Seeking some advice

Jimbo

Hunter
helmet question jd.jpg
I grabbed a screen shot of Rafa's template... There's are several sections in the picture attached. I've high lighted one of those and I'm looking for any tips on how to get this shaded effect down on the helmet. I have some carbon transfer paper. It almost looks like using sponge of some sort might work. Probably won't ..... There must be a few hundred dots if you will..... How do you all get those down from the template and onto the helmet?

KaanE is correct: all those areas are misted paint. I wasn't sure how to best represent that effect. It is important to use images of the original helmets (be them exhibit images, promo shots or screencaps) along with the templates when painting and always double check everything.

Hi mate - the way I approached them was to lay the silver down first. Then lightly transfer the shapes on using your transfer paper. Here, you will need to look at many reference photos and using an airbrush, mist with a grey to the best your eyes can see, as close to the reference pics as possible. It may look a bit of a mess at this point, but it should :).

From here, you will then re-stencil your shapes, making sure you are very exact this time. This will set the shapes up to be liquid masked (I like Humbrol Maskol for this). Once masked, the green layer is added, and once dried, the mask can be peeled, revealing your shapes with the misting. Then all the weathering and topical detail fun starts! I think I have pics of the process in my ROTJ thread if you need to get a visual. Best of luck bud! :)

Hi mate - the way I approached them was to lay the silver down first. Then lightly transfer the shapes on using your transfer paper. Here, you will need to look at many reference photos and using an airbrush, mist with a grey to the best your eyes can see, as close to the reference pics as possible. It may look a bit of a mess at this point, but it should :).

From here, you will then re-stencil your shapes, making sure you are very exact this time. This will set the shapes up to be liquid masked (I like Humbrol Maskol for this). Once masked, the green layer is added, and once dried, the mask can be peeled, revealing your shapes with the misting. Then all the weathering and topical detail fun starts! I think I have pics of the process in my ROTJ thread if you need to get a visual. Best of luck bud! :)
Thanks for the response.... I've layed down the hunbrol light grey matte. I'm thinking some liquid courage sounds about right to help me move on to the silver.

What color or layer is associated with the yellow arrow on the attached picture?

Attachments

• ROTJ Helmet.jpg
    ROTJ Helmet.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 154
KaanE is correct mate. Lay the silver and mask the areas to remain bright silver. Then mist with your grey to match the pics (some areas will have heavier grey, some will be lightly misted (again, to match the reference pics). It was so long ago, so had to check again, but in the first post, there is a colour list. The greys are listed in there. It reads:

“MISTING THROUGHOUT ALL SILVER AREAS - Misting over silver (11) using a combo (this should be actual fading, not mixing the colours together) of Humbrol Gunmetal (53) and Humbrol Tank Grey (67).“

KaanE is correct mate. Lay the silver and mask the areas to remain bright silver. Then mist with your grey to match the pics (some areas will have heavier grey, some will be lightly misted (again, to match the reference pics). It was so long ago, so had to check again, but in the first post, there is a colour list. The greys are listed in there. It reads:

“MISTING THROUGHOUT ALL SILVER AREAS - Misting over silver (11) using a combo (this should be actual fading, not mixing the colours together) of Humbrol Gunmetal (53) and Humbrol Tank Grey (67).“
Perfect, that's what I thought.... Thanks for the confirmation. When I was looking at your description and the photo's, it looks like Photo 4 is missing and I was convinced that was the one I was looking for. Thanks for the help Jayvee.... I'll post a picture or two this weekend. Maybe :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back