Boba Fett rubies deluxe....

New Hunter
Hey all, it's been a while since I posted here, some 15 years perhaps when I joined this great community on the back of purchasing a Bobamaker helmet, version 2 I believe, long story short, sold the BM helmet for one reason or another and then was made privvy to this rather, not bad for the price Rubie's....
I think at a quarter of the price (50 quid) for what will be a display piece to complete my icons of movie (mainly villians) it's a great purchase....
So of course it needs completely repainting, I'm using rattle cans for my endeavour so colours will not be exact, I'm also using those fantastic stencils to approximate the scratches, just eying up where they should be and free handing with a pencil for maskin purposes....
So far this is what I have done

IMG_20180901_181431.jpg

IMG_20180901_181431.jpg

Whad you use for your silver layer if you don't mind my asking? Had any top-layer lifting problems with it yet?
I always have to be really careful whenever I use a spray metallic, top-layers just have such a hard time griping to their little metal dust.

Whad you use for your silver layer if you don't mind my asking? Had any top-layer lifting problems with it yet?
I always have to be really careful whenever I use a spray metallic, top-layers just have such a hard time griping to their little metal dust.
Hey Grimstuff, I used Humbrol silver, leave it to cure for 24 hours or so then a light rub down with 0000 grade wire wool, when I eventually get to do the finer detailing and weathering I will use a metallic wax to give more depth and realism as and where needed.....

Oh true, yeah then. That's mostly what I've been settling on too; always using an artist enamel for the silver base, even if the rest of the paintjob is gonna be rattlecans. The cheap rattlecan metallics are just a pain to make work as a basecoat.

Nice work so far! I think you got the Rubies helmet that was sold exclusively at Target and now available on Amazon!

It can make a great starter helmet especially with a great paint job!

Looks great! I am working on my Rubies Deluxe as we speak. Wasn't pleased with the kill stripes, so I've got some of Lucksy31 templates on order. I'ts really amazing how "good" of a budget helmet this is. Ear caps and range finder aside, the main helmet is the same size as my low number Don Post Deluxe fiberglass bucket!

Basic areas of the Mandibles done, I know it looks a bit amateur in the photos, but I have yet to apply all the weathering techniques yet....
My basic idea is to go for a decent representation of the ESB helmet rather than a spot bollock replica, and to be honest if it looks the part then it is....
I have two Vader helmets, a modified dp classic, a fantastic csMclaren Darth ugly, a Cyberman helmet I've tinkered with, an endoskull I've lovingly restored, c3p0, and at last after regrettably getting rid of my BM lid many moons ago my personal iconic character collection will soon be complete

Nice! Work on your skills and I'm sure you'll want to upgrade the helmet once you're completed with this download.

I don't think an upgrade will be necessary, I won't be wearing it for cosplay purposes, whilst the Rubies helmet may not be totally screen accurate, for 50 quid it's pretty damn close, and I really don't understand the obsession with fibreglass helmets, like I mentioned before it it looks the part then it is....

IMG_20180905_192306.jpg

I don't think an upgrade will be necessary, I won't be wearing it for cosplay purposes, whilst the Rubies helmet may not be totally screen accurate, for 50 quid it's pretty damn close, and I really don't understand the obsession with fibreglass helmets, like I mentioned before it it looks the part then it is....

View attachment 167711

IMG_20180909_142053.jpg

How are you planning on dealing with the visor? Are you going to remove it and apply a whole new one or just tint the current one? I'm on the same boat with my rubies I don't know what's best.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back