rubio95's FPH2 - RotJ WIP

rubio95

Active Hunter
Had to get busy on this angel...

...and I'm pleasantly surprised that I remember how to use my air gun!

I cut out the visor and hit the lid with some more primer. Filed down what the Dremel couldn't reach. Wet sanded the lid several times - I'm a fan of smooooooth surfaces.

In the past, I've always used rattlecan for the silver underlayer. But this time I decided to use Humbrol #11. Turned out pretty nice.

I've sized about half of Rafalfett's wonderful templates to fit this helmet, so I should be able to get going on the back panels tomorrow after work. Like I said, I'm going to try and follow Jayvee's paint list as much as I can. I've managed to get ahold of EVERY color, with two exceptions - the two Floquil colors that he mixed the the green of the back panels. In the past, I've found that regular 'ol rattlecan Hunter Green looked great - but I was wondering if anyone has any alternate suggestions for that color to use through an airbrush. If nothing else, I'll formulate something on my own.

Anyways, I snapped one quick shot with my phone. I'm so excited!

095CD823-255C-4DBE-84D1-05FFC999E6AB.jpg

Awesome buddy, that lid is just superb! Anything I may be able to help with along the way, feel free to shoot through a message at any stage (y)

Awesome buddy, that lid is just superb! Anything I may be able to help with along the way, feel free to shoot through a message at any stage (y)

Thanks, homie. Seriously, your paint skills on this lid would be GAME OVER.

There's good news and bad news. The good news is I managed to locate and purchase Jayvee's back plate paint mix. The bad news is it's shipping from New York (I'm in Southern California

Rubio, i have f ew of those floquils for the back panels. If you need them LMK i'll send you a bottle of each, just pay shipping :)

That's really nice of you, Lou, but I already ordered them. You're lucky that you're already in New York. Seems like all the great sources are in NY or Jersey.

I'd love to see your take on this lid.... It might rival Jayvee's! Have you thought about it?

That's really nice of you, Lou, but I already ordered them. You're lucky that you're already in New York. Seems like all the great sources are in NY or Jersey.

I'd love to see your take on this lid.... It might rival Jayvee's! Have you thought about it?

Haha you quoted me before i edited the post...i realzed you aquired them and altered my post.

I did do a ROTJ lid. It was a GMH, i pretty much followed Jayvees thread as well.
Here it is:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/dvh-rotj-paint-up-first-try-49877/?highlight=DVH+ROTJ

It came out pretty good, but definitely did not rival Jayvees! lol I do have 2 more to do, (plus one for myself at some point) so more practice makes perfect!

Looking forward to this paint up on this fantastic helmet!

Holy hell...

I want to use this opportunity to heap some more praise on Jayvee. Jesus, this isn't easy. Rafalfett's wonderful templates are awesome, but there are a few details missing. However, Jayvee didn't miss a THING. I got started on the back panels tonight, and boy, are they weird. So for anyone attempting an RotJ paintup...Jayvee.

So here I am, silver and grays laid. Ready for the next batch of stencils. The only problem is that my paints are on their way from New York. Hopefully they'll be here by Saturday (I'm in Southern California), but I think it's more likely that they'll be here in the middle of next week.

Anyways, here's where I'm at....

Masked:

C3FE9CFB-9D04-4CE6-8BF7-4E6C4F81121C.jpg

Two grays:

E0A17CAB-41C5-4AC8-8D8A-0C5BD367A610.jpg

Awesome start bud, looking great! Appreciate the kind words too mate, far too kind (y)

No, not too kind, lol!

Anyways, this just isn't fair....

3F2A6570-33DB-4E2D-9857-E5C4322BB8A5.jpg

However, I got a bit of good news...

Apparently, FedEx is awesome, and they say that my paints will be here on Saturday, Si I have the rest of tonight up until Saturday afternoon to finish the masking of the right back panel. That'll be a challenge!

So even though FedEx initially seemed to be amazing, the fact is, they suck! All week long, the ETA was Saturday. And then Saturday came....and went. From talking to one of their reps, apparently there are two dates. The first is the ETA. That means nothing. The second is their 'Commitment' date, which is not displayed when you track a package. Anyways, the paints showed up today. I mixed them and built up several coats. I'm not Ponte and I'm certainly not Jayvee, but I'm very pleased. Since I put several light coats on, and finished with a fairly heavy final coat, I can't touch this for the rest of the night, which is always sooooo hard for me. I wanna start pulling the mask NOW!
I'll try to hold back, but I'll say this....Jayvee is an evil wizard.

B6091CC1-F57D-4249-98B8-BE2FFC2B2EF3.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back