TheWaugh's 3d printed build

TheWaugh

New Hunter
Hey everyone, long time lurker and first time poster here. Some months ago I 3D printed Din's helmet to put on a shelf and look cool. Recently I've decided to go ahead and build the entire suit. I will say that I'm working to a smaller budget than a lot of the fantastic builds I see on here and therefore my build will probably end up not being screen accurate.

Anyway, up to now I have the helmet, right vambrace, chest, and both shoulder pads completely done. I also have the torso armor, both hip plates, both thigh plates, and the left knee printed but they still need a lot of processing. My current process for the 3d printed parts is to take the part and brush it with SLA uv resin and leave this to sit in the sun for an hour or so. This leaves a hard easily sandable surface and also fills most of the layer lines that come with a 3d printed part. I then sand down the resin surface and use a filler primer to fill the final gaps. Once this is all smooth with no imperfections I paint the parts gloss black and then use the powered graphite method to achieve the finish.

For the soft parts, I'm having my cape and flak jacket custom made and should be receiving them next week. Right now for the flight suit, I'm going to use a grey boiler suit until I can source something better. For the ammo belt and holster, I've bought an off the shelf costume piece that I'm hoping to modify.

This is my first build so I'm, always looking for advice. I'm not sure If I'm making a rod for my own back by 3d printing all of the armour as there is so much finishing work that needs to be done. But I'm enjoying the journey so far!
20210828_180950.jpg

Good looking prints. Did you seal the graphite or just leave as is?
Thank you.

I apply the graphite, polish it up and then seal it with a clear lacquer. I do this 2-3 times for each piece until I get the colour I want. But I find that the lacquer changes how the graphite looks so I always do a final unsealed layer. It does mean that the final layer attracts fingerprints but they can be polished out, or more graphite can be applied.

That's interesting. I think most of us were just doing the graphite rub / polish and then 2K clearcoat. I have one piece of armor left to finish, I'm going to give this a try. Thanks!

That's interesting. I think most of us were just doing the graphite rub / polish and then 2K clearcoat. I have one piece of armor left to finish, I'm going to give this a try. Thanks!
Yeah, give it a shot, the clear keeps the part shiny but I think it takes some of the lustre away if that makes sense?

So it's been a hot minute, and I've been busy! In fact, I'm finished with the 'first draft' of my mando cosplay. It's not screen accurate, I'll need a new flight suit and a new flak jacket. But I'm pretty happy with how it's looking right now. I need to get some better photos.

Attachments

• IMG-20211016-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211016-WA0000.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 158
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back