The End of Model Master Paint Line

Tfett40

Active Hunter
I recently discovered that the Model Master paintline has been discountinued. What I am more surprised about is that it was officially discountinued approximately 6 months ago and it has not been really discussed here considering how much us acrylic users like using the line. According to the Testors website, it is now part of the Rustoleum Group. Depending on who you ask Rustoleum bought out Testors or both were already under the same parent company Republic Powered Metals (RPM). Regardless, the decision has been made to consolidate the Testors brand and elminate the Model Masters line. If you attempt to look on ebay, Amazon or your local hobby shop, Model Master has been clearanced out. I went to my local hobby store and snagged up few needed bottles for 50 cents. But all other sources seemed to be dried up now and gone. It looks like the hobby paint enthusiatics got the jump on them several months back. If you care to read about how this occurred take alot at one ot the Hobby Forum threads I came across over at Hobby Talk:

For now, only the Model Master line is out. They still plan to continue with the production of the enamal .25 oz and the 3oz model spray cans.

With this said, Hobbiest who use acrylics have begun moving towards Vallejo Paint, Mission Model, AK Interactive and of course Tamiya. I have been using Vallejo and Tamiya and I really like both. Anyone have any thoughts on Mission Model or AK?

Now it is time to look for substitues for:

ROTJ Boba Gauntlets: Boxcar Red or British Crimson

Boba Fett damage yellow and shoulder: Yellow Zinc Chromate

Boba Fett Green: Euro Dark Green/Medium Green.

Any other paint suggestions?

Wow, that really sucks to hear. Honestly :D I've been trying to stock up some colors recently and couldn't find what I needed at all. I didn't look into that much more, but here we are. There's still Tamiya and Vallejo that are relatively easy to get and affordable to get in Europe at least. And Archive-X. Welp.

Last edited:
yea i noticed that a few months back and got as much as i could of the common colors i use...hopefully i have enough to at the very least finish the commissions i have left.

Panzer olive green and light blue were the 2 i used the most from that line. Humbrol is pretty good for most of the rest. i would like to find more alternatives though.

Wow, that really sucks to hear. Honestly :D I've been trying to stock up some colors recently and couldn't find what I needed at all. I didn't look into that much more, but here we are. There's still Tamiya and Vallejo that are relatively easy to get and affordable to get in Europe at least. And Archive-X. Welp.
Agreed, Ive come to really like Vallejo and their selection is growing. It is a matter of testing them out.

yea i noticed that a few months back and got as much as i could of the common colors i use...hopefully i have enough to at the very least finish the commissions i have left.

Panzer olive green and light blue were the 2 i used the most from that line. Humbrol is pretty good for most of the rest. i would like to find more alternatives though.
That is the part that sucks. Wondering if you will have enough to finish what is on the table. I am sure we will eventually find those substitues

Anyone got any knowledge with equivalents for "Yellow Zinc Chromate" ?? been searching but no luck as of yet. Haven't tried out the Archive-X Yellows either...Anyone used "EX-014 1975 Mud" ?? I'm really curious how that looks for ESB.

Anyone got any knowledge with equivalents for "Yellow Zinc Chromate" ?? been searching but no luck as of yet. Haven't tried out the Archive-X Yellows either...Anyone used "EX-014 1975 Mud" ?? I'm really curious how that looks for ESB.
These are still W.I.P. The ROTJ here is Archive-X Foundation first then SP Armour Yellow misted with Rust and Roof Brown.

The ESB set is the same base, but with more Rust and Roof Brown. Some light Engine Black too.

The ESB left shoulder is a new AX colour, UP Armour Yellow. Mythosaur is Reefer White and Boxcar Red.

Attachments

• 56DC93DD-384E-4B90-9286-32E97DB795E8.jpeg
    56DC93DD-384E-4B90-9286-32E97DB795E8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 197
  • 02DF3255-19E2-4C2E-AD5C-6D64AB713EB2.jpeg
    02DF3255-19E2-4C2E-AD5C-6D64AB713EB2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
These are still W.I.P. The ROTJ here is Archive-X Foundation first the SP Armour Yellow misted with Rust and Roof Brown.

The ESB set is the same base, but with more Rust and Roof Brown. Some light Engine Black too.

The ESB left shoulder is a new AX colour, UP Armour Yellow. Mythosaur is Reefer White and Boxcar Red.
Brilliant info. Cheers for that! I had completely forgot they were doing a UP Armour Yellow too.
I actually own a couple of real Floquil pots of that colour, love to compare it with their variant.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back