Servo kit to work consistently with MCR metal ears?

boba87fett

Active Hunter
Hi everyone,

Does anyone currently have a servo kit with the MCR metal ears with consistent performance from their servo kit? I'm trying to decide if I am just going to abandon the servo kit and re-tap the stalk to install a nut or continue trouble shooting this set up.

I have the MCR metal ears on my FPH2 and a servo kit from Black Tusk Workshop (BH-51512).

I am having the hardest time getting the servo mount to size flush and square inside the helmet. Even when I think I have it held in the right place, my RF stalk inconsistently goes all the way up and all the way down with lateral travel. I've spent hours trying to line it all up without success. If I can get it lined up I will put some putty around the mount to hold it in place.

Thanks,
Steven

It will be almost impossible to get the servo to sit flush against the helmet due to the interior curvature. Maybe you need a different servo mount. I don’t know what the one included with your servo kit looks like. The bracket that comes with my servo kit doesn’t sit flat either, but it does hold the servo securely so it won’t move as long as the bracket is secure inside the helmet.

The additional nuts from the metal ears definitely make it more challenging. For the time being I uninstalled it until I feel more patient. Here is the space I am working with. I cut out some of the mount and I cut some length off of the screw, but I still can't get the RF stalk to travel straight. Might try again in the future. It was just taking to much time to figure out.

Attachments

• A635B724-EF19-4263-9426-EFD228BA0FE2.jpeg
    A635B724-EF19-4263-9426-EFD228BA0FE2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 265
  • 56763D2D-4B0F-4712-B11F-8A668C6A6ED8.jpeg
    56763D2D-4B0F-4712-B11F-8A668C6A6ED8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 263
Your best option would probably be rotate the mount so the servo and bracket are on either side of that screw from the ear piece. You should be able to orient the servo in a different position to sit flatter against the helmet.

Your best option would probably be rotate the mount so the servo and bracket are on either side of that screw from the ear piece. You should be able to orient the servo in a different position to sit flatter against the helmet.

Can you change the settings on the servo for where it starts and where it ends? If I move the servo itself, the rotation is off.

Make sure the servo is set at dead 12 o'clock. 1 degree before or after can cause problems as the servo is set for a 90° sweep from 12-3. If that's the issue you will hear the servo buzzing.

Last edited:
Here is what I would do:
Mount the servo inside the helmet to a spot that the screws don’t get in the way. Once that’s done, turn the system on and let it go to the starting point of the rotation, then mark the shaft so you know where the starting point is. Attach the stalk so that it is in the up position and it matches the mark you made on the servo.
the servo will only turn a given amount, but you should be able to attach the stalk so no matter where the servo is mounted inside the helmet, the stalk starts and stops in the correct place.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back