Silver #11 Question

Hey guys quick question. I put the layers of Humbrol silver 11 down and it seems kind of matte to me. Am I suppose to wet sand with steel wool or something to bring out a little shine or is that how it is suppose to be? I duno but I feel like in your guys pics the silver layer looks more reflective and foil like. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys quick question. I put the layers of Humbrol silver 11 down and it seems kind of matte to me. Am I suppose to wet sand with steel wool or something to bring out a little shine or is that how it is suppose to be? I duno but I feel like in your guys pics the silver layer looks more reflective and foil like. Thanks in advance.

I am using floquil bright silver which does shine a bunch when applied. But I just laid down a dull coat to protect the back panels while I continue onto the dome and it really subdued the shine. Unless I'm using the wrong type of clear coat I think that the silver will eventually become matted anyway.

Sent from my iPhone

It's pretty normal, it's not too realistic of a metallic paint, which is good because the original prop's isn't too good either.
It's why cold cast helmets often look a little weird, because their metallics are too shiney and real.

Only the real metal parts like the borden and ears should have a realistic metal shine to em. Rest just that sorta dull slightly-reflective aluminum look that Silver 11 gives.

That said if it's coming out super dull, could be a thinning or humidity issue making your layers come out a little grainy. Micro textures like that will naturally create a more matted appearance. If that is the case you can try steel wolling it a little to smooth it out and re-layering. But I wouldn't fret to much about it, as said, it's supposed to be a weak effect, and yeah, any un-masked clear coat will kill it completely anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Humbrol No.11 has changed in recent years and has become less metallic. You need to mix it with some Humbrol metalcote to get the right finish, using metalcote on its own isn't an option as subsequent layers will peel off, probably. Let me just check the mix and paint numbers...

- - - Updated - - -

Silver: 27002+11 (2:1)

This is the mix to get the correct metallic sheen...

I am using floquil bright silver which does shine a bunch when applied. But I just laid down a dull coat to protect the back panels while I continue onto the dome and it really subdued the shine. Unless I'm using the wrong type of clear coat I think that the silver will eventually become matted anyway.

Sent from my iPhone

Floquil would only have been making three silvery colours in the necessary timeframe and bright silver was one. It was the one preferred by Lee Malone when he made his list. The other two were old silver and platinum mist if I recall correctly.

I have a strong dislike for Humbrol 11. I used Testor's Steel for my bucket, I like it much more. It's a far more realistic looking metallic color. Bare metal shouldn't be shiney, most metals and alloys oxidize very quickly. I think the testor's steel I'd a very accurate representation. Whether or not it's screen accurate, I can't say, but I like how it looks.

- - - Updated - - -

It's pretty normal, it's not too realistic of a metallic paint, which is good because the original prop's isn't too good either.
It's why cold cast helmets often look a little weird, because their metallics are too shiney and real.

Only the real metal parts like the borden and ears should have a realistic metal shine to em. Rest just that sorta dull slightly-reflective aluminum look that Silver 11 gives.

That said if it's coming out super dull, could be a thinning or humidity issue making your layers come out a little grainy. Micro textures like that will naturally create a more matted appearance. If that is the case you can try steel wolling it a little to smooth it out and re-layering. But I wouldn't fret to much about it, as said, it's supposed to be a weak effect, and yeah, any un-masked clear coat will kill it completely anyway.

thanks, kind of hoping after sanding, weathering and a light black overspray is applied it'll look good. Weather here has been a little all over the place, I was wondering if it could have been that too.

- - - Updated - - -

Humbrol No.11 has changed in recent years and has become less metallic. You need to mix it with some Humbrol metalcote to get the right finish, using metalcote on its own isn't an option as subsequent layers will peel off, probably. Let me just check the mix and paint numbers...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I'm gonna look for some and try it. Why haven't more people mention that in their builds? seems important!:lol:

20170518_182741.jpg
Observe

If that pic is accurate to how it looks in person, then ya... that's pretty darn flat.
My batch which I bought about 6 months ago is a pretty crap metallic, but it still at least gives a dull aluminum look.. Yours looks almost stoneish.

IMG_20170331_203734.jpg
IMG_20170405_025215.jpg

I guess see if the steel wooling/recoating helps any, if not, then yeah, might be worth considering a mix or alternative if you want some better accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that pic is accurate to how it looks in person, then ya... that's pretty darn flat.
My batch which I bought about 6 months ago is a pretty crap metallic, but it still at least gives a dull aluminum look.. Yours looks almost stoneish.

View attachment 109129
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=108292&d=1491792178&thumb=1

I guess see if the steel wooling/recoating helps any, if not, then yeah, might be worth considering a mix or alternative if you want some better accuracy.
Damn, was afraid of this but glad I asked. Thanks. And yeah i think stonish is the perfect word for this.

- - - Updated - - -

That is exactly how it always turned out for me. For a while I thought I was doing something wrong. Then just said screw and went another direction.
Yeah im pretty frustrated. What are you using?

- - - Updated - - -

Think im only finding this stuff in the spray can, how do you mix it with the 11 two to one?

try megahobby.com. I get all of my humbrols from there, they should have them both.

Like TF said, the humbrol formula was changed fairly recently and it just doesnt look the same anymore. For my silver coat on the helmets i actually use a rattlecan. Krylon Bright silver. I think it gives the right look and is easy. I also never have any issue with it under the rest of the humbrols. Like was mentioned before, the dullcoate over it knocks the sheen back a little bit as well.

EDIT: i just checked, they carry the metalcote, but its out of stock :/

try megahobby.com. I get all of my humbrols from there, they should have them both.

Like TF said, the humbrol formula was changed fairly recently and it just doesnt look the same anymore. For my silver coat on the helmets i actually use a rattlecan. Krylon Bright silver. I think it gives the right look and is easy. I also never have any issue with it under the rest of the humbrols. Like was mentioned before, the dullcoate over it knocks the sheen back a little bit as well.

EDIT: i just checked, they carry the metalcote, but its out of stock :/
Jeez, so many options. First color down and its already getting complicated lol. I like the idea of something quick and easy now especially after days of applying this no good silver

Hey while on the topic of humbrols, and more importantly before i take this party further. Are there any other humbrol colors that are messed up? This concrete/sand layer in particular is giving me anxiety.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back