Re-buildng/painting a Don Post Deluxe Boba Fett helmet

BH 19713

Hunter
Hi,

Im in the progress of repainting my 1996 don post boba fett deluxe helmet. unfortunatly the foam behind the fabric on the inside started to degenerate, Which makes it very very sticky. Have any of you an idea of cleaning this up? Ps: didnt know the left and right ears are metal ;-) Its a very cool helmet because it has all the damage engraved in it and its realy thick fibreglass.

Attachments

• DSC_0737.JPG
    DSC_0737.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 221
  • DSC_0738.JPG
    DSC_0738.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 226
Jango666
I think jhfagan had a '96 Don Post and re-finished his if I recall correctly. Not sure if he's encountered the same issues as you but it's worth asking.

Best,
-Iron
I HAVE a Don Post Deluxe, but it's in fantastic condition!
All I had to do was carefully tighten the bolt for the range finder through the inside fabric, so not to tear it.
My repair job was on my Don Post Std vinyl helmet.

I wonder if you could seal/cover it up. I wouldn't want any solvent to eat away at the fiberglass coating.

Well, I managed to remove the most of it with oil. And later cleaned it with a scotch sponge and soap. After drying it, I rubbed it with a sandpaper.

Attachments

• DSC_0743 1.JPG
    DSC_0743 1.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 168
After cutting the rest of the visor out, I primed the interior with a water based paint. Doesnt look that bad. Well, its just the inside so who cares. At least the stickynes is gone :)
DSC_0743.JPG

Jango666
I'm not familiar with the '96 Don Post Deluxe Helmets. I have a '95 Don Post Std Vinyl Helmet and its paint job was something of a ESB/ROTJ hybrid. It had the 14 ESB straight yellow kill stripes (and not the orange faded to yellow either) with Silver ROTJ Ear caps. I'm not sure if the '96 Don Post had a similar paint job.

I've actually butchered my '95 with the idea of re-using it for my ROTJ Build - but ended up going with a Boba Maker ROTJ VX helmet instead. But I'm planning a paint job on it this winter.
Iron's Don Post 1.jpg

Iron's Don Post 2.jpg

Iron's Don Post 3.jpg

But I'm curious to see what you come up with!
1632509640664.png
1632509646675.png

Best,
-Iron

Yep, the paint job done by don post was awfull. Im not kidding either lol
Ah, yes...yes it was.
That's what I loved about it. lol
I mean, I like an accurate paint job, but the DP just had some love from me for what it was when it came out.
We had nothing that good then, and it was leaps and bounds above anything else at the time.
Memories I suppose!
Still , looking forward to your repaint!
I'm sure the helm will support a good paint job.

Jango666
It looks like Don Post also used the same Range Finder Stalk and Topper for both his Deluxe and Standard editions. Last year, I wanted to see what it would look like with a slight upgrade and installed my Boba Maker Metal Stalk and Topper to my Don Post helmet. And.....
BM vs DP.jpg

I've got a complete BH-51512 range finder kit on it's way for my Boba Maker Helmet, which means I can then use the BM one for my DP.
1632518815401.png

-Iron

Last edited:
Jango666
It look like Don Post also used the same Range Finder Stalk and Topper for both his Deluxe and Standard editions. Last year, I wanted to see what it would look like with a slight upgrade and installed my Boba Maker Metal Stalk and Topper to the Don Post. And.....
View attachment 215631

I've got a complete BH-51512 range finder kit on it's way for my Boba Maker Helmet, which means I can then use the BM one for my DP.
View attachment 215632

-Iron
Nice, I also ordered a BM stalk and topper to upgrade my DP. As wel as a visor.
Its gonna take some time to paint the helmet with all the layers. Sinds its my first attempt to do a full paint on a helmet. The stensils dont quite match the helmet so I have to improvise a bit.

So, I managed to put on the first layer of concrete. I decided not to do a full layered paintjob sinds the stencils dont quite match the helmet.
Gonna paint it the same way as AFFO$ did.
DSC_0761.JPG

Stensiled the backpanels, masked them with maskol. Then tommorow the green/blue over it.
DSC_0765.JPG

How do you get the mask out liquid completely off after it's been layered and painted over multiple times, w/o effing up the final paint around it and really scraping it off and flaking it?
I tried before and the mask liquid is almost indistinguishable from the surrounding paint to me sometimes, and I don't want to over scrape to get it off properly.

jhfagan
I had that very same concern when doing up my Jetpack last year, and I ended up sealing EVERY time I layed on new paint. So....
1) Paint
2) Seal it up!
3) Liquid Mask
4) Paint
5) Peel up Liquid Masking
6) Seal it up!
7) Repeat....

Not sure if that's how the pros on here do it, but I did it that way and it worked out well for me.
1634084178371.png
1634084183597.png

Best,
-Iron

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back