Deathwatch Westar35 Sidearm (Identified Base)

Gilmortar

Well-Known Hunter
Hey All,

So my wife (Hydra) and myself have been working on some new suits, and working with some of our local friends to do a Deathwatch group with our Armorer/Din builds so we started diving into some of the other items folks haven't tackled yet.

With the release of the Hot Toys figure we got a glimpse at this guy:

le-figure-hot-toys_star-wars_gallery_5f7f40a5f188d.jpg

which the top middle shows the first ON-SCREEN, Westar 35. So Hot Toys is known to make their items from screen used photos/scans/models. So I took that this would be one of the best images so far for the Westar to base my model off of.

We roughed out the main body, but between us and our friends working on this, we were stuck on the grip. What is it? We had our friend Dent Eastwood in on the discussion and he and another friend of ours had a accurate hypothesis\guess to it being a particular custom style 1911.

After perusing Evike.com, and using this one photo I took with my phone from the Disney+ Gallery episode, "Legacy" at exactly 7:27 in seen here:

ScreenShot.png

The grip seen there confirmed our thoughts for the 1911. The grip there had 2 major tells seen in red. A very specific decocker, and a very specific rotated W shape on the grip. So looking through airsofts we found this:

Capture.PNG

This Airsoft on Evike (item# 59145) matches EVERYTHING. The same decocker mechanisme, same grip texture. Same rotated W pattern on the grip. Same magwell shelf. Even matches the straight trigger guard style on the Hot Toys sidearm. We couldn't find a gray handle option, so we believe that was painted along with the body of the pistol after construction.

So for you DeathWatchers... go get yours while it's still in stock.

Last edited:
Right you are. I wish you had hit me up though , man. The hi-caps grip has been known since the day Chapter 8 dropped. The slide is what has eluded us since Chapter 3’s pistols are CG and you only see the grip on the Armorer’s table and in the holsters.

Right you are. I wish you had hit me up though , man. The hi-caps grip has been known since the day Chapter 8 dropped. The slide is what has eluded us since Chapter 3’s pistols are CG and you only see the grip on the Armorer’s table and in the holsters.
Well worry not... we will most likely put the upper portion on thingiverse and here for everyone to download.

To be honest we checked the forums here, and didn't see it mentioned anywhere, so he felt compelled to share via a thread to help the community/other builders.

The above airsoft pistol is based on an STI 2011.

The STI 2011 is an update to the classic JMB/Colt 1911. Notable updates are: double-stack magazine, 2-piece polymer/metal frame, square trigger guard, and an optional accessory (ie: light/laser) rail.

Last edited:
The above airsoft pistol is based on an STI 2011.

The STI 2011 is an update to the classic JMB/Colt 1911. Notable updates are: double-stack magazine, 2-piece polymer/metal frame, square trigger guard, and an optional accessory (ie: light/laser) rail.
You are wholly correct, friend.

However, after going through the episode frame by frame, as well as the Gallery episode’s clipettes that show the side arm and some BTS photos we’ve seen I can say with higher probability that these were static/modified versions off the base (much like Din’s Bergmann hero is a casting off the real firearm) so I finished my model which I will be putting on shapeways later tonight that is made to house this grip frame part for the AW Hi-Capa 1911 or “2011”.

A much cheaper alternative to the $150 full pistol, but you’ll need to pick up the magwell shelf and decocker ($20 and $15).

ED372ABD-F712-4182-A7EB-744F21EB18B3.jpeg

do you have a time frame from when you will be selling these fully printed?

Are you planning on selling prints or casts of this? If so please add me to the list!!!!

So, honestly, if I offer castings, it will be a while. I got into that game a long time ago and I have never been good with keeping up with commissions. I am currently printing the models to make sure they all work correctly and such for both FDM and SLA printers. But I do plan on molding the resin print prototype after cleaning for a rubber version.

But I plan on putting the files up on either Shapeways or Etsy next week to make them available for cheap.

***POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT***

Well, with the latest episode there aren’t GREAT shots for reference, but there are a few. So I’ll be revamping the model tonight and hope to reprototype it and have a final design that is more closely accurate to the hero props by Monday.

***POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT***

Well, with the latest episode there aren’t GREAT shots for reference, but there are a few. So I’ll be revamping the model tonight and hope to reprototype it and have a final design that is more closely accurate to the hero props by Monday.
Do you think they used the same prop for These vs DW, being different clans and all?

I don't think they did. I also think that Hot Toys didn't have access to the hero props we see in the latest episode.

So my presumption being and hearing it from a source on set, that the Westars from episode 8 season one, were apparently very quickly made for the Deathwatch. So, honestly, I think my model for the Deathwatch grunts' blaster MIGHT be more accurate than my brain is trying to think.

I definitely will be making an updated version for Season 2

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back