eFX Fett Helmet

There’s some fairly high detail photos of the ESB/SE helmet from exhibitions in the Media section of TDH. They’re fantastic and a real asset to any painter.

Jon Bird is a more recent addition to the RS Team. You can see more of his Fett painting skills on the Archive-X Paint Facebook group.

Right, they did offer ESB helmets until the arrival lineage casting. I imagine they aren’t offering ESB paint jobs on the lineage helmet because that would require producing a new helmet that has been cleaned up and restored to it’s appearance in 1979. Maybe they will one day.

It’s likely that photos of the original helmet were taken while EFX was studying/mounding the helmet, but if they are they haven’t been shared publicly.
Yeah, that's the only thing that bothers me, is the physical condition of the helmet had changed since being filmed for ESB, and would influence the paint job.

Art Andrews took lots of images of the ESB helmet (you can see him dancing around with the camera in the eFX video), and while he is the first to share whatever he has, I'm pretty sure there is some sort of verbal agreement to not release them to the public. A similar situation was when Master Replicas scanned the Pre-Pro #3 helmet and Jason Eaton (who also painted the first master for MR, which later was repainted by Lee Malone) took lots of images of the helmet; there was also a verbal (?) agreement to not share publicly those photos, but after Master Replicas closed its doors, Art/TDH got the thumbs up to include them in the Gallery/Media section.
ESB Casting 0013.jpg

I guess I'd be looking for best hi res pics of the original screen version of the helmet, before it incurred the future damages and over painting the prop currently has. The 4K of the film does offer some revealing details, but I was looking for maybe good controlled pictures of it.

I guess I'd be looking for best hi res pics of the original screen version of the helmet, before it incurred the future damages and over painting the prop currently has. The 4K of the film does offer some revealing details, but I was looking for maybe good controlled pictures of it.
That would be amazing but nothing like that has surfaced so far. If they exist they would be in the TDH media gallery. Photos of the ESB version of the costume are very scarce, some of the best photos have only surfaced in the last decade or so! The props of Star Wars weren’t well-documented during the production which is why high-res photos from exhibitions and 4K scans are so valuable for our hobby.

Last edited:
Art Andrews took lots of images of the ESB helmet (you can see him dancing around with the camera in the eFX video), and while he is the first to share whatever he has, I'm pretty sure there is some sort of verbal agreement to not release them to the public. A similar situation was when Master Replicas scanned the Pre-Pro #3 helmet and Jason Eaton (who also painted the first master for MR, which later was repainted by Lee Malone) took lots of images of the helmet; there was also a verbal (?) agreement to not share publicly those photos, but after Master Replicas closed its doors, Art/TDH got the thumbs up to include them in the Gallery/Media section.
View attachment 207636

Trust me... I am just waiting for the day. :)

It is always possible some yet-unknown stash of ESB era photos will turn up, but at this point, very very unlikely. Most of Lucasfilm's imagery archives were scoured years ago and most of the known sources have been questioned again and again. If anyone had anything like that, I might be Joe Johnston, but he has sold a lot of his personal possessions from that time and very little of Fett has ever come up.

In regard to the type of photos/reference, we see today... we live in unprecedented times thanks to digital cameras/media/unlimited storage. When these pieces were being created, none of that was a thing and no one was taking those types of photos. We are lucky to have what we have given what a small role Fett played.

The only downside is that 80-90% of the ESB suit was repainted or repurposed for ROTJ, or it is in poor state in the LFL Archives. What we know so far is that most of the armor plates were repainted for ROTJ, maybe except the gauntlets and the right shoulder. The jetpack is in poor state in the archives (I think Art said this a while ago), while the sidearm might be stored in better conditions. The EE-3 blaster was disassembled after filming ended and the Webley was returned to Bapty.

The only downside is that 80-90% of the ESB suit was repainted or repurposed for ROTJ, or it is in poor state in the LFL Archives. What we know so far is that most of the armor plates were repainted for ROTJ, maybe except the gauntlets and the right shoulder. The jetpack is in poor state in the archives (I think Art said this a while ago), while the sidearm might be stored in better conditions. The EE-3 blaster was disassembled after filming ended and the Webley was returned to Bapty.

Thats a shame.

It is always possible some yet-unknown stash of ESB era photos will turn up, but at this point, very very unlikely. Most of Lucasfilm's imagery archives were scoured years ago and most of the known sources have been questioned again and again. If anyone had anything like that, I might be Joe Johnston, but he has sold a lot of his personal possessions from that time and very little of Fett has ever come up.

In regard to the type of photos/reference, we see today... we live in unprecedented times thanks to digital cameras/media/unlimited storage. When these pieces were being created, none of that was a thing and no one was taking those types of photos. We are lucky to have what we have given what a small role Fett played.
Art, thanks for your reply! : )

Got mine yesterday, and I’m pretty impressed. The paint apps are excellently done for a mass produced helmet, they hold up really well even under close inspection. But it’s the metal ears that really make it, and the rangefinder makes such a satisfying click moving up and down. One thing I noticed on mine is it’s missing the heavy handed blotching on the dome that Ive heard many complain about. I wonder if it’s just mine or if it’s been left off of the second wave. Maybe I’m looking at it with rose coloured glasses but it does seem like a well done helmet, and will be a nice companion piece to my MCR-ESB raw cast.
My helmet I received about a month ago is the same way; no blotching on the dome at all.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back