3d printed Mandalorian helmet

stormtrooperguy

Sr Hunter
I felt bad for this forum section... It needed some posts :)

A while back I got the 3d model file from Sean Fields: 3D printable helmet inspired by The Mandalorian

It's super early. We haven't seen all the sides. But when printing a helmet costs $30 why not?

My usual formula is print, sand, coat with glazing putty, then sand forever...

Eventually getting to a nice smooth finish...

My first paint job wasn't great... the silver wasn't shiny and the weathering was overdone...

I sanded it smooth again and used rub and buff for the next pass...

Oh and Sean left the back pretty plain. I felt like that was sorta boring, so I modeled up a key slot and added it in:

Will you be making molds? And are there any actual pictures of the back of this helmet :eek:?

No molds for me anymore... I don't have the time to cast them, so the molds just end up being expensive shelf warmers :/

There haven't been any public images of the back or other side yet, so it's all guesswork. Sean's model has the mohawk / stripe going all the way to the bottom. I put the key slot in there to break it up a bit, but that's just wishful thinking that the actual rear would look like that.

Yes! You were one of the reasons that I wanted this section to be added to the site now. I love that weathering and paintjob. I look forward to seeing more of the show's helmet in the next few weeks.

Hey to any staff, is it alright to post some reference stills from the newly leaked Celebration trailer? Disney seems to be hitting the youtube uploads pretty hard so wouldn't want to cause the site any problems.

Amazing work! My friend just bought the 3D files and we'll be doing exactly this!! :D
Would you mind sharing the paints you used? And I guess that's bondo you coated and sanded?

i wonder if we should wait for more images to appear or just with what we got ?

I know that I have reached out to try and get more images but no luck so far

Amazing work! My friend just bought the 3D files and we'll be doing exactly this!! :D
Would you mind sharing the paints you used? And I guess that's bondo you coated and sanded?

Rub and Buff Silver leaf, then the weathering was a sloppy mix of grey, black and raw umber. Same general formula as Jango.

i wonder if we should wait for more images to appear or just with what we got ?

I know that I have reached out to try and get more images but no luck so far

I'm definitely going to re-make this helmet once the model gets updated. I guess it depends on whether you want to make the costume once and forever or if you are super impatient like me :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back