ROTJ Bucket now with Paint

WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!! omg, thats a dead on helm!! You raised the bar higher, my friend...I'm saving my pennies for one of those when they're ready...Great Job!!(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been a while huh?? I was able to smuggle out one quick teaser pic to show of this sucker with some paint
slapped on it. Yes, its far from done but I had to give everyone a peek! ;)

DSC00022b.png

OK, this one even blows this ESB guy away... And no TK-Fett, these are actually not Floquil paints. PM me for paint codes
if interested.

Unt654itled-2.png

Again, theres still some time left to put into this baby but it does give a good idea as to what this bucket will
look like painted up.

Since I have had an overwhelming amount of PMs about this paint up, I guess I'll just post them in this thread
once I have the list of paints straight. Give me a day or 2 to gather the info... ;)

OK guys, here we go...

The maker and I have been researching this for quite sometime. Recently, there were some new developments that filled in a couple of the blanks. No one, however, is claiming any of this research as gospel. Yet. We're still pinning down some facts. But there are certain pieces of the puzzle that fit like a glove. This is also not to discount the more recent Floquil/Poly S. finds either. It's obvious that these paints WERE used, the question that still remains is, in what capacity. Were they in fact used as base colors, or just for air brushed weathering. It may stand to reason that the base colors could have come out of larger spray can, and that the air brush sized bottles of Floquil and Poly S. were used for detailing, i.e.; misting, weathering ect.

So far this is what we've gathered to date. It may come as a suprise to some of you. These colors have even been around for quite a while, and discounted in the past already. It could be subject to change if there are new developments. But as you can see by the pic that I posted, we're close at the very least.

The SHORT version.

An Aussie based company, Dulux, that started in 1918, was renamed in 1998 to Orica. Prior to this, Dulux owned British Paints. British Paints, a Euro company partenered with DuPont, developed a line of paints in the late 1970's for MG Midgets, Triumph's and Spitfires. Most of the particular colors in question were discontinued by British Paints, and carried on by Rust-O-Leum Paints in 1978. A few other colors, were carried on by Krylon, now a subsidiary of DuPont, actually started as a Euro copany in the late 60's called E.I. duPont de Nemours and Company. The formulations were changed a bit in '78 during the changeovers. Rustoleum attempted to keep the colors more true to their origins as Krylon did. But failed pretty miserably. Plasti-Kote took a few of the colors as well.

Wether they painted the suits in the U.K., or if they painted them in the U.S, the paints were available both here and abroad. So was LFL. :lol: That much cannot be argued. Although the maker of the helmet is a believer (as many of you are) that the Pre-Pro and ROTJ were painted in the U.S..

How does this relate to LFL, and Boba Fett? Well, we're awaiting confirmation on a few last details before we go there. Until then, these colors look great. The closest we've seen to date for ROTJ. They're nearly right off the shelf. No mixing, no hassle. And they're shared here for you to do with as you please. Nothing to hide, no games to play. You be the judge. But, as with anything else in life, I have to say, "Use at your own risk"

---------------Non-U.S. mfg. codes circa 1977 ----------------

Tundra Green BLVC94 - Dome and Cheeks

Charcoal Green GN29 - Inner Cheeks

Brooklands Green BLVC169 - Back

Carmine Red BLVC209 - Mandibles

Below is a collage illustrating the original color chips, and their real life translations.

oricadulux.png

--------------- U.S. translations (Present Counterparts)--------------

Rust-Oleum Premium Spruce Green - dome and cheeks
(No Krylon Equivilent)

Rust-Oleum Premium Satin Charcoal Green 7739 - inner cheeks
(Krylon Black and Krylon Satin Hunter Green Mistings)

Rust-Oleum Premium Dark Hunter Green 7733 - back
(Very different from Krylon Satin Hunter Green)

Krylon rusty red (Not Ruddy Brown) - mandibles
(PlastiKote Red Oxide)

The U.S. counterparts actually lost something in translation through the years. Obviously, as they have been used by board members, mixed, and matched to no avail. The Rust-O-Leum Spruce Green is actually quite a bit different from the original Tundra Green due to the changes in formulation. After obtaining a small sample of the original Tundra Green, the maker decided to try to get it mixed (reproduced) by Sherwin Williams. They were able to match it, and reproduce it, and with a faster drying formulation, much like Krylon. Since Rust-O-Leum paints tend to not to dry for DAYS anyway, this was not a problem. The other paint colors lost as much in translation from originals as well.

As of this posting, the basic colors that were used for this helmet are as follows .. only the main base this evening … the rest to follow in a few days.

-------------------Base Colors -------------------------------

Sherwin Williams Master Blend EZ Touch - dome and cheeks
Product # F77V100
Color Code # 10817 DK. Green
(In lieu of Orica/Dulux Tundra Green / Rust-O-Leum Spruce)

to come - inner cheeks

to come - back

to come - mandibles

------------------ Weathering -------------------------------

Model Master Stainless Steel Metalizer - Darker metallic areas

Krylon Silver - Brighter silver areas

Duplicolor Gray Primer - Misc Mistings

These mixtures can be purchased from any local Sherwin Williams provided you have the codes. The maker has put a lot of time and effort into this. The price will vary from store to store. That's up to you to check into. But it's probably still cheaper than buying an air brush setup if that's what you're hung up on.

Again, let the pic I posted be the judge.

More to come ...

Wow, those are very cool colors! It should definitely help several members in painting and improving the accuracy of their Jedi buckets.

However in regard to the paints used on the real helmets, I can say that Orica paints were not used on the Jedi helmet. This information comes directly from the individual who painted the the very same Jedi hero helmet in your comparison photo, which is currently at the Magic of Myth Exhibit. While prop maker's memories can be quite spotty, as the prop maker does not remember the individual colors used, they have a picture of floquil bottles sitting next to barely painted raw helmets beside an airbrush. The prop maker said no spray cans were used on the helmets, only the types of paints on the table, which were floquil. If anyone has solid evidence to the contrary, I'd defintely be interested in seeing it. But at this point, I have to take the word of the person who painted the Jedi helmet with the paints appearing in their photos.

That being said, I do believe the colors look great compared to the colors in that particular photo. Using a completely different brand of paints, you've created an excellent color code list. Thanks for the share!

(Btw- yes, the helmets were painted in the US)

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back