Superjedi's MCR-ESB for D. Smith

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Let's get back to a helmet commission!
I'm starting number 61 this weekend. The kit is an MCR-ESB that the owner has cleaned up and prepped. He requested this be done as a screen used ESB version. I'm not sure if he's a TDH member or not. If you're here, say hi! :)
There are some great accessories with this one, too. It arrived with MCR metal ears and Borden piece, a Terminalfettler RF topper, a Bobamaker visor and MQ-1 insert, and a JC27 light kit. Wow!
Much more to come.

20220325_135857.jpg 20220325_135926.jpg

Lovely stuff. Will be getting on to this stage myself soon. On my first paint job, I tried to get every little scrape on the base grey and dark grey layers and it just didn't work so this time I'll be following your lead, getting the basic shapes down and then doing the detail topically. I know your jobs are all topical and although it's a difficult area, I imagine it's a lot easier to do that detail with a fine brush than it is to try to mark out with masking fluid.

How do you not get brush strokes show up when you're working topically?? (Apologies, I'm sure you've been asked that question thousands of times before!) Also, do you thin your paint as you would with an airbrush, if so do you use the same ratio? (2:1 paint to thinner)

I’ve always wondered that too Short4ATrooper. I’ve tried finding those strokes on my superjedi helmets and can’t!
I went topical to get the fine detail in the base grey layer on my paint up earlier and I found it tough to get the balance right as I assume it's all in the paint to thinner ratio but go too thin and its just watery and requires several coats, making it too thick and 'raised.' Don't thin it or don't thin it enough and you get brush strokes. What's the answer superjedi ?!?!?

The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural...

:lol:

It's partly what you mentioned-- paint consistency. You do have to find a good mix ratio so the paint goes on well but isn't so thin that you need to do multiple coats.
Another factor is brushing technique. When I paint topically I tend to use short choppy strokes rather than long strokes. This helps to blend away any unevenness.

The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural...

:lol:

It's partly what you mentioned-- paint consistency. You do have to find a good mix ratio so the paint goes on well but isn't so thin that you need to do multiple coats.
Another factor is brushing technique. When I paint topically I tend to use short choppy strokes rather than long strokes. This helps to blend away any unevenness.
Interesting. I plan to continue what I’ve done with getting the fine detail down topically so I’ll keep this in mind, nice one.

Helmet looking superb as usual by the way!

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back