ROTJ Jetpack Colors

Irongladiator

Active Hunter
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello Fellow Fetts,
I welcome anyone to reply to this thread, but this question is more so directed at Boochman and Lazerjock - They've both completed their Jetpacks and was curious what colors they landed on? According to the 501st you are meant to have these Colors.

They don't say what Pantone for the Silver or White So I just planned on using Tamiya's X-11 for the base Silver and then Tamiya's X-2 for the parts that are White.

X-11 and X-2.jpg

But the below is what the 501st says you should come close on the Jetpack for the other colors.
Jet Pack Colors.jpg

The 501st calls these colors "Royal Blue", "Burgundy", "Golden Yellow". I was just curious what you guys used for these colors. Specifically the manufacturers and numbers if you have them. (e.g. Tamiya, Humbrol, Vallejo, etc.)

Thanks a bunch!
-Iron

Iron,
You won't believe it but I used almost all spray paint on my jet pack and helmet. The exception is the black weathering which was airbrushed.
It was acrylic from Joann fabrics that I watered down to flow through the airbrush.
If you want to know the colors of the spay paint I can get it for you, but my guess is no. LOL

Iron,
You won't believe it but I used almost all spray paint on my jet pack and helmet. The exception is the black weathering which was airbrushed.
It was acrylic from Joann fabrics that I watered down to flow through the airbrush.
If you want to know the colors of the spay paint I can get it for you, but my guess is no. LOL

Hahaha! :lol: Hold on......I can't be reading this right........so you used "Rattle Can Paints" and sprayed them into the paint cup of the airbrush and then watered it down some so it would flow? :unsure: Wow! Those colors musta certainly resonated with you or made some kind of an impression on you then huh? Well.....now I'm curious what did you end up going with?

I think he only watered and airbrushed the black. The others were sprayed directly from the can. I did the same way back in the day. I’ll see if I can dig up what colors I used, if it would help

I think he only watered and airbrushed the black. The others were sprayed directly from the can. I did the same way back in the day. I’ll see if I can dig up what colors I used, if it would help

That'd be a big help. Just trying to be proactive and research the colors some. Watered and airbrushed the black.....now that I re-read it, it makes more sense. ;) (y)

-Iron

Matt, this is what I used as a guide when I did mine.

I think I might have substituted a color or two due to not finding a particular color, but most were the same.
With that being said, if I ever do it again, I will use all airbrush.

Hey sorry for the late reply. I was at the photo shoot all day. Pictures are being processed and then I will post what I got in my build thread.
Yes I only watered down the black acrylic and shot it through the airbrush. All of the others are spray paint straight from the can.
Like ShortFuse I would do it all with airbrush if I had to do it again with the exception of the silver/aluminum base coat.

Hey Irongladiator - thanks for calling me out specifically (get right to the source), hahahaha! Hopefully I can help you out, BUT like the gents above; I rattlecanned all of the base color on my Jetpack! I’ve been more comfortable with the rattlecans for my build - everything to date has been painted with them, but the weathering has been a mix of either hand painted/sponged acrylics or airbrush.

My color list is below (all Rustoleum):
Metallic Silver
Blossom White
Line Striping Yellow (misted with True Orange)
Deep Blue / Sapphire (50-50 mix)
Claret Wine

Irongladiator I mis-spoke...

I forgot that the red portion of the Jetpack was airbrushed as well. I was frustrated by the over spray from the rattlecans and having to tape the rest of it off.

So, the red I used was Humbrol 73

Boochman - Nice....heading out to the Hobby store soon, I'll give it a look! (y)
That's one of the things I dislike about Rattlecans......overspray, even if you attempt to lightly mist it on, sometimes it gives off that look.

-Iron

Boochman
I'm a going with your recommendation of Humbrol 73. Here's what I got while out at the hobby store.
Tamiya X-11 - Chrome Silver
Tamiya X-2 - White
Humbrol - #73 (Wine)
Humbrol - #104 (Oxford Blue)
Vallejo - Game Air 72.707 (Gold Yellow)
Jet Pack Paints.jpg

I'm hoping this'll be sufficient for my needs. #FingersCrossed

-Iron

Looks like quite the loot you got there! The wine color looks very maroon on the little tin, but it’s more red when sprayed for sure!

Best of luck - pick up some of that frog tape delicate surface for taping off painted sections (the yellow frog tape). Don’t do what I did...

Boochman
My Jetpack Kit came in pieces, so I'll be using the XTC-3D stuff on all the pieces separately to rid it of them pesky "Print Lines" and then gonna attempt to paint it all.....also separately, and then assemble. I also got a good tip if your going about it this way to NOT paint the pieces (or use XTC-3D) where you intend on adhering it all together. (y) #ProTip

I totally know what yer talking about, when you mean its not the same as on the cap. That Vallejo Game Color "Gory Red" looked amazing for the Gauntlet color I thought and I think it turned out not too shabby on muh gauntlets either. I shook it up in the store and took the cap off and the color looked damn near spot on! I love it when you don't have to mix paints and you can use it right out of the bottle. Sure ya still need to add in some flow improver for the airbrush but that's all I added.

Also picked up some "Hobby" masking tape. I'm NOT looking to ruin any work here if I can help it. So yeah, definitely NOT gonna use Scotch Blue Masking tape for ANY of my Boba Build! ;) For that....I got me some Tamiya tapes that'll do the job. Already used some of that tape on my Gauntlets and worked great! Especially where you had to kinda curve out those four corners of that black spot on the right gauntlet. I picked up that white tape at the end there cause it said it was capable of doing Curves. Which be helpful when doing the helmet cheeks areas.
Hobby Tape.jpg

Gonna blast through my EE-3 kit this weekend and hopefully post it in my WIP and then off to my Jetpack!

-Iron

I used the Scotch delicate surface for my masking needs where I had just painted. If I was masking over paper of an area that didn't matter I used the less expensive blue painters tape. Just trying to save a few bucks. You will go through huge amounts of tape.

Here are the paints I used on my pack. The metallic brilliant silver is a really good base. It goes on even and looks amazing.
20200905_080446[1].jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back