quality machined parts. Especially since the guy that made the originals still works for Esltree. Knowing that RafalFett is a true Boba Fett expert and that he has agreed to provide the 3d models for Elstree gives me more hope that these will be a great addition to my collection.

I'm going to reiterate that while I think Rafalfett is incredibly sharp and talented, you will not be able to achieve the kind of precision to make these worthy of being called "Hero" ears. At best these will be "Hero-sized (minus 4 generations of castings) ears." The original machinist being at Elstree is of little importance after 40+ years. He won't remember all the details at the project, let alone be working on the same machine that produced the original ears.

My understanding is that TDH is here to drive us to collaborate together in order to discover and offer the community more cool Fett history and items. The more, the merrier.

Per thedentedhelmet.com's home page. THE DENTED HELMET IS A MAKER COMMUNITY HELPING FANS LIKE YOU BUILD AND COLLECT MOVIE-ACCURATE STAR WARS COSTUMES AND PROPS. I do not see the part where it mentions trying to undermine someone else's project by attempting to poach their information. YOU came into MY thread, knowing that you "Had this in the works for a long time" and pretended to be just another customer, and used the information in MY thread to reach out to Keegan and try to get information vital to our project. For those that wonder why we make claims to measurements but never share the source - this is exactly why. It is not because we think we're the only ones who deserve to have the information. It's because someone will inevitably come behind us, steal work that we did, and offer it at a slightly lower cost than our products. If the TDH community supported that kind of thing eventually all of the makers actually doing the work necessary to offer new products would disappear.

Furthermore, you don't get to stand behind the "pro-community" flag as if we aren't. The issue isn't that you want to bring a product to life. The issue is that you have nothing to show for it other than "Dakota made an announcement so I thought I had to," totally disregarding the fact you have no concrete numbers or measurements. Call this what it is at this point: A pipe dream.

I tagged you to be upfront and address it all in the open if you had any concerns. I think we can do better as a community on TDH to not have passive aggressive fueds, so I appreciate that we are having an open and respectful conversation.

This is a hobby for me. I want to cover the cost and Elstree gave me a number. Once I am confident that we can cover the cost, I am hopeful that the number will come down even more. Ideally, I would like to see metal ears at less than $400, but I don't know how possible that is. My goal is to find out and report back. I do appreciate your well wishes and I am sure I will need them.

You don't know how possible that is because you're working with little to no information. I don't know a single machinist (and I have worked with a lot of them) that will provide a quote without drawings, which you admitted you don't have. The number you put out is conveniently located right in range of what we said our ears would cost, which makes it evident this has been rushed because you wanted to try and capture the attention of people who would purchase the MachineCraft Hero Ears in a "WAIT! BEFORE YOU BUY THOSE!" kind of way.

Nothing in your original post mentioned $400. This is also the exact cost of our FPH2 ear offering which surely is just a coincidence, right? $550 is grossly overpriced for something that is 'good' quality, but ultimately TDH will have the final say in that.

I think this is something that at least some TDH folks would be interested in owning. John will make us 2 sets if that's all I ask for - so I'm not too concerned with how many are sold. I just know that I like the idea of adding a set of Elstree Ears to my hero helmet and as someone on TDH interested in metal ears, I would want to know about both options before committing to one, the other or both. Who knows, someone could even offer a third set of metal ears at some point.

By that train of thought, if you send a Black Series Boba helmet to Pinewood and have them mould and cast it, isn't it still a Black Series helmet? Would you rather own that or the 'Hero' helmet you have now? This is a very weak position.

I don't know what a FOMO is or how it approaches full velocity and this firefighter isn't looking to make gas explosions lol. They've agreed to make as many as we want, but it doesn't sound like they necessarily want to make more in the future - so at this point it appears to be a limited, one time thing?

There is not a single machinist in the history of machinists that takes on a project to do it as a 'one time thing'. The only way machinists make money is to do continuous and/or large runs. Despite what you want the community believe, there is no way the shop agreed to take on this project and said "Ok, but just this once!" The same way that MinuteFett is offering a 'limited' run of 5 helmets is complete and utter ********. You, and he for that matter, are using FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) as a way to command higher prices for items that you will continue to offer in the future. I will admit that when we sold our FPH2 ears we sold them as 'likely the only' run. And that was solely because I didn't think we could hit the high quantity we needed to run them twice (We didn't, in fact, but I paid for that 2nd run out of pocket so that the few people who didn't get in on the first run could have a set. Funnily enough, you were one of those individuals).

Like I said, I appreciate all that you do and I know you ears will be precise and top notch. That's why I have purchased nearly almost every single part you offer. Machine Craft is known for it's quality and if people want the absolute best, top notch ears they should check out your thread. This offering is for metal ears by Elstree, based on 3d files by Raf and potentially some other resources to fit the hero helmets and hopefully at more affordable price.

Other resources being a "Hero (Minus 3-4 Generations)" helmet that MinuteFett has? Or the set of FPH2 Ears you purchased from me back in January? While I do genuinely appreciate the business, you having our pieces does not bode well given the circumstances. Your methods certainly make me feel very appreciated. /s

I truly am sorry if that is upsetting to you man. I hope that others on TDH like the option being brought to community.

-Steven

The day TDH as a whole rallies behind something like this, given the evidence provided, is the day that I leave the community. That is not a threat nor meant to be received as one. I simply will not dedicate my time and efforts to a community that would stand for the tactics deployed by you in this thread and behind the scenes. I am not going to drop any sympathy cards, and I am not going to tell you that I have made zero money since starting MachineCraft. But what I will say is if I put the time, effort, and capital that I have put into MachineCraft into ANY other business venture, it would be less work and be more profitable. The whole reason that hasn't happened is because I genuinely do love this community. What I get out of this is seeing our parts on all the Fetts out there and the occasional flattery when a high-profile person/company that approaches us for our work. Whether you see it this way or not, what you've done is an attack on me and I believe I've responded appropriately. I can only hope the community does the same.

Also, you left out the part where you approached Keegan last night for the drawings our project is using. That alone should tell everyone what they need to know.

I didn't include everyone that I have spoken to about these, just those that have agreed to help. Nor did I know that he had provided you whatever he has provided you or that it was something only you can have access to. I was told, "ask Keegan, I heard he has info" so I booted up FB messenger last night while I was waiting to hear back from others and sent him a message... we had a great conversation and he was a stand up guy saying he provided something to you and that he felt he couldn't provide it to anyone else.

There is no plot or dramatic scheme guys. It's not hard to read between the lines with forum politics. I could make more than I would make working on this project over the next couple months by picking up 2 days of overtime - I have no skin in this game for the sake of finances. My income isn't getting affected by TDH. That's the real story. I want every person here to know their options before they spend their money. If they want these, sweet. If they don't, then it's even easier to manage this project.

Whether or not anyone buys these ears or MCR ears or Mickey Mouse ears is all good. I am personally super stoked that I am going to have a set of these and I am also super stoked for anyone that wants a set of MCR ears... we have options for Hero helmets now which is fantastic. This is an awesome problem to have!

Sorry dude, not going to take the time now to respond to all of that right now. You are clearly pretty upset. Maybe another time if you seem interested in believing anything I have to say. If you can't believe what I say, then it makes no difference that I would take the time to say it.

Like I've said several times man, I love your stuff and you do a great job. I was waiting to hear back from Elstree on a final "yes" when you posted your thread and I intend to buy a set from you if Elstree doesn't come through, which is why I submitted my interest. That's all there is to it.

Updated first post to remove the list of names for anyone interested. Sales thread to come later.

Last edited:
Updated first post to remove the list of names for anyone interested. Please private message me if you are interested. A sales thread will be created in the Cargo Hold once the details are ironed out. Hoping to provide Elstree with an interest count within the next week. Thanks!!

So you literally removed just your name. Just stating this for the record when others inevitably stumble in here.

I didn't include everyone that I have spoken to about these, just those that have agreed to help. Nor did I know that he had provided you whatever he has provided you or that it was something only you can have access to. I was told, "ask Keegan, I heard he has info" so I booted up FB messenger last night while I was waiting to hear back from others and sent him a message... we had a great conversation and he was a stand up guy saying he provided something to you and that he felt he couldn't provide it to anyone else.

There is no plot or dramatic scheme guys. It's not hard to read between the lines with forum politics. I could make more than I would make working on this project over the next couple months by picking up 2 days of overtime - I have no skin in this game for the sake of finances. My income isn't getting affected by TDH. That's the real story. I want every person here to know their options before they spend their money. If they want these, sweet. If they don't, then it's even easier to manage this project.

Whether or not anyone buys these ears or MCR ears or Mickey Mouse ears is all good. I am personally super stoked that I am going to have a set of these and I am also super stoked for anyone that wants a set of MCR ears... we have options for Hero helmets now which is fantastic. This is an awesome problem to have!

He quite literally said it in my thread, and you quite literally replied to it. Do you need a screenshot to remind you? It is pretty clear you have some strings being pulled here. I am guessing the lack of overall interest is the reason you've now moved to an interest list via PM.

Sorry dude, not going to take the time now to respond to all of that right now. You are clearly pretty upset. Maybe another time if you seem interested in believing anything I have to say. If you can't believe what I say, then it makes no difference that I would take the time to say it.

I probably wouldn't either if I were you. You're clearly confusing me calling out your BS for being upset.

Like I've said several times man, I love your stuff and you do a great job. I was waiting to hear back from Elstree on a final "yes" when you posted your thread and I intend to buy a set from you if Elstree doesn't come through, which is why I submitted my interest. That's all there is to it.

No thanks. Keep your money - I don't need your business. I think we're done here.

Yes, I removed the list with only my name on it. If anyone is interested, they can let me know privately. If not, like I said I am stoked I will be getting two sets of Elstree Ears.

Also, I just looked back at your thread. Looks like I did in fact reply and like posts about Keegan. After getting crushed on the ambo all day yesterday, I didn’t remember him by name or that I had already read a post about him giving you some drawings when I initiated a FB conversation with him in bed at almost 10pm.

I casually speed read that thread while I was doing other things. Yeah, I know that doesn’t sound believable and yeah I know what it looks like, but it is what it is man and I know my intentions, motives and plans. I forget non-essential short term memory stuff when I’m sleep deprived or chasing my kids around and doing other things at the same time. I also understand that from your POV you don’t believe that or care.

I am saddened to hear that you aren’t interested in selling MCR pieces to me now, but I understand that you can make that choice. I hope that you will reconsider in the future as I would love to continue buying your work. I appreciate each item I have purchased from you and like you know, I think I have just about all of them for an ESB Boba.

-Steven

Claim: “You made an announcement without anything more than an agreement with Elstree.”
Facts:
1. Elstree: “We have our own reference sketches & time keeping books of original designs but back then, things were quite organic & open to interpretation.”
2. We have images of the Hero helmet.
3. We have a lineage ESB helmet that has been measured for ears.
4. We have a lineage PP2 set of ears that have been measured.
5. RafalFett has agreed to provide 3d modeling to support Elstree based on that information.

Claim: Elstree doesn’t “even have the measurements and references we do?”
Fact: I don’t know what you have and I don’t know exactly what Elstree has. I don’t know that it matters either though. But, I am interested in finding out what Elstree has and what they can do with what we provide them to make ears that fit the MFHero helmet.

Claim: “There is no way to recreate these with the amount of details in them without having hard data and measurements.”
Fact: Perhaps. The end products will tell a story and I am okay if yours are more accurate – I am excited these will be made by Elstree – that adds value to it for me personally.

Claim: Maximum velocity FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)
Fact: Elstree “How many sets are you thinking? 10 sets?” AlsoElstree, “I could consider adding “manufactured by Elstree Precision UK” on the reverse of some parts? What do you think?”

Accusation: Trying “to poach our source of information”
Facts:

Me: “Would you be willing to help me with a special project with Elstree Precision Co Ltd? They have agreed to make us metal ears, but I need a 3d model for them to cross reference with their original references from when they made the original metal ears to make them the most accurate that they can. Luis has agreed to fund the project for me. (…) Would you be willing to help?”

Keegan: “It sounds like a very cool idea. But I have allowed Machine Craft to use my drawings to the current run…”

Me: “Understandable. I was pretty bummed when I saw that they just announced it since I've had this in the works since April 2nd. Appreciate your integrity. I'm looking to bring this as a special edition type run. I have all of Dakota's stuff and love working with him. I want him to also know this is coming so that it doesn't blind side him or effect his run after he commits to a number. I'll message him soon.”

This made up about 10% of our conversation and we moved on to talk about other things.

Claim: “At best these will be “Hero-sized (minus 4 generations of castings) ears”
Fact: These ears will be fit to fit the MFHero helmet that we measured. That is the target we are aiming to fit because it is the hero helmet we have. Whatever generation that is, is what we want to fit.
Question: Why would I want “Hero” ears that don’t fit on the hero helmet available to me? That doesn’t make any sense. I want “Hero” ears that fit my “Hero” helmet. If ours are made to fit the MFHero and they aren’t the right size according to you, but you are making the “right size” hero ears, how would yours fit the MFHerohelmet? Are you making ears that only fit the original Hero helmet? Is that available to the people buying the MCR Hero ears? What specific helmets will your ears fit?

Claim: “The original machinist being at Elstree is of little importance after 40+ years”
Fact: To be determined.

Claim: “YOU came into MY thread, knowing that you "Had this in the works for a long time" and pretended to be just another customer, and used the information in MY thread to reach out to Keegan and try to get information vital to our project.”
Fact: My first email to Elstree was on April 2nd 2020 (20 days ago?) – that’s not “a long time.” Maybe that’s a quote you are repeating that I said somewhere. The MCR Metal Hero Ears Interest Thread appeared 4/16/20 (6 days ago). Like I posted already, I did submit my interest in case Elstree said “no” and I quickly read through parts of the thread and liked posts while doing other things. I didn’t remember Keegan from it even though I had liked posts about him and read posts about him and his drawings days earlier. I got his info from someone else outside of that thread when discussing people who had references. I got excited that night because Elstree had said “yes” and I reached out to him and others without ever revisiting your thread. I know, I know… not believable. It is what it is.

Claim: “I don't know a single machinist (and I have worked with a lot of them) that will provide a quote without drawings, which you admitted you don't have.”
Fact: You don’t know all machinists. Elstree “I won’t be doing this for profit.”

Claim: “Nothing in your original post mentioned $400. This is also the exact cost of our FPH2 ear offering which surely is just a coincidence, right?”
Fact: Elstree “Do you think $400 would work?”

Claim: “There is not a single machinist in the history of machinists that takes on a project to do it as a 'one time thing'.”
Fact: Elstree “How many sets are you thinking? 10 sets?” I do hope that they are open to working with us in the future if people want that down the road. It doesn’t benefit the community if they decide they don’t ever want to consider making us any other items - only time will tell.

Claim: “Despite what you want the community believe, there is no way the shop agreed to take on this project and said "Ok, but just this once!" The same way that MinuteFett is offering a 'limited' run of 5 helmets is complete and utter ********. You, and he for that matter, are using FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) as a way to command higher prices for items that you will continue to offer in the future”
Fact: Elstree “I’ll do every thing I can to get the price down but you have to appreciate that we are very busy and this project would be non-profit exercise.”

Claim: “Other resources being a "Hero (Minus 3-4 Generations)" helmet that MinuteFett has? Or the set of FPH2 Ears you purchased from me back in January?”
Fact: Yes regarding MF’s helmet (he can speak to it’s lineage and to what generation it is and isn’t.) And also no to the accusation of me utilizing the ears I bought from you that are on my FPH2 painted by Superjedi. I have no plans for those to come off of my helmet.

Threat that isn’t a threat: “The day TDH as a whole rallies behind something like this, given the evidence provided, is the day that I leave the community.”
Reading Between the Lines: TDH, if you show interest in the Elstree Ears I won’t sell you MCR products...?

Claim: “Whether you see it this way or not, what you've done is an attack on me and I believe I've responded appropriately.”
Fact: An attack? Who called who names? Who is making accusations? Who claims to know what the other has and doesn’t have or what a shop in the UK has and doesn’t have? Who has assumed and insulted Elstree’s abilities? Who is maintaining their demeanor and communicating respectfully?

Claim: “I am guessing the lack of overall interest is the reason you've now moved to an interest list via PM.”
Fact: No. I moved to a PM in order to protect any one that is interested so that they aren’t punished for their interest because quite frankly that is bullying and it is ridiculous. If they so wish, they will remain completely unnamed and anonymous. I anticipated potentially being banned from buying from MCR and/or other friends and vendors of MCR as your response went the way it did. I don’t want anyone to suffer the same consequences for being interested in something cool via “threats that aren’t threats” or bullying.

Consequence, Bullying, or whatever you want to call it: “No thanks. Keep your money - I don't need your business. I think we're done here.”
My Response: “I am saddened to hear that you aren’t interested in selling MCR pieces to me now, but I understand that you can make that choice. I hope that you will reconsider in the future as I would love to continue buying your work. I appreciate each item I have purchased from you and like you know, I think I have just about all of them for an ESB Boba.”

Derogatory Comment: “Don’t backpeddle because you have been caught being scummy”

To sum it up:

At the end of the day, you are a preferred vendor here and I am not. I am not even a vendor here, nor am I looking to become one. This place seems to chew up vendors and I am not here for that, I am here for fun.

I am a guy looking to share what has become an option for people that are interested in what Elstree is agreeing to and for what they are implying is a limited run. They are asking if we want 10… 10 sets.

You have let potentially 10 sets of metal ears show you to be whatever it is you are being Dakota. I think you are a good guy and I think maybe this caught you off guard, upset you and maybe even makes you wonder if it will cost you money. I wasn’t thinking you had purchased materials yet since you just started your interest thread 5 days ago… but maybe you have?

I am sure you will sell your ears regardless man - unless they don’t fit any of the later generation hero helmets that are available. That might be an issue?

This is potentially 10 sets as of now. You can still even pick up a set if you would like to. I am not angry at you and I am not interested in punishing you even if you want to punish me. I think we are better than this man.

-Steven

Sorry if the formatting is weird or things got left out - my laptop died and this is from my phone

We seem to keep going in circles, so to avoid that I won't keep singling out your responses - you simply aren't worth any more of my time. At this point it has become pretty evident you believe you are righteous in this situation and the amount of interest (or lack thereof) in this thread should tell you all you need to know. Like others, I have zero interest in this product but appreciate the sentiment. I never said anything remotely near banning people from buying MCR parts because they buy another product. People have bought competitor's products for years and I've said nothing. I simply won't sell my stuff to a competitor -- that is pretty standard fare.

Elstree's response regarding the measurements is a dodgy way of them telling you they don't have anything solid - if you or anyone else didn't pick that up somehow.

At the end of the day, you created this thread early in the process specifically and only to potentially divert sales away from us, not because you have anything to show for it. You said so in your initial post and it is very evident that is the case. Then - whether you wanted to admit it or not you went behind our back using information from our Sales Thread to try and get your hands on models vital to our project. This is very poor form, and is why you have received the response from me that you have. The fact you started working on these on the 2nd of this month is nothing. We have been working on these for well over a year, if not longer. I simply feel bad for those that think these will happen in your given timeframe, especially if or when this project gets cancelled.

Again, good luck.

Dakota

Updates:

Alright, my confidence in this project is continuing to increase!

Two days ago I thought I was going to be excommunicated from TDH for treason and was upset that I was cut off from my metal dealer, but I was really encouraged by those of you that have reached out to me.

For people reading this thread, I want you to know that even though almost no one has posted in this thread, there are a lot of good people on TDH that reached out to me in support of not only the Elstree run, but standing up to being bullied.

I also really appreciate those of you that have reached out to make this even more accurate than I could have anticipated. RafalFett sent me the updated 3d CAD file and it has been sent to Elstree. Helmets should be shipped to them soon.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 10.47.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 10.48.39 AM.png

This file plus ear platform measurements I have collected so far, coupled with the fact that the guys at Elstree wear freaking lab coats makes me smile.

ElstreeFreakingLabCoats.jpg

It looks like 8 of these ears are potentially spoken for, but Elstree said they might do up to 15 if time permits. I haven't asked for anything beyond that offer from them as of now. Hopefully when they receive the helmets we are sending them they get even more excited and share some more information with us.

Elstree believes that they will be able to have a prototype within 1 month and ears shipped to me by July 1st. Like I said, I have no idea what I am doing lol... just putting my best foot forward for a good old fashion fan run of something cool! Know that I am not 100% committed to those dates - I want to make sure we get this as right as we can.

I am also looking at including a metal print of a certificate like this one I drafted that Elstree's owner has agreed to sign. They are going to put their name on the back of some of the parts as well. I am thinking about asking them to number if it is easy enough. PM me if you have any input or ideas. I'm thinking a 2x3 metal print with an acrylic base. I think that cost is about $15 each - to me it is worth it. Thoughts?

More to come soon.

-Steven

Certificate of Authenticity.jpg

Metal Print Acrylic Base.jpg

Also, I am proactively messaging people that have helped me to ask if they are interested in case they haven’t seen or heard about this thread. It’s not a secret

I love machined parts. And to have something machined from Elstree is pretty nice especially Fett ears. I dont have a helmet or actually plan on getting one because I can only afford this or the other :(. But I do collect some Fett parts because they just look cool and would like to have them to my small collection. But depends on actual price. And I have a question also.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back